Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 17:47   #1
FHW
BHPian

Have an Alto & Punch | Want to sell one, and get its Automatic variant | Which one?

Please merge under suitable thread if required.

Hello BHPians

I'm very blessed to be a part of this wonderful community and I need advice.

Currently I own:
1. 2013 Alto 800 MT, 55k on ODO
2. 2021 Punch Creative MT, 7k on ODO

Commute:
Daily office commute of 20-25km preferably in Alto
Weekly or fortnightly highway trip of 150km in Punch

I want to change one of the cars and buy its automatic variant.

My requirement: Automatic Transmission.
Budget friendly.

My question: Which car to sell?

Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2022 at 09:44. Reason: Adding more clarity
FHW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 07:04   #2
BHPian

re: Have an Alto & Punch | Want to sell one, and get its Automatic variant | Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
Please merge under suitable thread if required.

Currently I own:
1. 2013 Alto 800 MT, 55k on ODO
2. 2021 Punch Creative MT, 7k on ODO

My question: Which car to sell?
From a financial standpoint, selling the Punch does not make much sense:
- you will get a solid depreciation punch in your face
- should be in warranty, take extended if it makes sense or not already taken
- modern/ contemporary as it is a recent model
- much less wear and tear

Unless you are facing a some nagging issues in driving experience or maintenence, this appears to be the one to keep.
ajayc123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 09:52   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Have an Alto & Punch | Want to sell one, and get its Automatic variant | Which one?

The answer is easy. Sell the Alto. It's old & well-used. Your Punch is almost brand-new and the AMT version of the Punch is too jerky, so no point getting that home.

You can sell the Alto MT and get an Alto AMT. I prefer Maruti's AMT tuning to Tata's.

Would further suggest checking out the AT variants of the S-Presso, Celerio, WagonR & Ignis. Of these, the WagonR 1.2L AMT & Ignis 1.2L AMT will be the most preferred. The bigger 4-cylinder motor makes the AMT much better than the 3-cylinder 1.0L adaptation.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Have an Alto & Punch | Want to sell one, and get its Automatic variant | Which one?

Quote:
Commute:
Daily office commute of 20-25km preferably in Alto
Weekly or fortnightly highway trip of 150km in Punch

My requirement: Automatic Transmission.
Your question has the answer hidden inside it. Need for Automatic transmission , old alto, new punch. This implies Alto should go, and boy it will sell for a really good sum.

Punch : Assume you are happy with the space it offers and are sorted with punch for highway trips
Alto : Since auto transmission is what you need, commute is where it will be required the most and hence replacing your commute car is the answer.

S Presso would be my advice for a new AMT car.

Last edited by silverado : 9th September 2022 at 10:18.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 09:19   #5
BHPian

Sell Alto and get Celerio AGS . It's small, nimble and have good fuel economy. So you will have a like to like replacement.
AGupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:19   #6
BHPian

Answer is given by many experts already meaning replace the Alto . Better to keep Punch MT for highway runs( as it is new car also). Automatic is required mostly in city commuting situations .But remember Alto 800 does not have Automatic version( Available only in Alto K10 avatar). Select any one of the AMTs ( K10, Spresso, Celerio, WagonR with same K10C engine) or ( WagonR , Ignis with same K12N egine) after test drives.
kvsneela is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Dear friend, this is my kind request to you for your good itself.
DO NOT BUY AN AMT FROM TATA MOTORS.
I know the experience and service issues of one AMT (Nano) and the problems it gave were so concerning. Six years later, the problems have almost been eradicated but I will never suggest my most hated person also to buy an AMT from Tata. Also, your Punch is quite young, so I would advice you to change your Alto for a new AMT. Since I am also in that dilemma, let the other experts advice you.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:07   #8
BHPian

Sell the old Alto, Buy an IGNIS AGS AMT.

Why sell the Alto:
- It is older
-It has run for more km
-Certainly you get a very good resell value of Maruti Suzuki car.

Why IGNIS:
-Discounts on Maruti Suzuki car in this car market condition, excellent VFM package if we compare with other Maruti Suzuki car prices
-IGNIS though not a good looking car, it is of comparatively good build quality among Maruti cars of similar category,
- Good GC, bigger tyres,
- 1.2 litre 4 cylinder good engine,
-Good sitting position, good visibility for city drives,
- present IGNIS AGS is good. I drove it in the hills.
-boot space is good.
Negatives:
- Suspension is little stiffer for city rides,
- Looks lboxy

But why this question came in your mind that Punch is also an option for replacement? Are you unhappy with the punch MT or any such feeling?
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 13:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I want to change one of the cars and buy its automatic variant.
Very curious to know- why haven't you bought the automatic in 2021 itself when you bought Punch? Does some condition (city, traffic, user, health etc.) change down the line since 2021?

Its very clear decision IMO, that you don't have to sell Punch - SUVish, Newer, within warranty, High depreciation hit incase you sell. Instead you can trade in alto with new alto AMT.

All the best and do update about your decision and economics.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:33   #10
BHPian

A caution- Once you have a good automatic, the manual often sits idle!

Consider the 1.2 AGS WagonR. It's a roomy tallboy with good AMT.

If you have a bigger budget, consider magnite/kiger turbo petrol CVT. The CVT"s smoothness beats out a good AMT.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:34   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As iterated earlier by other members of the forum, It is the Alto that you should let go off, the new gen Alto K10 AMT is a worthy alternative and one that would fit your needs well. I am quite skeptical of the AMTs from Tata, so getting an AMT from Maruti would definitely be my recommendation.
Old 11th September 2022, 11:52   #12
BHPian

My experience with AMT is not really good. Too jerky, juddering while picking up speed from 0, and abrupt and evident shifting. I would highly recommend you to get any automatic transmission but AMT. I am not sure why you want to purchase the automatic of the same car that you own, but I would rather encourage you to go for a proper automatic transmission if budget allows, or maybe a second hand route if you are open to that? In that case I would recommend a 1.0 TSI AT Polo in the second hand market. Perfect driver's car with perfect transmission.

That said, if brand new, I would suggest to swap your Alto with Swift/Ignis/Baleno AMT as they are supposedly a bit better built than other Maruti cars in the lower price bracket. If you want the pure automatic joy, Magnite/Kiger CVT are entry level products to experience one. The CVT gearbox is very well tuned and the drive is smooth and seamless.

Last edited by FrAgile : 11th September 2022 at 12:01. Reason: Adding text
Old 11th September 2022, 19:02   #13
BHPian

I see you have already got the desired answer which is selling the Alto.

However I have few questions,
1. Why don't you use the Punch and travel to office as well?
2. Why an AMT? Why not amaze or kriger or magnite cvt?
Old 11th September 2022, 19:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have a question for you. Do you need 2 cars ?

Both of them appear compact so you can have one automatic and replace both. However if 2 cars are a must, then Do keep Punch

Two cars - Sell alto and buy new Alto k10 AMT
Single car - Sell both, get yourself an upgrade (Venue, Sonet, Kiger, Brezza, Nexon etc)
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 23:57   #15
BHPian

Selling Alto seems like the obvious answer since it not serving you in highway rides and not in city as well due to lack of auto transmission.

You haven't mentioned your budget but since its gonna be only for city runs I'm assuming you want to keep it as low as possible which means AMT is you only option. Only Hyundai and MS have decent AMTs so your options are limited.

In my opinion, Alto K10 and Spresso should be your top candidates. If you push your budget a little but, you will see much better options like Ignis, I10, etc but the problem with choosing those is, you might end up not using your Tata Punch even in highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks