Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 16:58   #16
BHPian

Re: New or Used car for my sister-in-law | Budget 4-6 lakhs

I have been using a 2021 XZA Tiago AMT, a 2020 City V CVT and a
2021 Polo Highline 1.0 TSI AT for the last 3 to 4 months,
with none of the cars being mine.

The Tiago my SIL's, the City my Uncle's and the Polo being my neighbor's.
Since all 3 have gone abroad on work and the cars at my disposal,
I have been using these cars intermittently.

After driving all three, the difference in feel and response of just the gearbox, is felt very evidently.

AMT:-

I did not like the old Celerio AMT when I first drove one, years before.
The only thing I liked was the rev-matching the gearbox did when forced to.
Otherwise it was jerky, not at all shifting to my liking and felt very crude.
Using manual shifts was easier though.

But this new Tiago AMT seems to be much better.
If driven with a light foot and also just easing on the accelerator at shift points give a smooth gear change.
Most people should be able to live with the shift quality it offers.
BUT in very slow stop and go traffic moving in the 1st gear alone is jerky.

Now the CVT:-

No complaints here, except for the engine drone when stamped on the throttle.
On sudden heavy accelerator inputs the engine noise and delayed
response is apparent due to the rubber band effect.
But using paddles on City resolves the issue. Just downshift when needed.

For city use the CVT was the smoothest since no shift as such happens here
unless and until paddles are used.

The torque converter AT of Polo:-

This too was smooth and was the most enjoyable of the all 3 cars.
Also the Torque multiplication effect of the TC really helps in taking off an incline. The car moves up on fairly steep inclines on releasing the brakes itself( partly due to the TSI engine though).
Roll back is least experienced here on the TC equipped automatic.

Now my suggestion would be to go for a TC AT, that too a used one.

And the car being the HONDA BRIO AT

You would get good ones for around 5 to 6 lakhs.

Last edited by Flying Shadow : 20th May 2022 at 17:20.
Flying Shadow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 17:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Convince her to go used route and then get Jazz CVT.
None of the brand new AMT cars can hold a candle to that car.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:29   #18
BHPian

I may be a little biased given my history with Maruti Suzuki but like GTO and the others my top pick would be a WagonR or Ignis AMT.

You can get a last 2nd gen (2010-2019) WagonR 1.0 in good condition for around 4-4.5 Lakh while 5.5-6 lakh can get you a nice Ignis. You could also thing about extending the budget to 6.5 Lakh and getting a 3rd Gen (2019 - Present) WagonR 1.0 or 1.2 AMT. The 1.2 is hidden gem IMO, a Swift engine in a WagonR? Sign me up.

The Ignis or the 1.2 WagonR should be fun cars as the K12 even after all these years is a REALLY fun engine to have in a car and the 1.0 K10B WagonR's are ultra reliable, my uncle has a 2013 WagonR and my aunt used to have a Pre facelift Alto K10 both of them have never faced any issues.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 20th May 2022 at 18:33.
GreasyCarb55 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 00:23   #19
BHPian

IGNIS AGS/ AMT only.

I hate the exterior design. I am ok with the Interiors. AC is ok in Delhi-NCR summers. Sound system is good for normal listeners.

Steering is very light. Feather touch A pedal.

But I have recently driven it upto Pangot- beyond Nainital (alongside my sister iin law, a first timer in hills), and believe me, it was a pleasure to drive this AMT in hills. Steering still feels very light in twisting roads of hills, but okay for the ladies on steering. Frankly speaking I really liked IGNIS AMT

Initially I was struggling to overtake in auto D mode. Then I just tried the manual M mode (I was little hesitant because it was not my car). And it was absolutely okay then.

Suspension was good. Ground clearance was very good on broken roads and no tarmac condition of Pangot and beyond. The IGNIS was fully loaded with 4 adults (2 were of 2XL format) and a 12 years old kid and boot full of luggage. Bootspace was very good (if I compare with my Swift). It has a light in the luggage space, very useful feature for low light or night conditions.

You need to change the headlamps to better quality (Philips extremevision GForce or equivalent).

Last edited by RijuC : 21st May 2022 at 00:41.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 03:24   #20
BHPian

Used jazz CVT or Baleno CVT.
Recently i brought a used Baleno CVT, the car is very easy to drive in traffic or highways. Also cant compare a CVT
with AMT.
spgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Hello BHPians. My Sister-in-law needs an automatic Car for pure intra city use (specifically in Pune only). Her budget is 4-6 lakhs and the car can be new or used, only criteria being a hatchback and should be reliable. A search online shows 2016-17 Hyundai Grand i10s are being sold at around 6-6.5 lakhs. The positive point being that they have torque converter gearboxes. However, a new Renault Kwid AMT is available almost at the same price. Which would be a better buy considering one is a proper Automatic and the other is an AMT? There are MS Celerios available which are cheaper but not considered because of having an AMT only.
All suggestions welcome.
There are so many suggestions being made by all the BHPians and I was thinking that if I was in your position I would be thoroughly confused. This is especially bothersome when we know that most of the people suggesting have not even sat in the cars they are suggesting.

Therefore, I will try to help you by keeping it short and simple. The Grand i10 with the torque converter automatic is one of the smoothest cars around and your sister in law will love it. Its got a very solid built, very silent interiors that are very well insulated from suspension sounds as well. Do not choose a Kwid AMT over Grand i10s proper automatic. There is simply no comparison. Grand i10 is a wayy better car with a beautiful engine, high quality interior and well engineered mechanics. I have owned one for 6 years.

If you are getting one for 6 lacs, go for it. Just get it serviced very thoroughly before use and it will keep you guys happy for a long time.
sjain2054 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:38   #22
BHPian

Hello all. Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions and advice. I will ask her to take test drives of the mentioned cars and shortlist whichever she is the most comfortable with.
Old 22nd May 2022, 02:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
This is especially bothersome when we know that most of the people suggesting have not even sat in the cars they are suggesting.
This is a generalized statement, at least for my case.

I am perhaps the least experienced member here, but I have no time or energy to write something XYZ in this esteemed forum. My opinions and experiences about the IGNIS AGS/ AMT was from my last trip from Delhi to Pangot in my sister-in-law's IGNIS. The drive was shared. She was driving in hills for the first time and I was assisting her with some technical information.

I usually do not trust the pre-owned cars in India (and particularly in Delhi NCR). Invariably the pre-owned cars are headaches for busy non-automotive persons. The spinny, cars24 etc. have listed cars with 10-15 thousand odo reading with 40% remaining life of tyres, registered in metro cities (expected to have good tarmac roads in and around the city resulting relatively less tyre wear). Are not these ridiculous examples of frauds in odo readings and troubles waiting for the next owners?

I have also driven Celerio AMT on rental from Revv. And I didn't at all recommend that Celerio AMT to OP, primarily because of the relatively worst build quality and secondly, that AMT was not good to drive.

Since I find the IGNIS AMT as fairly acceptable in tough terrains and demanding situations, I have suggested the same, along with the details of what I liked, what worked good and what I didn't like.

I didn't drive any of other automatic cars, hence no comments on other cars. I knew Honda Brio AT was good, and Honda CVTs are good. However if I have to buy one for my family member (wife or sister) I would always buy a fresh new car unless I see the pre-owned car everyday. I do not trust these unknown pre-owned cars. By the way, I always remain present next to my car when it gets serviced at Maruti Suzuki service centre. I don't trust anyone for the machine which I shall be driving at 120 kmph in expressways or in high altitude mountain passes.

Last edited by RijuC : 22nd May 2022 at 02:28.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 08:57   #24
BHPian

I’m in a similar situation and looking for a car for my wife for purely intra-city use. If fuel economy and reliability was also top of my priority list rather than the smoothness of the automatic gearshifts, what would you recommend?
Old 14th June 2022, 09:02   #25
BHPian

I bought a used 2012 i10 sports automatic for my wife from Spinny for 2.5 lakhs. It had run 40k kms, had new tyres and battery.
Its so good that I use it more in the city than my Harrier.
Don’t buy a new one, used automatics are far more VfM.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 09:14   #26

I would strongly suggest you to with an CVT gearbox preferably a Honda jazz falling in your price bracket as it has the right balance of genuine automatic transmission and long term reliability. An AMT coupled with a used car would definitely not be a happy ride. TC again has a not so good reputation for its transmission failure.

Considering everything anything with a CVT or a TC would be a safe bet. Just be aware of how the car's transmission fared over the years of any model you choose
adityakommuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 19:08   #27
BHPian

I have been driving a Suzuki Baleno Delta CVT Automatic in crazy Bangalore traffic since 2018 and love the convenience battling bumper-bumper harsh crawling situation

Please find a less run used Baleno CVT best value for money with space like a sedan

Honda Amaze CVT automatic is great choice for a sedan with extra boot space
amarprusty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 18:15   #28
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions. We have finalized a 2011 MS A-Star Vxi Automatic at almost half of the mentioned budget. Found it through an owner posting the Advertisement on OLX.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 19:48   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. We have finalized a 2011 MS A-Star Vxi Automatic at almost half of the mentioned budget. Found it through an owner posting the Advertisement on OLX.
Congrats there.

One suggestion - check the tyres. The stock size is 155. You can upsize this for better ride comfort. Our A-Star is on 175 on celerio rims, and the difference is very noticeable.

We are also planning for an under-body coat to try reduce some of the vibrations/road noise. Door damping will also help.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 13:05   #30
BHPian

Happy faces while taking delivery of the car even if the smileys don't suggest so
My sister-in-law is very happy with the size of the car as it is very easy to maneuver in traffic and the engine and torque converter gearbox is miles ahead of the AMTs in smoothness.
Attached Thumbnails
New or Used car for my sister-in-law | Budget 4-6 lakhs-img_20220628_130013.jpg  

adi.mariner is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed