Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Since you are targeting Jan-Feb to buy the car, the fabia may be an option as well.
I looked for it in the internet. Now, there are quite a bunch of variations in models, that I am confused what the final fabia for India would be like.

Can you share some link that shows the one that will finally make it to indian roads in that 5~6 L price level.
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by variozin View Post
Can you share some link that shows the one that will finally make it to indian roads in that 5~6 L price level.
5~6L? Skoda? Forget it pal. Go for the UVA/Getz/Spark/Palio(if you are brave)/Indica.

And you should really test drive the Swift more.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:24   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am hoping to buy a probably 4~6 L budget car next year Jan-Feb. Currently my inclination is towards Getz 1.3.
You have plenty of time to decide and i suggest you revive the thread a month or two before the decision, till then browse the forum to get details and experiences with almost all the current options that are available.

I think this thread will surely confuse you for now
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:14   #34
Team-BHP Support

I drove a brand new Getz(300kms done) for about 1500kms in less than a few days time.
Ludhiana-Delhi-Roaming in Delhi-Jaipur-Delhi-Chandigarh-Kufri etc., - Ludhiana.
As for the price etc., it is at the higher side as compared to swift, and in 2005 February it was way way overpriced, but I suggest you do a side by side comparison, and a price cut+discounts cut out the over priced part
Now on the good and bad
1. Performance : Adequate in city, easily can do 130 on highway. Push hard 160 is possible, but 130-140 is the max sustainable speed. Low end torque is good, and I did not feel its underpowered. It will not do fast 0-100 sprints, but I doubt how many of us buy cars for drag races. In my opinion low end driveability is a better characteristic to have.
2. Comfort : Great gearshift, and spot on comfortable egronomics, even for slightly shorter drivers. The pedals are light, and you do not feel tired even after long stints. The car does not give stress like an indica (non turbo) does.
3. Build quality : Sure it was a new car, but the solidness is evident. Compared to Santro which feels very tin like, this gives an aura of solid build.
4. Interiors : When I read reviews about tacky interiors in auto mags, it makes me laugh, because every cheap hatchback in India has some tackiness. I would not take that into account. Getz has pretty nice interiors(GVS)
5. Handling : This car was on 155 width tires. So handling is a little off. Wider tires will help. But for normal highway cruising, and driving in hills at normal speeds, you will not feel the difference. If you are the type who likes drifting at flyover exists, you may feel its not too stiff.
6. Ride : Soaks up bumps very well
7. FE : This brand new car gave us 13.5 or something I think. It was before first service, included lots of hill and city driving too. Inside city with sensible driving you can get 10-12, highway 15-16 is easily possible.
The bad things:
Puny tires
Top end grunt less.

The options if you do not want getz:
1. Palio : Solid car, but people are scared of ***. With Tata things have improved. But Tata is no Hyundai. As we own Hyundai and Tata I can tell you that Hyundai is better than Tata any day. However as a car for a performance oriented guy 1.6 gives a lot more power. So test drive one, and choose it if you don't mind TASS
2. Indica : The poor mans option. The turbo costs the same, and has decent lugging power and sips the cheaper fuel. Will give you 20 on highway, with ease. Try hard, pussyfoot the pedal and watch your FE go to 22. 16 in city is possible too, but realistically 14 is more gettable. By next year you may have the Indica DICOR in the equation.
3. Fusion, UVA etc., I do not own these have never driven these. But I like the space in fusion, though in smaller towns Ford A.S.S leaves a lot to be desired. General motors has come out with mouth watering maintenance schemes, and I presume thats to exorcise the ghost of Opel. On the price front I think Fusion costs a little too much. It does not have "that much" space. If they can pull down the price by another 50K, then yes, but otherwise its not Value for money.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd June 2007 at 16:16.
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:09   #35
BHPian

Since you are planning to buy the car next jan...wait for the fiat grande punto which is due for launch next Jan..Look no further...
Old 22nd June 2007, 21:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I drove a brand new Getz(300kms done) for about 1500kms in less than a few days time..
Puny tires
Top end grunt less.
I fully agree with you. I am using a new Getz Prime 1.3 top GLX (ABS+Alloys)
Old 23rd June 2007, 01:15   #37
BHPian

Palio 1.6 is a great VFM, if you love driving...I am sure you will love this car.
Ford Fusion is a car that sure would nt disappoint. If you can stretch look at the fusion and dont miss the adventure sport as well.

Since Fabia bookings have started, a TD on that would nt hurt.
Old 24th June 2007, 02:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I looked for it in the internet. Now, there are quite a bunch of variations in models, that I am confused what the final fabia for India would be like.

I think the fabia comes abroad with a 1.2 petrol and 1.4 diesel option. Price- wise totally gueswork! Don't think there'd be too many people spending 6+ lacs on a 1.2l.
Old 25th June 2007, 05:21   #39
BHPian

tsk1979

This Getz is 1.3 ?
If the tyres are weak, what tyres would you suggest for strength as well as comfort ride?
Old 25th June 2007, 11:10   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
tsk1979

This Getz is 1.3 ?
If the tyres are weak, what tyres would you suggest for strength as well as comfort ride?
Yes, it was one of the first Getz batch sold in India(Feb 2005). The tyres were 155 width, which on such a car is too narrow.
For the 1.3 atleast 175 or 185 width is required. Make sure you use the tyre size calculator to get the proper side profile so that Outer diameter remains the same.
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:07   #41
BHPian

what is side profile ?
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Since you are targeting Jan-Feb to buy the car, the fabia may be an option as well.
Fabia will be a good car. But the cons are
1. Performance
2. FE
3.Maintenence.

I think if the range is around 4-6 lakhs I feel better to go for some car with cheaper maintenence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks