Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi. First post. Wagon R to Swift?

Hi, Guys,

I'am srinivas. Heard about this portal from a friend of mine. It's amazing....Presently I own an Wagin R LXi and driving from past 4 1/2 years. Planning to go for a bigger model. Test drove Swift VDi y'day. But I feel the interiors and the comfort wise it is similar to Wagon R itself. Tried to creat a new post for the advice of TBHP but could not as I feel I have to post at least 50 posts. But can anybody advice me whether to go for mid size car or go with the hatch back itself. The current waiting period in Bangalore is about 6~7 months (for VDi) and during this period there are lot of other hatch backs that are lined up for release. Sincerely need TBHP's advice......
Old 21st June 2007, 22:28   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

The swift diesel is indeed a really nice car to go for. You have all the R&D being done on members ride here.

Btw welcome to the forum. And do come to the meet we regularly have.
Old 21st June 2007, 22:42   #3
BHPian

hey! srinivas its nice to meet another bhpian from bangalore.tell us something more about your self & coming to the car part of it the swift vdi is a good choice but hang on there may be better cars coming in the near future.
Old 21st June 2007, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey man welcome to the forum,..do make it to the meets.

Hey tarul,..which better cars are you talking about?
Old 21st June 2007, 22:52   #5
BHPian

hey binoy if you know i am still a newbie for the past 2 years.Just tyring to type some posts to get to the level of a bhpian
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Srinivas. Welcome to Team BHP, enjoy your conversations with people for whom the common means of transport is more than most other things in life.

What are your needs in a car? What do you expect of a bigger model with respect to your needs? What is the budget that you have set for yourself?

If you consider what is available and what is coming, there is a mind-boggling array of choices, but there is none that satisfies everyone. And that's because needs are individual - and a purchase decision is always at best a compromise of what you want v/s what you get for the money that you *think* you can spend. Power v/s economy, size v/s driveability, style v/s safety, comfort v/s cost - there is no end to the decision elements. And to top it all, advice does not make it easier!

The advantages of Swift TDi are apparent economy and appeal (cute, different), neither of which are really true. Same for any diesel small car.

You pay 60K more against the apparent savings of diesel: at the current fuel rates that is 25% savings per litre. But, do you realize you would have already paid 15000litres worth of difference up-front, so you will get the benefits of the fuel cost difference only after driving 100,000Km (that's what you have already paid up-front), as compared to the petrol version.

Appeal? Irrational, but can you overrule the family? Sure, Indica has more internal space but looks like a toad, definitely not "stylish" - and even more horrific: "most taxis are Indica". All advertising is about appeal, not logic.

So just make a list (rational, logical criteria - like we are taught) of what you need, and then embark on the adventurous journey of selecting a car. Quite likely you will get frustrated with the list and tear it up, only because the lady says "Suno ji, that one is really cute, let's buy that" or "Not that one, our neighbour has that"
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The current waiting period in Bangalore is about 6~7 months (for VDi) and during this period there are lot of other hatch backs that are lined up for release. Sincerely need TBHP's advice......
Between Wagon R and Swift VDi, its a no brainer, Its Vdi that wins. However with the 6 month waiting period I would consider something else. The best way I feel is to book the car and in case you find something eventually, cancell and get a refund of the whole amount. When Swift was launched, there was a waiting of 6 months but the hype died down fast and cars were delivered fast.
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hi Srinivas. Welcome to Team BHP, enjoy your conversations with people for whom the common means of transport is more than most other things in life.

What are your needs in a car? What do you expect of a bigger model with respect to your needs? What is the budget that you have set for yourself?

If you consider what is available and what is coming, there is a mind-boggling array of choices, but there is none that satisfies everyone. And that's because needs are individual - and a purchase decision is always at best a compromise of what you want v/s what you get for the money that you *think* you can spend. Power v/s economy, size v/s driveability, style v/s safety, comfort v/s cost - there is no end to the decision elements. And to top it all, advice does not make it easier!

The advantages of Swift TDi are apparent economy and appeal (cute, different), neither of which are really true. Same for any diesel small car.

You pay 60K more against the apparent savings of diesel: at the current fuel rates that is 25% savings per litre. But, do you realize you would have already paid 15000litres worth of difference up-front, so you will get the benefits of the fuel cost difference only after driving 100,000Km (that's what you have already paid up-front), as compared to the petrol version.

Appeal? Irrational, but can you overrule the family? Sure, Indica has more internal space but looks like a toad, definitely not "stylish" - and even more horrific: "most taxis are Indica". All advertising is about appeal, not logic.

So just make a list (rational, logical criteria - like we are taught) of what you need, and then embark on the adventurous journey of selecting a car. Quite likely you will get frustrated with the list and tear it up, only because the lady says "Suno ji, that one is really cute, let's buy that" or "Not that one, our neighbour has that"
Suno Ji, Well said, Der Alte
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:26   #9
BHPian

@Deralte: very well said. I agree with you. Swift is not family car. If you have a family of more then even 2 adults(forget 5), Swift is not for you. Back seat in swift is only for children. You can go for SWIFT diesel if you want a peppy engine. this could be the only rational behind buying SWIFT diesel.
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Guys,

Thanks for the response. Well, did not expect so many....

Need to upgrade from current hatchback to mid size. My budget is around around Rs.7 Lacs....Looking for a Diesel car (preferably CRDI). I'am looking for an economy car with performance.......looks does matter. And the decision to buy the car is only mine and certainly not "suno ji".....
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:43   #11
BHPian

Since you are looking for a family car and CRDi one, hatchbacks don't make much sense.. The cars that fit the bill are Indigo DICOR and the Logan DCi. You can choose between one of these...

The swift diesel can be ruled out because of the lack of space.... The Indigo and Logan are really spacious and are great value for money.. If you want a petrol car go far SX4 VXi..
Old 23rd June 2007, 15:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Balaji,

I have seen both Logan & Indigo. I have not yet taken the test drives. Hence do not know the performance. Just to compare, I feel Logan is far more better than Indigo (interiors)......But exteriors and looks wise Indigo is much better. Also it comes with 70 bhp and logan with 68.

Will test drive all the 3 Ford Fiesta 1.4 (TDCi)/Indigo (Dicor)/Logan......I feel the service and spares availability wise, Tata might be much better...what say??
Old 23rd June 2007, 21:43   #13
BHPian

Hey srinivas i was in the same position as you i wanted to buy the vdi but the waiting period of 6 months put me off so i changed my mind no car is worth waiting for 6 months unless u are getting it free .I heard the the new hyundai getz is coming out with a crdi engine next month i strongly advice you to go for it instead of a indigo or logan
Old 23rd June 2007, 23:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The wagonr is ugly car!

But inside that box is some good space. If you ever carry more than a briefcase in the boot, the Swift will be a disappointing car for you.
Old 24th June 2007, 08:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Hi, Balaji,

I have seen both Logan & Indigo. I have not yet taken the test drives. Hence do not know the performance. Just to compare, I feel Logan is far more better than Indigo (interiors)......But exteriors and looks wise Indigo is much better. Also it comes with 70 bhp and logan with 68.

Will test drive all the 3 Ford Fiesta 1.4 (TDCi)/Indigo (Dicor)/Logan......I feel the service and spares availability wise, Tata might be much better...what say??
Yes you are right...The indigo looks much better than the Logan. The Fiesta Diesel is way out of the budget you quoted.. Will be somewhere in the range of 8.5L on road Bangalore...If you have that kinda money don't bother about the logan and the indigo. The Fiesta will win hands down, legs up and head swinging.. The only issue will be the lack of space in the rear seat as compared to the other two..But powerwise there is not much difference between the 3..

Balaji

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks