Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 14:45   #16

Need some advice on a chevrolet purchase

Hi all,

I am contemplating purchasing a Chevrolet UVA car soon. I need some help
regarding the following

1. Is it worth going for the 3 year warranty scheme. The dealer says that I have to pay the 10k amount for it( free for 2009 model only)

2. What would be the best tyre make for the car. I have read some posts here and have mentioned to the dealer about some of the problems faced by some people regd Goodyear for example , which the dealer might put. Please can the owners or experienced people help me out here in choosing the correct type - so that i can insist on that if possible.

Also, a request to owners of UVA - if you have any other tips which you can offer , I would be grateful. This is my first car purchase- but seem to like t
Just would like to get the best deal from the dealer.

Thanks
belur

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st March 2010 at 15:03. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelur View Post
Hi all,

I am contemplating purchasing a Chevrolet UVA car soon. I need some help
regarding the following

1. Is it worth going for the 3 year warranty scheme. The dealer says that I have to pay the 10k amount for it( free for 2009 model only)

It is definitely worth. Very soon this model will have a major upgrade and the 3 year scheme will ensure some peace of mind to an owner of the older model.

2. What would be the best tyre make for the car. I have read some posts here and have mentioned to the dealer about some of the problems faced by some people regd Goodyear for example , which the dealer might put. Please can the owners or experienced people help me out here in choosing the correct type - so that i can insist on that if possible.

The top end LT with option pack is equipped with decent 185/65 tyres. The lower models have puny 155/80s. We did Gurgaon-Srinagar-Gulmarg-Amritsar-Gurgaon in the LS with stock Goodyear 155/80s without any problem in September last.

Also, a request to owners of UVA - if you have any other tips which you can offer , I would be grateful. This is my first car purchase- but seem to like t
Just would like to get the best deal from the dealer.

Thanks
belur
I have given my inputs in bold above. Please note that the U-VA that I have some experience with is not mine but my brother's.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 3rd March 2010 at 19:48.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:10   #18

Thanks for the update.

Do you think, it is still advisable to upgrade to the tyre type which LT gets
(I am going for LS) ?? I am slightly worried abt this as some polls and comments
have not been very favorable of GoodYear.

Also, did you mean a new UVA model is coming out soon? -

Thanks
swaroop
Old 4th March 2010, 10:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

At that price, you will get better options. The LS version is bare bones and does not even have a tacho.

The interiors are roomy but pretty basic.
Moreover, the U-va is in for a face lift which in pics looks a lot better than the current one in India.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:00   #20
BHPian

The U-VA is a solid car which is often underrated. Not too great on performance, but it's got great ride, loads of space, and is refined. If you're OK with the looks, it's a great choice. It will give you some identity in a sea of Marutis, and I would choose it for that reason alone. Personally, I think that the design by Italdesign is great. If you're keen on it, I'd advise waiting till the facelifted model arrives, because it will have better resale. You can check it out on Wikipedia.

Quote:
Definitely go for it. Extended warranties are always advised if you're intending to keep a car for a long time. And this isn't just a warranty, it's an all-inclusive service package including parts and labour, AFAIK.

Quote:
Go for Apollo Aceleres. That's what GM puts on the Spark and the Beat, and they get rave reviews every time for the excellent handling. If possible, get the alloys of the LT (14" vs 13" of the LS) along with 185/65 Apollo rubber. If you have a higher budget, get Yokohamas. I have them on my 800 and they've totally changed the handling of the car.

Don't be afraid to ask for freebies/discounts from the dealer. The U-VA is a slow selling car. Use that to your advantage. Always buy at the end of the month, they'll be worried about their targets and will make deals they would have refused earlier in the month. I remember that I was offered the top of the line Chevy Spark for 4L on road. Spark is a good selling car, but the sales guy offered a discount because it was the 25th of the month.

The team-bhp checklist for purchasing a new car is an invaluable resource. Take a printout and keep it with you.

Last edited by vivekgk : 2nd May 2010 at 21:16.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:23   #21
BHPian

I have the LS model since the last 2 years now. The first thing I did was upgrade to 14" alloys and better rubber (straight out of the showroom). The showroom quoted an insane amount for the tires upgrade to the one that comes on the LT model. I am now running Yoko ES100 (195/60 R14) - excellent grip and cornering confidence!

As for the car itself - I have had no issues at all with it in my ownership, touch wood. I only took a one-year warranty plan (because I wanted to mod as quickly as possible ).

The stock car is decently powered, plenty of interior space, sober interiors, solid build quality and very comfortable. A friend of mine who bought a Swift only a couple of weeks ago commented that his Swift rattles more than my U-VA does even after two years.

Black looks better than the other colors IMO. Would be glad to offer you any pointers!

Last edited by the_maassk : 3rd May 2010 at 10:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks