Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 20:03   #1
BHPian

Opinions on Swift Zxi safety

Hi,

I've been looking to change my nearly decade old Zen for some time now, and have been getting confused with all the different choices, etc., but an incident last weekend on the way to Aurangabad seems to have made up my choice for me. As I came out of a curve, I found myself face-to-face with a lorry... slammed on the brakes, veered to the left and thankfully avoided the lorry, which had simultaneously moved back into it's lane.

So... I've decided to put safety first for my next purchase and have ended up deciding to go for Swift Zxi - because of it's good safety/crash rating, ABS and airbags, I feel that it is the safest choice in the small car segment.

I just wanted some opinions about my choice. I like to go for long drives... however I generally don't drive too fast, rarely exceeding 100kmph, and never above 120. But I learnt now that's it not all up to me :( and hence the emphasis on safety.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Amit.
Old 7th June 2007, 22:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a sound choice, in terms of safety and overall packaging.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

In the price range your looking at IMO the Swift zxi is the best option. Airbags, EBD and ABS can save your life in case of a crash and IMO thats the one you should go for. The Getz has ABS but no Airbags and its better to get a zxi which has more safety features.

Last edited by khanak : 7th June 2007 at 23:31.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:45   #4
BHPian

Swift is a good car in terms of safety !! I have read many test reports in auto mags which indicates its a safe car when it comes to driver safety...
Old 8th June 2007, 09:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

From my personal experience the Swift ZXi is a very good option. I am absolutely in love with ABS. Has gotten me out of a number of sticky situations. For safety in its class nothing even comes close to it.
Old 8th June 2007, 10:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

I recommned the ZXi to although, I have rarely activated the ABS but I have experienced what ABS can do. Suggest you walk around a few Maruti body repair shops and see the number of totalled swifts - most of them have the passenger cell intact so assuming the driver was wearing a seatbel, he walked out intact!

Last edited by ajmat : 8th June 2007 at 10:22.
Old 8th June 2007, 10:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

I drive a ZXi swift and it is a good sturdy car with good solid cabin.....and the drive is also like a big car like a sedan......the only negative in swift is the mileage of 10-12 kpl if can live with that then the swift is the car for you....
Old 8th June 2007, 10:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So... I've decided to put safety first for my next purchase and have ended up deciding to go for Swift Zxi - because of it's good safety/crash rating, ABS and airbags, I feel that it is the safest choice in the small car segment.
Swift is a good choice
Quote:
I like to go for long drives... however I generally don't drive too fast, rarely exceeding 100kmph, and never above 120. But I learnt now that's it not all up to me :( and hence the emphasis on safety.
2 of friends own Swift. They feel it is a better highway car than a city car.
Quote:
As I came out of a curve, I found myself face-to-face with a lorry... slammed on the brakes, veered to the left and thankfully avoided the lorry, which had simultaneously moved back into it's lane.
Before ABS, Airbags, the biggest safety device is the driver.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead with the Swift ZXi. No other car beats it what it offers in that range / price.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:53   #10
BHPian

There was four car pile up in Lokhandvala junction a month back. Swift ZXi collided with a car comming at rt angle at more than 70kmph. Both air bags got deployed and both front people survived with minor scratch. Passenger at back died! He was not wearing seat belt. So go for ZXi.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:07   #11
BHPian

Swift ZXi is a nice choice dude. I saw a ZXi go down the side of a hill big time (luckily there was a slope, so he didn't fly down) and the guy survived due to the airbags and the strong A pillar. That was at the Raid de Himalaya 2006 though. I assume you do not plan to do something as crazy in your new ride.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:08   #12
BHPian

Thanks!!!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies and information. Its a great help towards finalizing my decision.

@msdivy: I agree that the driver is the single biggest factor as prevention is better than cure - but it's nice to tilt the odds in your favor as sometimes you can't account for the other driver

Thanks,
Amit.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Swift ZXi is a nice choice dude. I assume you do not plan to do something as crazy in your new ride.
^Agreed. Julian when it comes to Vxi there can be many arguments... but Zxi is an eyes closed winner

Oye NK the safety features are for the 'unplanned' occurences (god forbid)
Old 8th June 2007, 14:21   #14
BHPian

question to all, just curious - other than the benefits of features like Airbags and ABS, wouldnt the distance to stop from say 80 or 100 kmph to 0, be an important (and a distinctly separate ) factor to consider for safety?
Old 8th June 2007, 14:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Boys
Today saw a Swift with a chopped of top and canvas roof
Cant figure out how he would have strenghtened the car to take the flex .
dont own a camera phone .

Most Viewed