Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2021, 12:38   #1
BHPian

Small, feature-rich car for the Mrs | EDIT: Booked Hyundai i20 1.0L Turbo Petrol DCT

Primary Requirement:
A small compact hatch which is feature rich and offers modern creature comforts for city duties.

Primary Driver:
Wife.
I would rate her as a good driver (even when she’s not listening) So she’s trustworthy behind the wheel. Has managed a Figo Titanium before on long term and is comfortable with hatchbacks. Has been ‘designated driver’ of choice for safe return, post many a blurry night. She’s however uncomfortable with clutchless cars and might need getting used to automatics. She did struggle with SPresso AMT we have at my parents’ home and avoided switching places when we went intercity on a Creta AT. She loves fresh, good interiors and premium appointments.

After the Figo sale, there has been a long hiatus with respect to the second car in the house as requirements and situations didn’t demand one.

This year we felt we do need a small car for the wife again, for some occasional work related travel, school drops, market runs etc within the city. We didn’t think about it much and as a stop gap for the last 6 months we have been managing with a pre owned Swift. Basic and gets the job done. We have to let it go though, due to unavoidable reasons.

Secondary Driver:
Me.

I’m a SUV guy and have preferred large ladder frames over low slung sedans. I’ve been driving the first generation Storme since it’s launch and have not yet found a worthy replacement for it. But that’s a different thread altogether. Ergo, I’m not a hatch guy and have not been following hatches especially the interesting launches recently.

Driving the swift again, returning to hatches after long, I’m suddenly reminded of the pleasures of a small car. Meandering through small lanes and tiny parking slots give me a joy I seem to have missed with my burly Safari. I’m also guilty of the long forgotten feeling that only zippy petrols give.

Family Requirement:

As a family we have started to feel requirement of a new car. We would like to invest in the safety options available today which were unheard of in our previous cars. Nice features and well appointed interiors are sorely missed.

In our pursuit for next car, I stick with my SUV requirements and my wife is pro small hatches as she finds big burly SUVs intimidating.

Cars have become obscenely expensive and I had been planning that the next car could be a one car do all for the family and so I should go for a premium well built SUV laden with features which probably both of us can drive, meeting each other in the middle. Maybe something like the Compass. But eyes watered after seeing what it costs on road today.

And with one car do all, the advantage of having two independent cars at a time is lost and one of us would have to always compromise or suffer.

Two cars makes sense. So we figured we go in for a new small hatch for her with all creature comforts while I continue to hunt for bare bones SUVs when the time and option comes to replace Storme. Probably I could do even preowned route also for the next large depreciating SUV since we would have a solid new small car in the family for primary duties. Which also relegates my suv to secondary status and I can compromise family and plush requirements, thus bringing price down of the SUV when we get there and get away with a heart purchase. ( see where I’m sneakily going with this? )

So the hatch it is now. I would request for user inputs and expert opinions from our Tbhp community to help me wade through these unchartered A,B segment waters.

Checklist. Classified as Vital -Essential -Desirable.

Vital.

Safe car.- Good safety track record. While absolute perfect 5 GNCAP stars may not be vital, we would like to steer away from zero star tin cans with known crumple tendencies.

Good build - This segment no more belongs exclusively to budget players. Some good solid cars have entered the ring making it exciting .

Premium interiors- We want the car to feel like a luxury barge (relative to the segment) This is key to keep the car fresh and make us feel as a worthy upgrade.

Features- We hold cars for long . Future proof features which would help us hold the car longer and not go out of date in 3 years are vital.

Driver seat adjust and ergonomics- I’m tall and my wife is short. So height adjust and possibility to work the ergos for both of us is vital. She should be able to see all around in her highest and closest driving position and I should be able to manage to slide the seat back and sit low. I can manage without complaints (as always) if it’s tight for me but the car should be biased towards helping a shorter driver get best driving position.

Essential.

Size -compact as possible to park and putter around effortlessly. Don’t unnecessarily want to move up to Compact sedan with tiny boot as we don’t need it and the price should be kept in check. Hence hatch will do. Also let’s not go the hatch on stilts/ pretend SUV way and splurge money on altitude please.

Transmission - It would be nice to have an automatic which looks precisely advantageous for this particular use case. But since wife is comfortable with manual, and it would help keep price in check, I’m open to stick shift also.

Features- those good to have features which cost a bomb in a large car have trickled down to hatches and can be experienced at an affordable price bracket. That’s what we’re gunning for. So pump up the feature list please. Are there sunroof hatches I wonder.

Engine- Not particular about diesel/petrol. A good motor married to the gearbox is all we need. If petrol keeps the overall purchase cost in check then would prefer petrol as the other large car would be diesel. Break even despite costlier petrol cost/litre is not valid as running would be low.

Wife is sedate driver and doesn’t corner carve. She was very happy when she got a speeding ticket on express way once and counts it as a lifetime adventure experience.

As I’m the secondary driver, a FTD hatch would be an added bonus for occasional grins.

Fuss free ownership.

I want one car in the family to be fuss free and not popping surprises now and then, or requiring constant visits to service Center to fix a faulty bulb here or a failed sensor there. Sorted, niggle free experience please.

Desirable:

Body exterior: Has to tick the ‘chick hatch’ box in terms of style and colour. So good looks from the ladies’ perspective will win brownie points. Doesn’t matter if I will have to cover my face driving a pista green hatch. Should also enjoy bragging rights amongst the lady friends gang meeting up on weekday afternoons which seems to be a new thing I can’t comprehend (and wisely I keep shut).

New Car Let’s not go the preowned route because at the budget and considering we would like to keep the car long and also need this to be a fuss free ownership (all headaches are reserved for my next SUV probably)

Pedigree: Can we sneak in a European experience at this budget? I’m a Skoda type guy when it comes to interiors and clever features. And it would be nice to have that German feel in our garage. Again since it’s a smaller car I can afford to maintain it rather than say, a larger Kodiaq perhaps.

Manufacturer: We ve had the Nano and the Safari so Tata’s been there, done that . Would desire new better A.S.S experience from other makers but if winner of this battle is Tata, then not averse to the idea of going again to Tata either. I’m open to any Indian, Korean, European worth its salt.

Budget - 10lacs Ex showroom. Ambitious and greedy? Maybe. But I trust the community to find me a diamond in the rough.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Small, feature-rich car for the Mrs | EDIT: Booked Hyundai i20 1.0L Turbo Petrol DCT

I think the i20 may be a good choice for your requirements. I can't comment on it's safety but it has good interiors and is a pretty stable vehicle. I am not sure you will get all features under 10L (highly unlikely) but there needs to be a stretch here and there.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Small, feature-rich car for the Mrs | EDIT: Booked Hyundai i20 1.0L Turbo Petrol DCT

You may consider the Altroz iTurbo XZ+.

It is a good combination of Snazzy Styling, Solid 5-Star Build & Adequate Power.
It is adequately loaded too, with respect to features.
abhishek46 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:17   #4
AZT
BHPian

The Honda Jazz should be good. May even get the CVT if you can stretch a little over 10l budget
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:27   #5
BHPian

Hi.

Considering your requirements you can check POLO GT TSI automatic. It will age well, it has good safety ratings and will be easy to manoeuvre.

Let her test drive all the cars.
smileline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:29   #6
BHPian

Other than the options suggested above you could look at the following
  • Tata Punch : Good build quality - 5 star rated, acceptable performance upto 90 Km/hr, decent interiors, new product - would be a head turner, SUVish look and feel, ample space and viewability.
  • Volkswagen Polo : Good build quality - 4 star rated , fun to drive and good dynamics, turbo charged engine with an option for torque converter automatic
  • Nissan Magnite / Renault Kiger :Not a hatch but a sub compact SUV, good build quality - 4 star rated, CVT option available, Turbo charged engine available, good space, ASS experience doubtful.
  • Tata Tiago / Tiago NRG : Good build quality - 4 star rated, decent engine - would be enough for a sedate driver, performance upto 90 Km/hr would be acceptable, popular product so ASS experience shouldn't be bad

Last edited by RR96 : 10th December 2021 at 15:39.
RR96 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:44   #7
BHPian

The Punch and Altroz from the Tata stable are worth their salt.

The i20 Turbo Petrol iMT is getting rave reviews. Do go through the recent ownership review posted on the forum.

The grand i10 Nios is a smooth driver as well.
IamNikhil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:50   #8
BHPian

1. Altroz iTurbo - has everything you need. Space, luxury, compliant ride, decently peppy, 5 star safety.
2. VW polo. Short on features and ancient, but still does not look out of place looks wise.
3. Honda Jazz - Big car feel, comfortable, super silent engine but low on gizmos.

These 3 will be my shortlist. I am leaving out i20 for lack of safety rating and penny by penny, Grand i10 Nios makes better sense (would be my 4th choice, above i20).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Primary Requirement:
A small compact hatch which is feature rich and offers modern creature comforts for city duties.

Primary Driver:
Wife.
I would rate her as a good driver (even when she’s not listening) So she’s trustworthy behind the wheel. Has managed a Figo Titanium before on long term and is comfortable with hatchbacks. Has been ‘designated driver’ of choice for safe return, post many a blurry night. She’s however uncomfortable with clutchless cars and might need getting used to automatics. She did struggle with SPresso AMT we have at my parents’ home and avoided switching places when we went intercity on a Creta AT. She loves fresh, good interiors and premium appointments.
I would add i20 automatic to the list , it will overshoot your budget but if you're going to pamper your better half, may as well go for the premium of premium hatchback.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 17:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I would add i20 automatic to the list , it will overshoot your budget but if you're going to pamper your better half, may as well go for the premium of premium hatchback.
I appreciate your direction of thought. That’s the territory we are looking for.
Is this the i20 n line we are talking about?
Old 10th December 2021, 17:51   #11
BHPian

Sorry for my inability to write an unbiased review!

I drive a Polo 1.2 MPI - and in the category of hatchbacks could not have asked for more. The Polo 1.0 MT TSI may be worth a shot subject to your test driving it - I have not test driven it to know.

The Polo ticks off most of the stuff on your checklist, except maybe the long-term ownership part. My individual experience is that my 1.2 MPI is extremely fuss-free - just an annual run to the workshop, that's all. Though I have seen reviews of some injector failures etc., which personally I have never experienced.

A comprehensive b2b insurance and the extended warranty for sure are mandatory. Parts are way more expensive in comparison to most of the Indian or the Japanese brands.

In terms of driving experience, handles well on curves, bad roads, aquaplanes etc. without any of the tyres lifting off that easily - extremely planted. Easy to manoeuvre in crowded marketplaces and very easy to park. Personally, I am a fan of the smart, no-nonsense design. Good boot-space. And cannot say enough - safe, safe, very safe!

Have owned a Polo previously (2013 model) - that car had a great low end. Have been in an accident in that one that could have been fatal in most of the other cars, but managed to come out on the other side almost without a scratch. When I tried to replace the car, fresh out of a traumatic experience, I could not make myself like anything else apart from another VW and that too a Polo primarily for my usage of taking it to work everyday as well as pick up groceries etc.

The top-end on this one is good, low-end feels different in that I have to step on the gas much sooner after leaving the clutch on an incline - I will leave it upto the pundits to explain why, but this one has a better fuel economy (seen 15 on city roads).

In terms of service, the Kolkata service center (one of them that I have used so far) is as bad as how great the Delhi one was. They don't have parts and they have no respect for timelines to finish a job - but the experience might be totally different wherever you are.

Good luck with your hunt - and hope she has fun driving!
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 18:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I appreciate your direction of thought. That’s the territory we are looking for.
Is this the i20 n line we are talking about?
N Line is perhaps overkill, the normal i20 DCT should do just fine. A series of test drives should perhaps make the choice clearer. Never know what could be the deal breaker for the actual user of the vehicle.
Old 10th December 2021, 18:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
[b]Sorry for my inability to write an unbiased review!.

Good luck with your hunt - and hope she has fun driving!
Thanks for that detailed reply. Would surely put the Polo on the cards
Old 10th December 2021, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it, there really aren't any well built, practical, small and safe cars out there:
  • The Polo is too dated and too cramped; if you can live with the cramped interiors then it is definitely your best bet
  • The Altroz suffers from having to make do with a 3cyl petrol
  • The i20 may be another decent offering given you go for the right spec and understand exactly what it is and what it isn't; features and styling apart it somehow fails to tug at my heart strings
  • Maruti offerings in this space are great in all other aspects except safety and considering that, they seem quite overpriced

The way I see it, you either go for a used 1 series/A-Class/B-Class/Mini Cooper, or you check out the S-Cross and the MG Astor.

In today's market, manufacturers are no longer that interested in offering the 'ideal small car'. They'd rather offer a pseudo SUV simply in order to be able to command a higher starting price and thus secure a fatter margin. As a result you will tend to find better engineered and more well thought out cars that are of their time in the crossover segment. The S-Cross from my own personal skeptical standpoint, blew me over when I did a test drive of the supposedly bland 1.5 petrol 4 speed AT as well as the manual. The powertrain wasn't anything to write home about but Suzuki know what they are doing even with the poor on-paper specs it certainly deserved to be noted as feeling much better than any 3cylinder or any Hyundai petrol available in this segment, the cabin felt roomy and airy, the visibility and driving position made the car feel a lot smaller than it looks (and it isn't even big as such to begin with). I'd say please test drive one with your wife. It might not be exactly what you were looking for (wasn't in my case either) but you might find it more well rounded for long term ownership than any of the current small hatches. Don't bother about facelifted version coming out since it seems to be just a styling refresh and the discounts in place make it absolute value for money in the current scenario.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th December 2021 at 18:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 21:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

I may get a warning for this shortest message. Altroz ticks all your boxes as you are ok with Manual gear box. No explanation needed.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks