Team-BHP - Honda Amaze vs Jazz dilemma | What makes the Jazz more expensive?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Honda Amaze vs Jazz dilemma | What makes the Jazz more expensive? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/250405-honda-amaze-vs-jazz-dilemma-what-makes-jazz-more-expensive-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by maheshmenon (Post 5295698)
I was taking to a mutual friend who works in this industry. He rightly pointed out that that L44B 1.2L seems to be the only engine that can be installed since anything beyond that will rob it of its sub 4meter concessions. But during TD, I didn't find it that bad!!

Not true, the Honda Fit (called Jazz in Asain markets) is sold with the 1.5L. Brio too can easily accept the 1.5L of the City. In fact there’s one on team bhp itself where a member did an engine swap and now calls it the Crio lol:

Another point, you’ll be keeping this car for a few years, consider the Polo just for the fact it gets ESP which in my opinion should be non negotiable in a new car purchase taking place in 2022. Just like ABS, it’s hardly used day to day until the chips are down one day and that day it makes a life and death difference. Over budget by ~1.5L won’t be felt 7-8 years down the line but you’ll drive a superior, safer car for many years. Cheers.

Jazz is a better personal car choice despite the continuance and discontinuance in India most likely due to model changes by the car maker.

Amaze is a favourite of the taxi aggregators, while I am yet to see a Jazz as taxi with such aggregators.

I bought my dad a Honda Jazz AT last year and he is extremely happy with it. It drives and manouveres like a breeze and looks much much better than the weird make-do sedan shape of the Amaze. It feels more of a complete hatch than the incomplete sedan such as the amaze.
Your dad will love it same as mine.
Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by maheshmenon (Post 5295698)
I was taking to a mutual friend who works in this industry. He rightly pointed out that that L44B 1.2L seems to be the only engine that can be installed since anything beyond that will rob it of its sub 4meter concessions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ56 (Post 5295711)
Not true, the Honda Fit (called Jazz in Asain markets) is sold with the 1.5L.

Yes it does get the 1.5L in other countries. If you read my post it was regarding the tax laws prevalent in India that prevent Honda from offering the 1.5.
Just to be clear, the law states: "a car smaller than four meters in length, powered by an engine smaller than 1500cc (in case of diesel) or 1200cc (in case of petrol) is entitled for more than 50% tax benefit, in comparison to a ‘full size’ vehicle."

So offering a 1.5 not only increases the input cost for Honda (for the higher spec engine) but also increases the tax value (on the new price) by 50%. So its not a worthy endeavor for Honda who are already struggling with poor sales of the Jazz.

Quote:

Brio too can easily accept the 1.5L of the City. In fact there’s one on team bhp itself where a member did an engine swap and now calls it the Crio lol:

I wonder how did the process of changing the engine cc details in the RC, go for the member. If the RTO officer would have been hawk eyed, he would have asked for the excess tax benefit that was availed earlier to be paid. But again , the way our RTO works is kind of lethargic.

Quote:

Another point, you’ll be keeping this car for a few years, consider the Polo just for the fact it gets ESP which in my opinion should be non negotiable in a new car purchase taking place in 2022. Just like ABS, it’s hardly used day to day until the chips are down one day and that day it makes a life and death difference. Over budget by ~1.5L won’t be felt 7-8 years down the line but you’ll drive a superior, safer car for many years. Cheers.

The rear space in the Polo is just too mediocre. I drive a Polo, it feels a bit puny for the investment, the only thing that used to make it stand apart was the DQ 200. Also since the Polo is on its way out, it was quickly dismissed.
Since the car will majorly see only city streets by a senior citizen, ESP was preferred but not a must as such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SN88 (Post 5295772)
I bought my dad a Honda Jazz AT last year and he is extremely happy with it. It drives and manouveres like a breeze and looks much much better than the weird make-do sedan shape of the Amaze. It feels more of a complete hatch than the incomplete sedan such as the amaze.
Your dad will love it same as mine.
Cheers

Thanks, we too have almost zoomed in on the Jazz VX. The only after-market fitment that I could convince my dad was the tyre upgrade to Michelin P4's.

Interesting thread and it seems some one is putting out our thoughts and confusions precisely :)

My MIL wanted to change her 2009 i20 Asta due to age and nicks and nags and had her mind fixed on TATA. While, she didn’t like their line up, we went ahead testing few sub4 meter hatch backs and finally it boiled down to Amaze Vs Jazz and as you rightly said they are so similar, it confuses you especially when you see a price gap
Following was our approach
1) Both of us drove Jazz as well as Amaze and though identical specs, we found Jazz peppier and less jerky. We tried with 2 TD cars and both times we came back liking Jazz more
2) Jazz had fantastic windshield which made the car roomier
3) Rear seat was the best - though only groceries would be seated there :D
4) Amaze had better boot space but we didn’t need that as FIL already has a Vento
5) some soft touch plastic in dashboard made it feel better and looked more premium- nothing significant but helps you incline a little bit
6) Jazz gets you negotiation power - we were able to get a discount of 60k (in different headings) and price was tad lower than Amaze

To sum it up - Buy what your dad likes as its really not too much of a difference apart from box style

You should compare Jazz with Brio actually, in order to get the perspective.

Brio: a nice, compact but made for low budget, developing nations. It's dimensions, quality of interiors, build quality, styling, etc etc are in accordance to that of a budget market. Ex showroom in India: Rs 5 lacs approx.
Add a boot to Brio, it becomes Amaze. Cost of adding boot = Rs 60k-100k.

Jazz: a premium global product from Honda made for the developed nations. The very best of Honda hatchbacks and a premium product through and through. The build, space, quality, R&D, etc that went into this car was for Americans, Europeans, etc. This same car, albeit with maybe a few less features, is available in India. Ex Showroom: Rs 7 lacs approx.
Add a boot to Jazz, it becomes Honda City. Cost of adding boot = 100k approx.

There you go! These 2 different products for 2 different markets. We, in India, just happen to have the option to buy it.

Any inputs on what will be the city fuel economy of Jazz CVT?

I drive a 2016 Jazz Idtec and we had a 2014 Amaze Idtec too. Just felt the interior quality and exterior design is much more premium in the Jazz than the Amaze as others echoed.

It just comes to your personal preference. I should say both of these can last for long and doesn't cause any issues after all.

I've done 1,27,000 Km on my Jazz and still it has got the juice as its used to be when new. I drive 40-50 km / Day on average.

Apart from periodical maintenance, I've changed tyres, brake pads and rotors twice and a battery once. That's it. The clutch has got a bit harder, if I shell out 25k, it'll just become super smooth and drives just like new. No rattles, no warning signs whatsoever. Just the Honda diesels have poor NVH.

The newer Jazz and Amaze should have a sluggish petrol engine. If you are fine with that, I think you've zeroed in a wonderful choice.

Choose Amaze, if you can tolerate its looks. Else, choose Jazz for its looks. Jazz felt spirited and handled better than the Amaze. (That's the case with the diesel). Now, the performance and ride quality difference should be very marginal. So, buyers choose Amaze for its price advantage and Jazz buyers in 2022 choose it for its looks mostly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltronics (Post 5296206)
To sum it up - Buy what your dad likes as its really not too much of a difference apart from box style

Thanks for the reply. Yes the Jazz does have a better driver position it terms of overall frontal visibility, come to think about it.

The issue is that options in the market are pretty limited when it comes to a budget of less that 11 Lakh. Luckily Honda hasn't followed others in replacing the CVT with an AMT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syednizamudeen (Post 5296932)
Choose Amaze, if you can tolerate its looks. Else, choose Jazz for its looks. Jazz felt spirited and handled better than the Amaze. (That's the case with the diesel). Now, the performance and ride quality difference should be very marginal. So, buyers choose Amaze for its price advantage and Jazz buyers in 2022 choose it for its looks mostly.

Thanks for jotting down your experiences with your car. Looks aren't much of an issue for my dad. But the forum comments do reinforce my choice to go for a Jazz.

Unfortunately, due to a sudden family medical issue which cropped up now, the car purchase has been put off by a few months at least :unhappy. Everything remaining same at the time of purchase, it will be a Jazz VX:Cheering:

Not going to go in a lot of details, a lot has been shared on that. As a die hard Honda fan boy, just wanted to clear the air-
Jazz can be basically be called a hatchback version of the City or City the sedan version of Jazz - see the news; the new city hatch is due to replace the Jazz; why Honda doesn't do it is beyond me :Frustrati
Amaze and Brio are hatchback and sedan siblings of a segment lower and smaller
Jazz and Amaze's current difference might not be evident since some smarty pants at Honda don't see that they have a more reliable car than Altroz and a safer car than i20 and don't update the deserving car in India. :Frustrati
It's surprising how they can't see the market demand
To sum it up, if I am not wrong, Jazz is a C-segment hatchback while Amaze is a B-segment sedan.
I'd personally go for the Jazz purely since it's a segment higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajk15 (Post 5299013)
Not going to go in a lot of details, a lot has been shared on that. As a die hard Honda fan boy, just wanted to clear the air-
Jazz can be basically be called a hatchback version of the City or City the sedan version of Jazz - see the news; the new city hatch is due to replace the Jazz; why Honda doesn't do it is beyond me :Frustrati

It's surprising how they can't see the market demand

Actually I believe that Honda may have done it’s due diligence for a change. The City Hatchback is 4345mm long and comes equipped with a 1.5 L engine. This means that this car would lose its tax benefit and (like a few others pointed out) would be more expensive than the City Sedan. For example in Malaysia, the City sedan starts at RM 74,191 ; whereas the hatch starts at RM 75,670. Now, I haven’t gone into specifics on how they are kitted out .
Purely looking at expected numbers, it may not make sense for Honda to do that. IMHO they would do better if they would launch a sub-4m SUV strictly from a business perspective :) . Till the time they would be looking at milking it’s customers from the sale of the city