Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 07:03   #16

re: Should I avoid the Renault Kwid Climber AMT?

Suggest to go for TIAGO. Well built car with decent engine combination - good suspension. My brother is having amt variant. he is super happy and serves Bangalore traffic and long drives.

IMO, Manual mode is must in AMT (automatic) cars. We have 3 AMT in our house. Nexon, Tiago and a Nano in my family and we are happy. Only in Nano, the DC motor failed and it set back 6,800 Rs. No other major issue.
tovisu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 07:52   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Having owned the First Iteration of the Renault KWID RXT AMT OPTIONAL FROM 2017, I can tell you that it just gets the job done, that's all. But at the time it was the only car which offered a touchscreen, and the looks were enticing, however considering the current price of above 7 lakhs on road, I would surely spend the extra 2 lakhs (if I had the money) to go for a Tata Tiago XZA Plus AMT.

You may also consider the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Sportz AMT 1.2 Kappa VTVT too but its not as safe as a Tiago (2 Srar NCAP vs 4 Star NCAP). But its engine is a 4 cylinder and You do get a cash discount of Rs.35000 on the Hyundai i10 Nios too

Do take a test drive and finalize

Last edited by yedukrishnan199 : 26th June 2022 at 08:02. Reason: more additions
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 08:52   #18

If you end up going for the Ignis, then suggest you to stretch from Delta AMT to Zeta AMT. The price difference is around 48k and you get a lot of essential and feel good features to enhance the overall ownership of the car.

Some of the features are -
- Fog lamps
- Alloys
- Rear wipers and defogger
- Engine start stop button
- Electrically folding ORVM
- 7 inch touchscreen

Just get an aftermarket camera (Blaupunkt quality is good) installed and you are good to go.

Cheers!
nmn_22 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 08:54   #19
BHPian

I would also suggest to go for Tiago . It have better suspension, headlight through is really good, seating is high comparative to Grand i10 and respectable fuel efficiency. It's also effortless to drive with ultra smooth stareering and light clutch.
Other options to consider if safety is compromised:
1. Grand i10 Nios
2. Swift
3. Celerio
4. Wagon R
AGupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 08:56   #20
BHPian

My advice will be go for Wagon R AMT either 1L or 1.2L . It has below advantages.
Maruti's reliability for 7-8 or even 10 years.
Maruti's excellent after sales service everywhere.
Maruti's excellent resale value.
Big accomodating 342L boot.
Manual mode available.
Highest selling car in India month after month.
Wagon R itself has become a brand name, love it or hate it.
I have driven most of the AMT cars till Dzire, nothing beats smoothness of Hyundai AMTs. In fact, last year we bought Santro sportz AMT for my brother in law and it works beautifully till now, odo reading is 15k km. But the car is discontinued now. Manual mode helps in increasing clutch life, slot the AMT in manual mode, let the RPM climb past 2k RPM, lift right foot from accelerator, push the gear lever to engage next gear and once gear change happens then start accelerating again. No jerk at all. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CarWorld : 26th June 2022 at 09:21. Reason: Adding some more details
CarWorld is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 09:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
Manual mode helps in increasing clutch life, slot the AMT in manual mode, let the RPM climb past 2k RPM, lift right foot from accelerator, push the gear lever to engage next gear and once gear change happens then start accelerating again. No jerk at all. Hope this helps.
Little correction here. Please remember to switch back to Neutral whenever you are waiting either on signal or on incline. Manual mode will help on inclines and reducing jerkiness but switching back to Neutral will help in increasing clutch life.
CarWorld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 09:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Hi All,

I hope everyone is having a nice day. So I have booked a Renault KWID Climber AMT and I am getting the delivery in 2 days. The reason I have chosen this car is as follows:
  1. Price - It's costing me 7.3 Lakh on road in Bangalore
  2. It's my first car and people recommended I go with a smaller car
  3. Availability - I am getting the car in 2 days and AMT is readily available
  4. Automatic - I need an automatic for Bangalore traffic
  5. Decent feature set - Getting features like reverse parking cam, nav etc
  6. Small size - Will be good since it's my first car and good for city driving
  7. I like the overall look of the car

I was thinking of going with a Hyundai Venue earlier but cancelled it due to long waiting times, increased price and this being my first car. Now, people are recommending me agains KWID saying that it's not safe and AMT will have issues with Inclines. Is KWID Climber really that unsafe? I like the car overall, but will avoid it if it's really unsafe. My use case would be 95% city driving.

Thanks in advance everyone!
My father in law got a pre-facelift Kwid RXZ AMT in 2019, it left him stranded on the highway twice due to brake jamming. Got it replaced under warranty. He wanted to sell it off & get a Santro AMT but being a retiree, he had to watch his finances. The car has not given any trouble for the past 2 years but his confidence in it is destroyed & he no longer does long trips without a driver. Plus having driven it, the engine, NVH, AMT is just very average/below average.
As others have suggested, better to go with Tiago, i10 or Wagon R/Ignis/S presso.

Last edited by superbad : 26th June 2022 at 09:59.
superbad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 10:13   #23
BHPian

Could I ask you the price range you can afford? I can try to help you brother
MADisMynAMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 10:15   #24
BHPian

Cancel the Kwid. Pick up the IGNIS AGS/ AMT. Or stretch a little more and buy base Baleno AMT. Though Baleno would be very wide car for the first time car buyer and IGNIS footprint is tight.

Didn't you ever see 1-2 years old Kwid on road? How the engine sounds? It cries for mercy!

Meanwhile IGNIS has good ground clearance. I have driven IGNIS AGS/ AMT in the hills of Nainital and Pangot. Good enough for average city dwellers and going for occasional fun drives. I guess you are not regular on highways/ expressways. Remain cautious and drive safe on highways with Maruti Suzuki cars.
RijuC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 10:49   #25

I own a 2021 Kwid AMT RXT (O) white color for my 70 + father. He absolutely enjoys every bit of it. Even I have driven on highways with 5 on board cruising on 120 kmph. In one year ZERO issues whatsoever. As far as safety is concerned city traffic never allows us to go beyond 50 to 60 kmph. Just go for it.
Ottomatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 11:58   #26
BHPian

Hyundai has discontinued the Santro. You might get a good deal there. Maintenance shouldn't be a problem plus you'll get a much better built car. Also Wagon-R is a decent option.
If you are spending 7L, Kwid is really not worth it.
RGCST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 12:40   #27

Based on the requirements you have listed, I would suggest the Ignis, i10 or Tiago. If you are budget constrained, look at the Santro or Celerio.
colcol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 12:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I Even I have driven on highways with 5 on board cruising on 120 kmph. In one year ZERO issues whatsoever.
We got one for my close family member for various reasons, and I get to drive it some times for city errands. Still new, okay so far, but I sense it is going to give issues. AC blower fan is already making loud noises, though the fan setting has never been higher.

Doing 120 on even well built vehicles on our roads has considerable risk. No way on a Kwid with that AMT gear box. I wouldn’t recommend above 80 on this car, it is not confidence inspiring.
stringbh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:37   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

In the same budget of 7 lakhs, you can find a fairly new, 2nd hand, low km run Honda Jazz AT. It is a safe car with a refined, reliable engine. It is also a lot more spacious and comes with a better AT gearbox.

If you want only a new car & budget is a big constraint, go ahead with the kwid AMT. It is not a bad car at all. I own a 1.0 MT Kwid, which is now 5.5 years old with 55,000 km on odo. No issues whatsoever.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th June 2022 at 13:45.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:53   #30
BHPian

Yes, avoid Kwid AMT. You can opt for manual version if you really like its feature sets and looks though. The engine and AMT combo just doesn't click. I own Wagon R 1.2 AMT and was very satisfied with its drive mode until I drove to Mukteshwar in Uttarakhand. Manual mode is must have in AMTs to navigate tricky driving situations. This is a big enough reason to skip the AMT version. Moreover lot of people have reported issues with its AMT. If you prefer peace of mind and good drive experience then AMTs fron Maruti and Hyundai are good picks. Avoid AMTs from other manufacturers.
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks