Team-BHP - Heart says Swift, Pocket says Santro!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Heart says Swift, Pocket says Santro! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/24790-heart-says-swift-pocket-says-santro.html)

Hi TBhpians,

Greetings from a confused member!
I have been talking to various members here about buying a new car (2nd Esteem or new Santro), almost decided on Xing XL considering the following factors:
a) max budget of 4L
b) easy on pocket for maintenance
c) good resale value
I was ready to invest 1L from my pocket and rest as EMI, a max of 8k at it.

However am surprised how an hour's test drive can change perspective, had a test drive of Swift today afternoon and ive fallen for it, I have been hating swift for its bulbous looks but a td vanished it all!

Heart says Swift (even though the td vehicle had been badly abused, i still loved the drive), Brain says Xing XL.

Confused! Someone please talk to me through this.
TChau,
+Rocky_Balboa+

As any car lover would say, let your heart rule.
5 years ago my head took a decision, I don't regret it most of the times, though some time I just wonder what was I thinking.
Just stating the facts for you. Rest its upto you.

That said, I am sure that you won't regret buying a swift over a santro, but a year later you may wonder why didn't you spend that little extra. :)

are you considering only these 2 in your 4 L budget? There are more choices now - i think the Spark fits in the budget doesnt it?

Rocky, quite a difficult situation to be in this... buying a new car.
Go with your heart here. The Swift will not dissappoint. Its much better than going for a Santro and then lusting after any Swift you see (which is quite common nowadays!!).

EDIT :
Quote:

Still Less common than santro for sure
Ajay, he doesnt lust after the Santro. :)

Rocky, I was in the exact same situation couple of months ago... was breaking my head over the choice between the Santro and the WagonR. Didn't like the rear end design of the Swift at all... so didn't even take a TD the first time I went to the Maruti showroom. Then one day my friend dragged me for a TD and guess what, 5 mins was all it took to clear my doubts... getting delivery of my Swift Vxi with ABS this weekend :-)

I didn't want a commuting vehicles, there'r enough cabs on the road for that... I wanted a car for doing what I love - driving! If u also fall into the same category, close ur eyes and go for the Swift...

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 458203)
Rocky, quite a difficult situation to be in this... buying a new car.
Go with your heart here. The Swift will not dissappoint. Its much better than going for a Santro and then lusting after any Swift you see (which is quite common nowadays!!).

Still Less common than santro for sure :p . Rocky, Swift is definitely better car and slightly costlier too, but its worth the money.Test drive both of them more than once properly and note the differences. Extra moolah you spend can be considered as investment....you will get it back in form of resale value, which if well maintained Swift should fetch more.
All the best.

Heart and brain are rarely in sync with each other. No matter what you choose you won't feel disappointed. If you are planning to keep your car for more than 3 years, go for Swift and manage that extra cash required.

Edit : Also note that the current santro may be phased out by year end.

balboa,i have been fortunate to currently use both of your short listed vehicles, the swift feels leagues ahead in the small car seg,in terms of the engine (smooth and silent), drive, interiors cabin size & space etc another observation even if one sits with two fairly healthy passengers in the front you dont feel the congestion or elbow knocks, as i have experienced in the santro xing (but xing xl is value for money and returns a decent FE)..then again, its heart over mind!!swift is a clear winner .... all the best with your choice...

Thanks people, please keep them coming :)
Me and my Wife are going to keep the car for an year and 1/2 max, now thats also a big constraint why the brain says Santro!!!

Follow your heart, Brain will follow on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa (Post 458229)
Me and my Wife are going to keep the car for an year and 1/2 max, now thats also a big constraint why the brain says Santro!!!

That changes things, take a santro. I reckon you want a bigger car later. So don't splurge on the swift now, go for a santro, save the moolah and upgrade then!

A car on 4 wheels is a neccessity, anything beyond is pleasure,
If you want as a neccessity go for the Alto. otherwise the Swift is far ahead and better.
One life, and must enjoy it, why have regrets later,
the saying goes thus= kaal kare so aaj kar, aaj kare so ab. why wait for 2 years!!

Still I would say swift as I am sure your perspective of keeping the car for only 1.5 years will change after you start loving your car the way i do . In case you are hell bent on selling it in 1.5 years then go for an alto man, why waste money on the Santro ?? Fuel up your savings and buy a SX4 !!! .... :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa (Post 458229)

So swift is out .. go for santro

Thanks tsk1979 and others.
We are looking at moving out of india 1 1/2yrs from now, hence the smaller car option. And when we return We would like a Civic to be our racehorse(s) ;)