Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 09:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Automatic hatchback for a 3 women + 1 dog family

Between the two, I'd pick the Jazz for the CVT + reliability aspects over the Altroz, although the Jazz is quite old having launched in 2015.

How we wish the Brio was still around! Used to be a hit with the ladies. Easy to potter around in the city with its small form factor.

Automatic hatchback for a 3 women + 1 dog family-2020_honda_brio_satya_e_1.2_dd1_20211006.jpg
Source: Wiki
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest i20 IVT. The CVT gearbox is smooth and car has more space than Jazz. Good features and a relatively new product too. It’s a perfect city car. I guess the Sportz variant will fit the budget.

Between the original choice my suggestion would be Jazz. It’s very early to put money on a DCT gearbox from Tata.

Last edited by sunikkat : 28th June 2022 at 11:38.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:39   #18
BHPian

I would recommend Jazz. Eventhough it's been very late in its generation. It carries all essential features for women drivers in general. For a non-car guy, Honda makes all the sense in terms of reliability, ease of drive, and fill-shut-drive vehicle.

Something to think about is also a CSUV. This gives them the confidence to drive over all bad roads. From that perspective, Punch/sonet makes sense.
shashi792 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:47   #19
BHPian

New gen Baleno will be my pick. Reliability, ease of ownership, frugal and decent creature comforts puts the Baleno at the top of my list.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 15:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda over Tata, especially for the family setup you mentioned. I would have said Brio but the dog demands a bigger hatchback.

Jazz might be an old product but it's a tried and tested reliable option in the market. Others have given clear views of other benefits so won't repeat.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 21:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Jazz CVT any day and everyday for the use case mentioned. It got a decent 4 star GNCAP crash test rating as well.

No doubt the Altroz, is the more newer, stylish and safe car out of the two, but the DCT in the Altroz is currently imported, localisation is yet to start.

As soon as localisation of this DCT is done, it will be my pick, but till then the tried-and-tested Jazz + CVT is hard to beat.

Another car I can think is of the, Baleno/Glanza AMT. But the AMT will be nowhere as smooth as the CVT / DCT.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th June 2022 at 21:33.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 10:04   #22
BHPian

CVT is better than AMT or DCA ( as Tata calls it's Dual Clutch Transmission) on anyday. AMT is ok for initial period but may give trouble in long run. DCA is yet to be proved for reliability( as it is new addition in Tata drive trains) but considering the stories about DCT /DSG ( also technically it is big brother of AMT) DCA is yet to prove itself. Out of CVT cars , Jazz should be ok for lady drivers ( even though it is older design ) otherwise check i20 iVT( CVT in Hyundai's jargon) if budget is ok. If the car will be used only in city roads then AMT also should be ok in Hyundai Nios avatar.
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:09   #23
BHPian

Their requirement screams Jazz CVT. Easy to drive. Low on maintenance. Supremely reliable and best in class space. Interiors might feel a bit dated, but that wouldn't concern the target drivers here.
Altroz though high on security, you wouldn't want the ladies to get stranded when the DCA gives up. It is still not proven and Indian market has had a bad experience with Dual Clutch gearboxes.

Baleno and i20 though both great, their safety is unknown and given the history of Maruti and Hyundai in crash tests, I wouldn't want to invest 10L on an unsafe car.
TheWall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Between the two, I'd pick the Jazz for the CVT + reliability aspects over the Altroz, although the Jazz is quite old having launched in 2015.

How we wish the Brio was still around! Used to be a hit with the ladies. Easy to potter around in the city with its small form factor.

Attachment 2326257
Source: Wiki
We have a Brio in the family and you are correct on the small form factor, the tradeoff being the abject lack of space inside. The glass on the rear hatch also sits a little too close to the rear passengers' head for comfort.

We have a lab too and can't imagine hyperactive him in its confines.

Last edited by batterylow : 29th June 2022 at 11:29. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:50   #25
BHPian

I could see majority recommending Jazz CVT because it's been around the market for a long time. Though if we look past the fact that it's dated, then it should not be an issue.

However I would suggest to check the Amaze CVT or Kiger/ Magnite CVT, which should also be easy to drive.

I would not advise the i20 iVT variant because of the build and the 1.2 NA not so efficient.

If budget is not a constraint , then you could check the new brezza as well which is expected to be unveiled tomorrow and make an informed decision.
Gautham_v6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 12:20   #26
BHPian

For the profile of the folks looking to purchase, the Jazz is the obvious choice.

It’s a proven reliable product and for all intents and purposes you can’t go wrong with a Honda.
But I’ll throw this in the air as well, since they are an existing Toyota family, they may even consider the Glanza, one variant below top. Would have everything they need and some extras too. And the best part would be no surprises at the service centre.

Would steer clear of both Tata and Hyundai, heck since the dog has to travel as well, and they don’t come across like enthusiasts, can even consider the Triber where the dog can have his private row, but yes the AMT isn’t the best and Renault service might be a hit or a miss.

Cheers
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:21   #27
BHPian

I have owned Honda VX CVT since 2019. It’s my wifey’s daily drive. It was the only car, after test driving many, she felt at home with. Except that its dated, the car ticks everything else very well. A lady will love to drive a Honda over Tata any day. Tata ASS experience is nothing to write about. Only Honda offers 10 yrs of warranty.
Altros on the other hand is safer and fresher vehicle
Best is let them take a test drive and choose for themselves.
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:33   #28
BANNED

I have driven the Altroz and really love the design. It really is one of Tata's best product in spite of that asthmatic engine. I would have suggested the Altroz with my eyes closed, had the use case been anything else. I would never suggest the Altroz here because of only one reason; TASS. Especially, since they are looking for a trouble free ownership experience. I can imagine what a nightmare it would be for the ladies to deal with TASS.
Although the issues reported for the Altroz is not as high as the Safari/Harrier, I would still not recommend Tata.

Yes, the Jazz is dated, and may be discontinued any time, but it ticks all the requirements for this use case. I feel Jazz is the correct choice here. Maybe would also suggest the Baleno Zeta AGS, despite all the shortcomings, solely for the fuss free ownership experience, and it being relatively more modern than Jazz.
vasist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:35   #29
BHPian

I would totally suggest Jazz over Altroz. Light interiors with better space management and better seating than Altroz paired with butter smooth CVT gearbox. And for city runs, CVT in jazz with good handling capabilities does make it a choice for me even though it's almost 10 years old. Plus Sundaram Honda is in the middle of the city, near Meenakshi Temple and the ASS is very user friendly and competent.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:55   #30
BHPian

Strongly recommend the Jazz CVT. Been using one since 2017. So silent, spacious and smooth. Effortless to drive.
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed