View Poll Results: Your choice?
Tata Altroz DCA 122 54.71%
Hyundai i20 DCT 101 45.29%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 11:48   #16
HrB
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

I'm all for the Tata Altroz DCA. For me, safety comes first. The DCA, for me, is the icing on the cake. My highway trips are mostly 2 in a year. The Altroz is a capable city car and that matters the most to me.
HrB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 11:53   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Altroz DCA vs Hyundai i20 DCT | Which dual-clutch AT hatchback would you choose?

Mod Note : Rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2022 at 12:26.
sierrabravo98 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th April 2022, 12:05   #18
BHPian

Voted for i20. Nothing against the Altroz (or the choices of it's users). I have owned a few Tata cars in the past and am a regular follower of Tata. Unfortunate but true, the quality and the possibility of getting a good piece that will stay perfect for years to come is a hit or miss with Tata. It may be a hit or miss with Hyundai as well, but much less so than Tata.

I myself moved from Tata to Hyundai i20 in 2013 and I still have the i20 giving other cars a run for their money even today. And it's modded to a higher output and has given no trouble whatsoever. It moves like a bomb and the HASS guys too have raised eyebrows. Even the air conditioning system is untouched after 9 years and cools as well as the day it rolled out of the showroom.

Last edited by alphahere : 17th April 2022 at 12:09.
Old 17th April 2022, 12:33   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am a total engine guy, hence I am quite surprised myself, but I have voted for the Altroz.

Reasons: I already have bigger & faster cars for the highway, so if I buy either of these, it would be purely a city runabout. The Altroz' engine is weak, yet it has sufficient poke <80 - 90 kmph for commuting. I l-o-v-e the styling. This weekend, I'm with a Lexus and spotted an Altroz on the expressway. I slowed down, moved to the right, then to the left and was admiring its styling from different angles. My passengers thought I've gone mad. It's got a 5-star safety rating and the superior suspension. Behaves like a proper "big car". The i20 has the better engine, equipment and after-sales.

Yet, as a purely city car, it's the Altroz for me. I have to admit that, the fact that an "Indian" company has rolled out such a competent car does play a role in my affinity for the Altroz.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 13:38   #20
BHPian

Hard to recommend an i20 with its so-so suspension and inferior safety. Wouldn't want to take it out on a highway for these very reasons. The engine and interiors make up for the compromises, but then the unjustified premium knocks it right back against an honestly priced Altroz.

On a separate note, as mentioned earlier, a Jazz might be a more relevant benchmark for the Altroz.
srikanth.vemuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 15:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Help your friend experience - Baleno, Swift, i10Nios as well before taking a decision.
Baleno seems to have a waiting period or 6+ months and Maruti Suzuki isn’t being considered.
i10 Nios didn’t impress as she wants this to be her only car and to keep it for a long time the goal is to go for a premium hatchback. The initial plan was to go for VW Polo but things kept on getting delayed and now sadly polo isn’t on sale anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kousie_Arima View Post
If it's their first car i highly recommend the i20 IVT.
Thank you. Did you opt for Sportz or Asta variant? Also if I may ask; what’s the mileage that you are getting in city?
Old 17th April 2022, 15:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Thank you. Did you opt for Sportz or Asta variant? Also if I may ask; what’s the mileage that you are getting in city?
I opted for Asta, the Auto AC and LED headlamps were a must. But sportz is the most VFM and now with addition of cruise control and Auto AC it's a no brainer almost.

Currently I'm driving it exclusively in city, in horrendous Bangalore traffic and getting 9 to 10. It might improve a little in the future. Highways I've gotten 16 - 17.
Kousie_Arima is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 16:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kousie_Arima View Post
I opted for Asta, the Auto AC and LED headlamps were a must. But sportz is the most VFM and now with addition of cruise control and Auto AC it's a no brainer almost.

Currently I'm driving it exclusively in city, in horrendous Bangalore traffic and getting 9 to 10. It might improve a little in the future. Highways I've gotten 16 - 17.
Thank you, this is helpful. The sportz variant despite costing north of 10 lacs still misses out on Hill Start Assist which seems to be available in Asta and Asta(O). We connected with 2 dealership and they informed that Asta isn’t available and we will have to go for Asta(O) which seems to be out of budget for her. I think Hyundai could have provided with Hill Start Assist in sportz IVT.

Altroz XZA seems to be offering more for the money than i20 Sportz variant as of now.
Old 17th April 2022, 17:10   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Baleno seems to have a waiting period or 6+ months and Maruti Suzuki isn’t being considered.
i10 Nios didn’t impress as she wants this to be her only car and to keep it for a long time the goal is to go for a premium hatchback. The initial plan was to go for VW Polo but things kept on getting delayed and now sadly polo isn’t on sale anymore.
i20 has moved the premium hatch so far ahead that it is the only one of its kind.

DCT is worth the premium to future proof the vehicle because roads are getting wider, faster by the year and cars with barely adequate engines can never keep up with it. It's debatable today but sitting behind the wheel being honked at by everyone around is not cool a few years down the line.
Old 17th April 2022, 18:46   #25

Instead of a complicated DCT, Tata should have focussing on developing an AT.

This would have been good for Tata,s "amazing" ASC and for the vehicles reliabilty.
Old 17th April 2022, 19:28   #26
BHPian

My choice = i20
i20 might be a more expensive car here but it has got a superior engine in the form of the turbo 1.0. DCT is reasonably quick and smooth. Equipment levels are better, more active safety features (6 airbags too), better space/comfort in the rear seat and interior feels better put together (fit and finish, overall quality).
New i20 is a big step ahead over its predecessors in terms of ride and handling. Altroz is better here but only just.

Altroz's biggest drawback is its engine. It is barely acceptable in a Tiago but definitely not in a 11 lakh rupees car (DCA here). The new gearbox is yet to be tested in terms of real world reliability and durability.

Altroz's strength is its 5* safety rating, suspension and looks. But I would choose the Jazz CVT in that case (scored really well in the GNCAP) and wont compromise in terms of engine.
Old 17th April 2022, 22:12   #27
BHPian

Hyundai i20 DCT.

I have the 1.0L Turbo Petrol DCT and its a hoot to drive. In its ASTA(O) avatar, the i20 packs enough kit that would make you forgive its high sticker price.

Having had multiple Tata's previously, I prefer Hyundai's service experience to Tata.

Safety (strictly in definition of GNCAP) is one aspect where the Altroz excels.

(Side Note: But I always wondered if the top of the line versions with their better safety kit and more airbags, would fare better than the standard cars that GNCAP chooses to test for the sake of generality, even though the structure is the same.)
Old 17th April 2022, 23:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Now that Polo is not there, my first preference will be i20 N Line DCT in hatchback followed by i20 IVT.
If Tata gets DCA to their turbo engine then my opinion might change.
Old 18th April 2022, 07:55   #29
BHPian

Voted for i20 because of the following reasons:
- Altroz has a weak engine and this would bother you when you want to have those spirited driving moods and occasional family trips and highway runs. My experience says that good handling and chassis do not matter if the Engine itself is weak. I have faced this in my Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI and got it remapped after clocking 12k kms.
- With i20 you get a better service experience too and the car is less susceptible to niggles.
- TATA seriously needs to upgrade its Touch Screen.
- For some reason I feel that Altroz's dash is outdated in comparison to its competition.
- With better build quality i20 would age well overtime as compared to Altroz and the equipment list will keep you happy for a long time.
Old 18th April 2022, 13:37   #30

I'd vote for the Altroz for
1. Safety
2. Mature handling
3. styling
4. "designed" in India - for the market signal for design talent to establish in India!

... these trump after-sales + equipment of the i20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks