Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2022, 20:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beater AT to replace my 15-year old Honda City in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
That's incorrect. Ritz came with a 4 speed TC.
Oh yes, my mistake. Thanks for correction. But i still stand with same suggestion since Ritz is compact in size and easy to get in and out. Its much better built than Wagon R and decently spacious for 4.

My other weird suggestion would be a ZEST diesel AMT, if he can find one.
AMT effect is very less pronounced in FIAT diesels and hence can be a good and cheap buy, since ZEST is an excellent car which did not get due respect especially the diesel variant.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 22:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Ritz was a CVT and a tall boy design, however finding one maybe a difficult task.My other weird suggestion would be a ZEST diesel AMT,
Thanks, I think I would TD the Ritz TC and Zest AMT at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Like others have suggested, you can't go wrong with Jazz CV..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samegoodkid View Post
@iamitp : As suggested by Durango Dude, pls consider the Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsiva View Post
I have heard that the Honda Jazz has a service interval of 6 months, whereas for the Honda Amaze it is one year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Yes true, the Jazz has a service interval of 6 months.
A bit conflicted about the Jazz. But will keep an eye out for solid deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
Jazz CVT seems to have a great resale value too, all the good/neat options are asking too much. Additionally, you may look for these options as well:-

1) Honda Brio (Limited options available in used market, the one available being sold for premium)

2). Grand i10 (Lesser AT options to look at)
I will check Brio and Grand i10. Dropping the City because I would prefer a small car for the cramped spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Amaze CVT or even 2013-14 City CVT will be the best choice. Brio/Jazz would be good choice if you can get the facelifted one ( but the stock is so less in the market I gather)
I won't suggest older Hyundais as the TC gearbox isn't as good as Honda CVT.
Don't mind Hyundai TCs, because the my commute will be very short and I have the Creta DCT for longer rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
Why don't you also look at Duster CVT.
The size is what's stopping me. Would hard to fit into the hatchback sized parking spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepReading View Post
Jazz, Amaze and i20 can fit the need well.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
We were in similar boat earler this year. Settled for used Micra CVT..
Micra is an interesting suggestion. Will also check it out.
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
A bit conflicted about the Jazz. But will keep an eye out for solid deals.
Having said that the Jazz is a very reliable & comfortable car with a spacious interior even though the features may not be top class and the CVT may bother a few people
rpunwani is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 00:15   #19

Quote:
We were in similar boat earler this year. Settled for used Micra CVT. Its perfect for our crowded cities. Smooth CVT, enough power, good interior space, decent FE, service interval of 10k/1yr, overall a reliable beater car. Do check it out.
I also have shortlisted Micra CVT for a secondary car for my wife. Would you mind sharing the the year and price you bought it for.
Thanks in advance
Sanetrucker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 06:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanetrucker View Post
I also have shortlisted Micra CVT for a secondary car for my wife. Would you mind sharing the the year and price you bought it for.
Thanks in advance
Its 2018 top end, 8k Odo. Got it for 5.7L in BLR.
C300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

"pathetic parking conditions where cars are shoved and pushed around in neutral to make space."

If this above facility (pushing car in neutral while locked) is a must have, please do not consider the Jazz. The CVT jazz cannot be locked if the car is in neutral. I have 2018 model. Check other Honda CVTs as well for this feature.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"pathetic parking conditions where cars are shoved and pushed around in neutral to make space.".
Similar concern regarding AT cars being pushed around in neutral. Apart from not being able to lock the car in neutral, I suggest to check if the car can be pushed around when in neutral gear. We have an A-Star, and need to change the lock setting for the car to be pushed in neutral.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 07:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Having said that the Jazz is a very reliable & comfortable car with a spacious interior even though the features may not be top class and the CVT may bother a few people
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If this above facility (pushing car in neutral while locked) is a must have, please do not consider the Jazz. The CVT jazz cannot be locked if the car is in neutral. I have 2018 model. Check other Honda CVTs as well for this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Similar concern regarding AT cars being pushed around in neutral. Apart from not being able to lock the car in neutral, I suggest to check if the car can be pushed around when in neutral gear. We have an A-Star, and need to change the lock setting for the car to be pushed in neutral.
This is a really key piece of info! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanetrucker View Post
Thanks in advance
Quote:
Its 2018 top end, 8k Odo. Got it for 5.7L in BLR.
How's the service network/experience for Nissan?
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 11:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
How's the service network/experience for Nissan?
No issues so far. 10k service done at ASS.
Its again dependent on where you stay. Do visit Nissan dealer near your place.
There are enough Micra/Scala on the road so part availability shouldnt be an issue.
For used vehicle out of warranty, you can even go for nearby FNG for service.
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 11:22   #25
BHPian

Amaze automatic varients are very VFM. And if you have the cash, do look for pre-owned options in the market for post 2018 model.

One thing though, I am 6ft tall, 200+ pounds and for journeys more than an hour, I find under thigh support lacking. And given your heavier built it might be an issue for smaller routes as well. Do take a test drive.
Old 11th September 2022, 12:36   #26
BHPian

If used car isn't a problem, what about..., a City again!? If you can manage the size of the City in the city, considering that you already have/had a City. Buy a used City CVT if you are looking for the best engine/gearbox combo. It's a trusted car (I am assuming you like Honda City), it's smooth, refined and fulfills all the requirements if I am not wrong. You can't go wrong with this car. And it requires very less care and rarely something goes wrong mechanically.

If you like to drive too, I wouldn't suggest Jazz which is not fun to drive at all. The 1.2L engine is lackluster. 1.5L I-VTEC is the perfect balance of all things you'll ever need. And I feel Honda will act as the best beater car. Driving the 3rd Gen City, I can tell you that in the long term, quality of materials and fit and finish is better than Maruti Suzuki cars. MS cars are mechanically sorted but I simply don't like the quality of the materials, fit and finish, and quality control. Also, as you said your car is 2007 model, it must be the 2nd Gen and not having the I-VTEC engine. I would suggest you to try out that engine with CVT gearbox once.

If specifically looking for a hatchback, in a nutshell, Jazz would be the smoothest and most reliable but don't expect it to be fun to drive, Maruti cars would come with AMTs which I don't really suggest. I cannot comment on the reliability of newer Hyundai cars as we had a positive mindset regarding Hyundai due to Santro. But now, there are QC issues or other issues which are reported on Team-BHP by the users. All in all, it shouldn't give much problems as the issues vs the volumes sold is very less and Hyundai is anyhow a top selling brand whatsoever. You can get an i20 IVT as a beater car but again it won't be fun to drive if that's also what you are looking for.

To sum it up
  • Would highly suggest Honda City if size is manageable
  • Jazz if you want the ultimate beater car compromising on powertrain
  • Maruti only when shopping in budget constraints and other options don't suit your need (Because I H-A-T-E AMTs, personal opinion).
  • Hyundai i20/Venue if you want an upper segment hatch with a proper AT (i.e CVT or TC. DCTs have more wear and tear making less suitable as a beater car and moreover you already own a DCT).
  • Honda NAs are usually than Hyundai NAs and have relatively more oomph. Hyundai Diesels are better than Honda. Maruti AMTs are a sore point but if open to diesel and fine with AMTs, Swift Diesel with an AMT would be a good option too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks