Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 13:25   #1
BHPian

First car for a newly married couple

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a car for my sister who recently got married. She's been driving for quite a while, we've had an alto and currently have a celerio at home. Brother in law is learning to drive.

Requirements:

Petrol, Manual gearbox. Airbags would be a nice to have.
Primary usage would be shopping runs in the city and the occasional drive towards some touristy places.
Highway running is minimal (once in 6 months or so)
Must be low on maintenance (trouble free ownership)
Plan to hold onto it for at least 5 years
Budget - 4L, don't want to spend more now since BIL is in the army and they plan to get a car through CSD later

Cars considered till now:

1. 2015 Honda Brio S MT, 32k kms (Cars 24). Low run car and is in decent shape. I found the asking price (3.5L) to be a bit high for a 2015 model.
2. Etios Liva (Cars 24( - Haven't driven this one yet. Car is in Mumbai
3. 2009, Santro Xing, GLS, 66k kms - Is a known car hence under consideration. Haven't driven it yet
4. 2012 Corolla Altis G, 32k kms (Spinny) - This one suddenly came into the consideration set. I drove it yesterday and the car is in top shape. Asking price 5L

My Opinion

I quite liked the Brio and I feel it fits the bill nicely for my sister. It also falls within their budget.
They are more attracted towards the corolla due to its safely features, I know it has airbags, I'm guessing the G variant has ABS too.

While the corolla is in top nick and it quite a deal at 5L, I feel it is a bit too much of a car to be their first car.
Its designed and manufactured to transport 5 people, comfortably over really long distances; not to go grocery shopping or for the occasional weekend getaway.
Moreover its too powerful for a new driver.

The argument in favor of the corolla is about its safely quotient to which I countered by asking them to consider a Polo which would cost them pretty much the same and would have pretty similar safety features.

What would you guys advise? Does it make sense to get the corolla or should they go for a small hatch?
jomson13 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 13:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: First car for a newly married couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a car for my sister who recently got married. She's been driving for quite a while, we've had an alto and currently have a celerio at home. Brother in law is learning to drive.
I'd suggest looking at the Etios (preferably) or the Liva to be honest.

The Brio is a touch too small and if they are planning a family : the Brio could fall short on space a lot quicker than the others.
The Santro is just too old! Any old car will require maintenance : even if well maintained, there will be wear and tear. It may not burn a hole in the pocket but it is an inconvenience.

The Liva is nice : good visibility, you can look for a higher end model with ABS & Airbags, it has a stable structure, etc. The Etios takes this a step further with boot space & a better 1.5L engine for those highway runs. It's popularity in the taxi market makes maintaining it that much easier and the car is abuse friendly.

The Corolla too is a good option, but as someone new to cars and car ownership : it is a little too old for my liking and it is very easy to be taken for a ride in terms of maintenance cost. Plus you wouldn't get zero dep insurance : so any accidents would be costly to fix as parts pricing will still be on par with that of a new corolla.

About performance, etc.: I wouldn't be too worried - it is important to first find a car with good visibility, good ergonomics, and linear acceleration & braking. In a month or so, they will get used to the power and size.
At the end of the day, the Corolla is a family car - not a performance car where the rationale to suggest something slower / practical is different : I wouldn't suggest a stiff suspension, low profile tyre performance vehicle to a beginner as it would just be more stuff to worry about for them - like avoiding bumps, crawling over speed breakers at an angle, etc. but none of this is applicable to the Corolla or even the Etios 1.5.
In fact, I am not suggesting popular cars like the Honda City 3rd Gen, Civic, etc. because of the ground clearance and visibility : for newer drivers it becomes more things to watch out for and be mindful about - and that distracts from the basics of driving safely.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th June 2022 at 14:21. Reason: Quote content trimmed
lamborghini is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

consider a Polo which would cost them pretty much the same and would have pretty similar safety features.

What would you guys advise? Does it make sense to get the corolla or should they go for a small hatch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

The Liva is nice : good visibility, you can look for a higher end model with ABS & Airbags, it has a stable structure, etc. The Etios takes this a step further with boot space & a better 1.5L engine for those highway runs. It's popularity in the taxi market makes maintaining it that much easier and the car is abuse friendly.

for newer drivers it becomes more things to watch out for and be mindful about - and that distracts from the basics of driving safely.
I was in the same conundrum ten years earlier and from my experiences, I would suggest going for a hatchback for the ease of driving in tight spots and parking. Since the plan is to hold on for at least 5 years I would prefer recent pieces backed by robust after-market service. Agree with lamborghini on the Liva though you have not mentioned the manufacturing year or km run.

Polo is also very decent to consider if you get that option.

For highway runs/speed I would suggest getting a model with decent and latest safety features when your BIL gets it from CSD. It would give more value per rupee on the safety front.
AG-D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I will rule out the xing. Most cars today are much better. Brio great for city, but outstation trips ? Luggage space on the lower side.

Do check other options beyond these. Corolla can be long termer. Ask both not to be over-awed by the size of this compared the Brio/Xing. Doesnt take long to get used to.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reason for not getting an automatic? As we transition more to EVs and the like, automatics are going to be the future.
While it's important to know how to drive a manual in case of a emergency, the convenience of an automatic to go around in the city cannot be ignored.

There are some other options too you could consider such as the reliable Honda Jazz, Ignis seems to be a city favorite.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

If the Corolla is in a good shape, please pick that instead of the Brio. It lasts longer, ages well and is rock solid on reliability. The size really doesn't matter, its just a question of a couple of drives and one will get used to the size very very quickly. This can also do the city runs and can later on be the beater car, once your BIL picks a new one from the CSD.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 17:44   #7
BHPian

Why not an Alto 800 new? Bigger cars are not going make it easier within city limits.
If an old Santro is in consideration, I believe new 800 could be there as well. Being new, maintenance will be next to nothing. Its very reliable, easy to deal within a city and costs very less to maintain until BIL gets his CSD car.
dileepcm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 18:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go for Corolla if condition is very good. Honda Jazz is another good option. You should be able to get one if you increase budget a little.

Jazz advantages:
Spacious
Boot capacity
Reliable
Don't need to think of upgrading next few years
Occasional in-laws visit or long journey is not a problem

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2022 at 18:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:

The Corolla too is a good option, but as someone new to cars and car ownership : it is a little too old for my liking and it is very easy to be taken for a ride in terms of maintenance cost. Plus you wouldn't get zero dep insurance : so any accidents would be costly to fix as parts pricing will still be on par with that of a new corolla.
I'm a bit apprehensive about the Liva in consideration. Its a 2015 model with just 3500 kms on the clock. Moreover its a bombay car.
In my opinion, Low running + humidity = quite detrimental on the car hence i'm staying away from this particular car.

Quote:
Any reason for not getting an automatic? As we transition more to EVs and the like, automatics are going to be the future.
While it's important to know how to drive a manual in case of a emergency, the convenience of an automatic to go around in the city cannot be ignored.
Since BIL is learning to drive they are going in for a manual. I completely agree with you on the convenience of the auto gearbox, I have a faux automatic (AMT celerio) and its a boon in the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If the Corolla is in a good shape, please pick that instead of the Brio. It lasts longer, ages well and is rock solid on reliability. The size really doesn't matter, its just a question of a couple of drives and one will get used to the size very very quickly. This can also do the city runs and can later on be the beater car, once your BIL picks a new one from the CSD.
Found out an interesting fact about the corolla today. We got the service history checked at the toyota service center. The car has run well for the first 4 years, it did 26k kms in those initial 4 years and all services were done at the ASC. Since then the car has not visited the ASC.
Odo stands at 32k today which means it has done 6k kms in 6 years.
Spinny have changed the tyres and the battery which makes a lot of sense now.
Is the low running over the last 6 years a major concern?
I will the taking the car to the ASC and getting their opinion on it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
Why not an Alto 800 new? Bigger cars are not going make it easier within city limits.
If an old Santro is in consideration, I believe new 800 could be there as well. Being new, maintenance will be next to nothing. Its very reliable, easy to deal within a city and costs very less to maintain until BIL gets his CSD car.
I like the alto, unfortunately my sister and BIL have a block against suzuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Go for Corolla if condition is very good. Honda Jazz is another good option. You should be able to get one if you increase budget a little.
Thanks, Will be on the lookout for the Jazz. I had rented one for a pune - ahmedabad drive. I have fond memories of the drive.
jomson13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 21:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Since then the car has not visited the ASC.
Spinny have changed the tyres and the battery which makes a lot of sense now.
Is the low running over the last 6 years a major concern?.
Yes, this is fishy. 1000 km per year ? Doesnot sound right. When you go to Toyota, ask them if they can find the actual running.

If you can get that info, and if you are ok with that - use it and the lack of service history as a bargaining point.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 23:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

I would go with the Brio. Since your sister is already comfortable with small cars and your BIL is learning too drive it would be easier on them. It can be fun to drive for the newly married couple as well with its ivtec engine.

Joelinf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 23:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely suspicious but not impossible. Do you know how many owners it's had? It's possible it went through a couple of owners and one or more of them had it sitting around a lot more than the previous owner? Get the car checked out mechanically and structurally by the ASC.

If all checks out, use that as a bargaining point to reduce the price and go for the Corolla. They are solidly built and can last you well for a really long time. The size isn't that big a factor, if anything it can be a positive due to the space and luxury that size can offer on longer trips.
Old 29th June 2022, 00:28   #13
BHPian

If you’re willing to spend 5L on a 2012 Corolla, spend that 5 on an Accord instead, you’ll get a nicer vehicle with a higher quality interior that’s built solid unlike the tin can brio (I have an amaze which is essentially the same car) so can speak first hand comparing both, there’s simply no comparison in build and safety (and power + space).

Accord is also much more stable at highway speeds and isn’t affected by crosswinds like the amaze is, I learnt to drive on it and it’s fairly easy even for beginners, it only takes a few mins to get used to when switching from a smaller vehicle. Corolla feels fairly underpowered in comparison.

Last edited by AJ56 : 29th June 2022 at 00:32.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:48   #14
BHPian

Test drove the corolla again today. This time it was a longer drive with some part on the highway too.
No faults whatsoever with how it drives.
Clutch and brake need work which the Spinny guys said they would take care of.

Now to the distressing findings:
My earlier test drive was on a dark and damp rainy day. When I opened up the bonnet that day I remember a funny smell of some kind. Couldn’t figure out what it was on that day - got some answers today.

It seems a rodent made the underside of the bonnet it’s temporary home somewhere during the previous years.
I could see scratch marks on the plastic panels between the bonnet and wipers.
I could also see some droppings in the area under the wipers.

I’m walking away from this one.

First car for a newly married couple-5ce7bcc2f93c450f96d8e5fac11aac46.jpeg

First car for a newly married couple-06ce26309916492b8325204621535765.jpeg

First car for a newly married couple-8c7d2f3a9fa746b19763ee7649898421.jpeg
Old 29th June 2022, 14:05   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It seems a rodent made the underside of the bonnet it’s temporary home somewhere during the previous years.
No, dont rule out the car on this point. Rodents are pretty common, any where, everywhere. Get one good cleaning of the engine bay, and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
spend that 5 on an Accord instead, .
An Accord for a couple who have just started driving ? No, pls. I have had a 2000 Accord V6, and know it well. I wont dispute your point on this being a good car. But it's too big for some one starting to drive.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks