Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2022, 13:25   #1
BHPian

Beater AT to replace my 15-year old Honda City in Delhi

Hello BHPians,

In a few months, my trusty Honda City 2007 AT will no longer be legally driveable in Delhi. It serves as my daily beater car, and I need to find a replacement.

Here's about me:
My 'main' car is the Creta 1.4 DCT which I take on weekend drives and night-outs. I work in a Central Govt. office in Delhi, with pathetic parking conditions where cars are shoved and pushed around in neutral to make space. Monkeys abound as well, jumping on vehicles and defiling the paintwork. Hence, the Honda City over the Creta for my office commute. I am just over six feet tall, (over)weighing in at 120+ KGs with a lower back issue (slipped disc). My office drive is about 5 KM at present but may go up to 10 KM if shift houses and is almost always solo. I also use the beater as a backup car when my Creta is loaned to my brother, out for maintenance or if I am navigating narrow or crowded places.

What I think I need
  • I would like a smaller car so that it is easier to fit into tighter parking spaces and manoeuvre in congested areas, but I would like to sit comfortably in the driver's seat.
  • I want a car which has good air conditioning for the extreme Delhi summers (and winters).
  • I want an automatic car, as I am used to AT by now. Would prefer a TC/CVT over AMT.
  • I want a reliable, low & cheap maintenance vehicle as it will be my daily beater.
  • I would prefer spending lower than Rs. 7 lakhs, even lower is better. I am happy to go the used car route.

Looking forward to getting expert suggestions from fellow BHPians. Do let me know if there are any other factors I should list.
iamitp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 15:08   #2
BHPian

re: Beater AT to replace my 15-year old Honda City in Delhi

Get the Amaze CVT, look at 2013-14 models you’ll get them at 2.2-2.8L. Very reliable and low maintenance. Just have it checked thoroughly before you buy at the dealer and by your trusted mechanic.
AJ56 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 12:19   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beater AT to replace my 15-year old Honda City in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I am just over six feet tall, (over)weighing in at 120+ KGs with a lower back issue (slipped disc). My office drive is about 5 KM at present but may go up to 10 KM if shift houses and is almost always solo. I also use the beater as a backup car when my Creta is loaned to my brother, out for maintenance or if I am navigating narrow or crowded places.
After 2 smooth ATs, no way you'd be able to live with a jerky AMT. Only CVTs or Torque Converters will do. Lots of options in the 7 - 8 lakh budget (click here for listings). As a beater, I would strongly consider a Baleno or Glanza CVT, Ciaz Automatic (top choice), i20 CVT and Amaze CVT (here's a neat 2019 model).

If you are willing to spend a little more, how about a used Magnite CVT? Taller seating might help your lower back issue. Turbo-engine can be fun. Almost new. Extend the warranty and you're all set.

Let us know what you finally pick.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 13:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get a Jazz CVT when it's available. It's spacious (albeit a little long in the tooth), smooth transmission, fuel efficiency, easy to punt around and park. Beater it is!
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 18:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Get the Amaze CVT, look at 2013-14 models you’ll get them at 2.2-2.8L.
That's a good pick! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a beater, I would strongly consider a Baleno or Glanza CVT, Ciaz Automatic (top choice), i20 CVT and Amaze CVT.
Thank you! Dropping the Ciaz and Magnite due to the proportions, and also because I'd like to pinch some pennies. Will probably need a new car for my parents next year when their Honda City 2008 MT also retires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Get a Jazz CVT when it's available.
Thanks for helping me shortlist!

Here is the list now. I think prices should fall in this order. Following our Team-BHP best practices, I am looking for something under 50,000 KM on the odometer and less than 5 years of single ownership. An extended warranty would be the cherry on the cake.
  1. Honda Amaze
  2. Hyundai i20
  3. Maruti Baleno/Glanza CVT

Last edited by iamitp : 27th August 2022 at 18:27.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 09:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ritz was a CVT and a tall boy design, however finding one maybe a difficult task. But if you do it would save you a lot of money since Ritz AT has poor resale.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 10:27   #7
BHPian

@iamitp : As suggested by Durango Dude, pls consider the Jazz. It is a no nonsense fuss free car with excellent space management. I would pick that over the Amaze.
Samegoodkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 10:34   #8
BANNED

I have heard that the Honda Jazz has a service interval of 6 months, whereas for the Honda Amaze it is one year. The Honda Amaze should suit your needs better.
krsiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 12:18   #9
BHPian

Yes true, the Jazz has a service interval of 6 months. We have a Jazz CVT which has only clocked 9k since Jan 2020. I feel I am spending one service/year too much
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 13:05   #10
BHPian

Hi, I am at same spot as you, I am also looking for a reliable yet enjoyable automatic car under 7 Lacs. My search has zeroed down to Honda-Jazz after looking at other options. Jazz CVT seems to have a great resale value too, all the good/neat options are asking too much. Additionally, you may look for these options as well:-

1) Honda Brio (Limited options available in used market, the one available being sold for premium)

2). Grand i10 (Lesser AT options to look at)

3). Honda City (plenty options, but not sure you want such a big car again)
varoon9999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Amaze CVT or even 2013-14 City CVT will be the best choice. You already know the brand and must have some kind of relationship with ASC/FNG and will have to just carry it forward. Even Brio/Jazz would be good choice if you can get the facelifted one ( but the stock is so less in the market I gather)

I won't suggest older Hyundais as the TC gearbox isn't as good as Honda CVT.
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 17:47   #12
BHPian

Why don't you also look at Duster CVT. Ya, I agree the interiors belong to neolithic age but since its your beater car, you can live with the interiors. Its ride will be really great for our pot hole infested roads.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 18:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Ritz was a CVT and a tall boy design, however finding one maybe a difficult task. But if you do it would save you a lot of money since Ritz AT has poor resale.
That's incorrect. Ritz came with a 4 speed TC.

Like others have suggested, you can't go wrong with Jazz CVT. We have an Elite i20 CVT and our experience has been wonderful. With almost 50k on the odometer, we had to replace just the tyres and battery apart from the usual oils and filters. The NVH levels still are amazing and gives you a fuss free city driving experience. Service interval is 10k kms or 1 year.
rohittunga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 19:31   #14
BHPian

Jazz, Amaze and i20 can fit the need well.
One of my friend started exploring on the similar requirements.
Keen to see the decision in both cases.
KeepReading is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 19:41   #15
BHPian

We were in similar boat earler this year. Settled for used Micra CVT. Its perfect for our crowded cities. Smooth CVT, enough power, good interior space, decent FE, service interval of 10k/1yr, overall a reliable beater car. Do check it out.
C300 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks