Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 21:53   #16

hi guys,

Even I am in the same boat...trying to decide between xeta/wagon r/santro having more or less same reqs.

I have a question on Wagon R Lxi model.
Does it come with body color bumpers and power windows??

Somehow i cudnt find this info on their website.
Old 9th July 2007, 23:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_s View Post
hi guys,

I have a question on Wagon R Lxi model.
Does it come with body color bumpers and power windows??
the lxi comes with body coloured bumpers but no power windows

power windows only come on vxi models
Old 10th July 2007, 02:35   #18
BHPian

Xeta: Cheap to buy, comfortable and spacey, ot good to maintain.
Wagon R: Good Allrounder with cramped rear seats.
Santro: Good Allrounder from Hyundai stable but their Service is going downwards and so does the quality.
Old 10th July 2007, 15:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
the lxi comes with body coloured bumpers but no power windows

power windows only come on vxi models
Well thats bad, Estilo Lxi has the power windows in its Lxi model itself.
Thanks for ur response though.

I have few more queries.

1. Which among the three Estilo/Wagon-r/Santro has better rear seat comfort.
2. Which among the above three will be better for 3 people in the rear seat?

Thanks,
Old 12th July 2007, 06:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
... india has reliability issues and also resale issues i guess ,but if space is priority and you need a car for 3-4 years then india will also do ,...
you mean Indica here.. right?
Old 12th July 2007, 09:55   #21
BHPian

I own a WagonR LXi that I bought 3 years ago. It's a decent package and is quite balanced if you take all things into account, namely, space, performance, FE, drivability, comfort, A.S.S. etc. The driving position is very good and one has good view of the road, just be a little careful about the wide A pillars. The rear space is comparable to Santro's, but the boot is larger. One can have large suitcases there.

Santro is also a good car, and perhaps there is slightly more driving pleasure in a Santro than in a WagonR. But Santro owners, at least many of them complain about bumpy rides in the rear seats. I believe backing up in reverse gear also may be a slight problem, the rear view is restrictive. Check with Santro owners, or even better try out one yourself. The boot is small, it's hard to keep anyhting substantial there.

I have never driven a Xeta, so cannot speak about the drive. But I have driven Indica diesel. Inner space is tremendous (I assume it's the same in Xeta), but I found the driving position not to my liking. This is something that you yourself should decide.

Without a doubt, I like the ride quality of the Palio Stile 1.1 way above anything in its class. There are other issues with Fiat you will find elsewhere in this forum. If you are comfortable with those (mostly with A.S.S. and resale), you may consider it too. I hear these are improving after the joint venture with Tata. However, with all the discounts available on WagonR and Santro currently, the Palio might be a bit more expensive.

Whatever car you go for, buy the version at least with power steering. It's very useful in city conditions. For WagonR, that would mean at least the LXi version and for Santro, it would be at least the XL version. Both of them I think would come within your budget as long as the current discounts continue.

Finally I like to say that, on my WagonR in these three years and a half almost, I have spent only Rs. 20 for a fused brake lamp, other than the regular scheduled maintenance. So far it has been a very reliable car with no issues at all, starting from the day I took delivery.
Old 13th July 2007, 16:15   #22
BHPian

dont buy the indica. either go for the santro or wagonr.

overall, santro is a slightly better car than the wagonr. if you have 5 people in your family, i'd recommend the santro. i have a wagonr lxi and i personally like it more than the santro.

wagonr is a reliable car and maruti's service network adds to it. the price of the parts are pretty reasonable as well and slightly lesser than the santro. it's very comfortable to sit and drive too.

the problems i find with the car is that:
it's 'A' pillar is very wide and it hinders in frontside view.
it can seat only 2 people at the back (comfortably).

i think there is a difference of about Rs 25,000 between the lxi and vxi model. but i'd really recommend you go in for the vxi variant since it has power windows, rear wiper, rear defogger and now alloy wheels as well.
Old 13th July 2007, 17:21   #23
BHPian

Please also consider that Santro has bumpy ride. I have seen many of my friends complain about it.

BTW, how about Chevy Spark? Even though little expensive, it looks much better. Sorry if you had rejected this earlier.

Last edited by windsurfer : 13th July 2007 at 17:23.
Old 13th July 2007, 17:49   #24
BHPian

I would suggest Spark. It is a much better car.
About the other cars--

Indica: pros:Space, Ride, price
cons:Build quality, handling
Santro: pros: Resonable space, build quality
cons: Bumpy backsheet ride,
WagonR: pros: Maruti network, proven engine
Dated look, not very stable at speed, Rear slightly cramped

Last edited by DCEite : 17th July 2007 at 13:58.
Old 13th July 2007, 18:00   #25
BHPian

Go for the Santro. Even after so many years, it is still the best all rounder. Decide on the variant based on your liking for creature comfort.
Old 14th July 2007, 13:23   #26
BHPian

I will also suggest go for either the Spark or the Santro ... I own the Santro and have found it to have only one problem ... bumpy rear seat except for that it is a good car ...

But it is far too common on the road ... if I were choosing a car now I would have chosen the Spark ... really looks cute and is good in every respect ...
Old 16th July 2007, 16:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_whizz View Post
About the other cars--

Indica: pros:Space, Ride, price
cons:Build quality, handling
lol... it's amazing to see that people
1. either pass comments without driving the car
2. or that having driven it, think its handling is poor.

take the indica, santro, wagonR, estilo to the highway and it's beyond argument that the indica is the one you're likely to throw around. its handling may not be sportscar-like, but it's good enough for any sane driver. and BETTER for sure than any of the other 3 cars compared here, on account of its low stance, if not anything else.

build quality has become an oft-abused concept, thanks to these auto mags. what exactly does one mean by the term? it consists of several aspects, and outrightly rejecting indica as having poor build quality would mandate that it score very low in all these aspects. downright untrue.

not raising a sales pitch for the xeta, but all i'm saying that the car is sweet, and just doesn't deserve the malice it gets.

buy a merc, and i assure you - you are not spared from niggling problems. the xeta is not a bad car. on the surface, yes, fit and finish belong on a truck - but otherwise, it's right up there. and with a few strengths that no other car has in its segment.
Old 16th July 2007, 16:36   #28
BHPian

Uv-a

Hi,

Just back from test drive of Chevy- UVA, and Am considering cars WagonR-Vxi, Shift, Uva till now and with a budget of 5 lacs. After a test drive across silk board -, BTM layout and a speed run around ORR UVA is also a good contender for city drive & decent highway drive.

Cheeers,
Old 17th July 2007, 12:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Hi,
After a test drive across silk board -, BTM layout and a speed run around ORR UVA is also a good contender for city drive & decent highway drive.

Cheeers,
After a speed run around ORR? how long was the test drive? and which dealer?
Old 17th July 2007, 13:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshvinKumar View Post
Hi

This is going to be my first car. I am interested in the Xeta 1.2 GLG, but found a lot of reliability issues in this forum itself and a general opinion that TATA's will have reliability issues. I can understand its VFM though.
Should i go for XETA or should Wagon R or Santro be my choice. My second choice would be Wagon R. I have fixed a budget of around 3.5-3.7 lakhs.

My primary requirements are Space and Rear comfort, FE, Maintainence in that order.
I know Xeta leads in space, but is Wagon R a better package here because its from the Maruti stable. Vehicle would be mostly driven in city (Chennai) and would run for about 500 kms only in a month initially. I intend to keep this car atleast for the next 4-5 years. So maintainence and after sales service should also be good.

Considering these facts can the respective owners suggest me with their opinions?

Thanks in Advance
M.AshvinKumar
Ashvin,
If your budget can be stretched a bit, suggest you consider Getz Prime too (comes at 4.3L, on road Chennai). would meet your space requirements well.. try test-driving one..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks