Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2022, 10:54   #16

Re: Honda Amaze vs Jazz dilemma | What makes the Jazz more expensive?

I have Honda Amaze CVT V model 2019. Bought in 2020, had 9k on Odo & got good deal. Even I was inclined to buy Jazz, however the good deal on Amaze made me tilt towards it. I don't regret buying Amaze. No problems till date. If you want to save money buy Amaze. Both Cars are good.
Ragsk747 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:59   #17
BHPian

Jazz is based on Honda City and Amaze is a brio with an extended boot.

The updated amaze is a new platform for small cars specially for SEA regions. Jazz/Fit and Honda city use the same platform. Outside India even the engines used in Honda City and Jazz are similar.

Last edited by VALLURIS : 11th April 2022 at 11:21. Reason: Edited
VALLURIS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:39   #18

Apart from being well built, practically the Jazz(hatch) should have more room than a sedan for the same exterior dimensions. For example a civic hatch is traditionally priced higher than the sedan version for the same reason.
akdwitter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:58   #19
BHPian

I too faced the same dilemma some time back, but as per my limited research:

1) Amaze is the compact sedan based on the smaller Brio platform, wheelbase = 2470mm
2) City is the sedan based on the larger Jazz platform, wheelbase = 2530mm

The deletion of Magic Seats (its true USP) and ISOFIX child seat mounts from the Jazz has tipped the scales in favour of the Amaze, which has ISOFIX rear seats.

The Amaze dint appeal to me the same way the Jazz did, so we picked up a GT TSI instead.
satya180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 13:33   #20
BHPian

Good day
Since I had owned a Brio, currently own an Amaze(2020 DCVT) and frequently drive a Jazz Diesel belonging to my Father in Law, let me give some quick pointers based on my experience.
Jazz is definitely better built. Everything including plastics, seat thickness etc. is at a level above.
Build quality of Amaze is comparable to that of the Brio. Though in my case it certainly felt like an upgrade due to the generation change.
Only reason why i went for Amaze instead of Jazz was due to the Diesel CVT combo.
The 1.2 L engine was fun in Brio but felt underpowered in the Amaze. I expect it to be the same in Jazz.
So if you are inclined on saving money go for Amaze. Choose white colour and trust me you can slip in anywhere undetected (Perfect camouflage). It is a sea of white amazes out there, especially in Kerala.
josetom89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 13:53   #21
BHPian

Jazz is based on the global City platform (the placing of fuel tank under front seats), while Amaze uses an evolved version of of the Brio platform,
which is a low cost platform built for emerging markets including India.

The difference in platform sophistication shows in the build, drive and NVH of both cars.

While the Amaze might be better equipped with ISOFIX mounts, projector auto headlamps, more boot space etc and even might be cheaper, still,
I would recommend you to go for Jazz, if you are fine purchasing an older gen car.
Flying Shadow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 14:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Now the deal is this, I cannot wrap my head around the fact that the Amaze is cheaper than a Jazz.
As soon as you enter cabin you get the answer,
couple of week back I was in a honda showroom helping a friend to chose a model, I sat inside Amaze and I was like Baleno, i20, Jazz seats / overall feel is better,

Bottomline is Amaze is built to cost, with narrow cabin, smaller seats and affordable components where are Jazz sits on the top

Basically its like experiencing base of sedans vs top end of Hatchbacks
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 16:18   #23
BHPian

Jazz is much better in terms of design, styling, issue free ownership and great mileage. I have 2015 CVT V and its been a great car so far.
My only grievance is the low ground clearance which I think can be circumvented by going for WRV instead of Jazz.
diablo29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 16:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
TD; LR: Jazz and the Amaze VX - CVT for the most part seem to be on par. Cannot understand why the Jazz is more expensive than the Amaze. Your inputs will be well appreciated to help me select one!
I think it would have been weird if the Amaze was more expensive than the Jazz. I think the BRV was slightly more expensive than the City, which I think is far superior despite the BRV being bigger and having an extra row of seats.

Jazz is a better built better designed car that's sold in global markets (such as in the USA under the name "Honda Fit").

To my mind Jazz has always been a premium car, and the Amaze was just another small sedan that was engineered for developing markets. Having said that, if I was in the market today for a premium hatchback, I'd seriously consider the Tata Altroz. Infact I would probably purchase the Altroz over the Amaze and the Jazz.

The inferiority of the Amaze was particularly evident with the 1st generation (no offense intended to owners). The 2nd generation is far better.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 18:42   #25
BHPian

I've owned and substantially used two Jazz Cars: a Diesel Manual and a petrol CVT since 2015. The amount of space & comfort Jazz pools in with a reliability like Honda - no one even comes close till date. I have used it at most terrains till now and have not faced a single issue. The underbody would scrape only on big bumps if taken at speed. If you can relate to, I have taken it with 5 adults to Mulshi & Tamhini Ghat and back to Pune City and crossed all bad roads. At sedate speeds, it doesn't touch the ground.

For normal roads, this is a gem of a car that will serve you longer than you expect. In both the cars I used, I did feel that the suspension was a tad stiff, however, even that got softer and more comfortable as the car crossed about 20k KMs. This isn't a problem for many but for minute observers like me. Its an absolute pleasure on highways. Go for it.

Amaze in all aspects is good too, but IMHO, go for it if you like sedans more than Hatchbacks and if Diesel Auto is your preference (not sure if Honda still offers Diesel Auto in Amaze). A few friends had Diesel Auto Amaze and they were in absolute awe of the vehicle's performance both pickup and mileage wise.
guru_to_be is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 18:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

If you think the manufacturer is being unrealistic with pricing, you should check out the used car market. Old jazz CVT (5-7 year old) are selling for close to the prices they sold at when new and amaze on the other hand has steep depreciation. Personally I'd choose a brio over either, but seems the jazz has a lot of rich fanboys
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 19:41   #27
BHPian

Amaze vs Jazz are like comparing chalk and cheese. Both are different products for very different markets. Jazz is Honda’s premium offering for the Western world where as Amaze is an Aam Junta ( common man’s’) car developed for the other half of the world. Amaze is a stretched Brio to give us Indians the badi gadi wali (Big car) feel. To get the feel of built quality it is best to compare a used Jazz with a used Amaze.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 21:05   #28
BHPian

Why don’t you explore a used 4th gen city automatic? You might get one in good condition for the same price as a new jazz/amaze.
I say this because your dad loves his cars and anyone who loves their cars will greatly appreciate a car with bigger/better engine, better driving dynamic etc etc.
City is a segment up in every way and if you find one in good condition, I’m sure the driver in him will choose it over the new one.

This is sort of the advice I give to any car lover, they will always be glad they bought a better car than a newer car.
speedracer05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 22:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsk747 View Post
I have Honda Amaze CVT V model 2019. Bought in 2020, had 9k on Odo & got good deal. Even I was inclined to buy Jazz, however the good deal on Amaze made me tilt towards it. I don't regret buying Amaze. No problems till date.
That's good to hear ! Your Amaze should have clocked distances over 5 digits now, please do draft in a ownership review. Amaze ownership reviews are few and far between. I'm especially interested to know how the car has aged. Please do pitch in with long term issues with panel rattles and suspension etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdwitter View Post
Apart from being well built, practically the Jazz(hatch) should have more room than a sedan for the same exterior dimensions. For example a civic hatch is traditionally priced higher than the sedan version for the same reason.
True. But in this case then the true comparison should be between the Jazz & City , no? But then, the 4 meter regulation plays spoil sport here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
I've owned and substantially used two Jazz Cars: a Diesel Manual and a petrol CVT since 2015. The amount of space & comfort Jazz pools in with a reliability like Honda - no one even comes close till date. I have used it at most terrains till now and have not faced a single issue. The underbody would scrape only on big bumps if taken at speed. If you can relate to, I have taken it with 5 adults to Mulshi & Tamhini Ghat and back to Pune City and crossed all bad roads. At sedate speeds, it doesn't touch the ground.

For normal roads, this is a gem of a car that will serve you longer than you expect. In both the cars I used, I did feel that the suspension was a tad stiff, however, even that got softer and more comfortable as the car crossed about 20k KMs. This isn't a problem for many but for minute observers like me. Its an absolute pleasure on highways. Go for it.

Amaze in all aspects is good too, but IMHO, go for it if you like sedans more than Hatchbacks and if Diesel Auto is your preference (not sure if Honda still offers Diesel Auto in Amaze). A few friends had Diesel Auto Amaze and they were in absolute awe of the vehicle's performance both pickup and mileage wise.
Our preference Petrol CVT. But thanks for your input regarding the performance. I was wondering how the car would perform on occasional highway trips especially minor ghat sections and also humps higher than the ghat inclines during the few trips that may be made to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
I too faced the same dilemma some time back, but as per my limited research:

1) Amaze is the compact sedan based on the smaller Brio platform, wheelbase = 2470mm
2) City is the sedan based on the larger Jazz platform, wheelbase = 2530mm

The deletion of Magic Seats (its true USP) and ISOFIX child seat mounts from the Jazz has tipped the scales in favour of the Amaze, which has ISOFIX rear seats.
Thanks for your inputs. The magic seat feature, gets a lot of attention in this forum. But IMHO, unless one is in the retail business or something like that wherein a lot of cargo is carried regularly, I find it to be of limited utility and remains a fancy spec on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
As someone who has owned the 1st gen Amaze from 2013 onwards I’ll say if interior quality is important to you, don’t even look at Amaze, 2nd gen is slightly better than the original but not by much, Jazz is better than 2nd gen but still feels mediocre at best.
The current Amaze 2nd Gen cabin did look strictly acceptable at its price point and the Jazz at its price point. But again there is a difference in price and the factor of a LED headlamp in favour of the Amaze. So in my view both do have the interior as per the price band. As I stated before, since the engine and the transmission are identical, there seems to be a much narrow margin to indulge in any cost cutting exercise here.

Quote:
Look at VW for the best plastic and paint quality in the budget.
I drive a 2014 Polo, so I do get your point here. But the latest offerings (read MQB A0 IN) have felt a bit of a let down when I compare it to my car. Its in the league of the Jazz now. Anyway, there are no Germans that fit into my budget now, I guess !

Quote:
Another very important point, Amaze and Jazz (and Brio) all use the Honda L44B 1.2L engine that is woefully underpowered, to the point of needing to be floored just get a move on in the city, highways it’s even worse, as below 5000 rpm it’s dead. Make sure your dad is fine with the low power output and consequent heavy throttle input needed constantly every time one wants to accelerate. Test drive extensively before putting your money down. Cheers.
I was taking to a mutual friend who works in this industry. He rightly pointed out that that L44B 1.2L seems to be the only engine that can be installed since anything beyond that will rob it of its sub 4meter concessions. But during TD, I didn't find it that bad!!
maheshmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 22:01   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Cannot understand why the Jazz is more expensive than the Amaze. Your inputs will be well appreciated to help me select one![/b]
Other than the fact the Jazz being a global product (therefore better materials), and also has better interior room, there are some features available in Jazz over the Amaze-

Cruise control in CVT
Sun roof ( You might despise it, majority are fans of the feature).

The Jazz also competes with vehicles that are priced higher than compact sedans i.e. the premium hatchbacks, and hence the difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks