Keep 87 69.60%
Sell 38 30.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2022, 21:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Dilemma to keep or sell my 1999 Maruti Zen

Voted Sell.

This was exactly the car I wanted to buy in 1999. There was a delay for this colour and hence ended up buying Zen Vx Cyprus Blue. That was my first car and I used it for 5 years and parted with that when odo was 65K

The reason for recommendation is that it except for body styling (my opinion), it is outdated by modern standards. The car is underpowered and there is hardly any safety mechanisms. Lack of power steering could be a nuicense for any one trying to drive. Due to the same reason, I doubt your daughter will prefer this car once she learns driving
n_ramesh99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 23:12   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I have voted KEEP. Being a 2003 model, it has undergone a fitness test in 2018 and is due for the next one in 2023. The car is otherwise flawless and has a clean body line. The doddering components about which you are elaborating do need regular care from time to time. And more so when the car is ageing. Other than some routine maintenance and a weekly drive of about 10 Kms, it does not demand anything more.

There would be dozens of good workshops in Bangalore even now, who work on these beauties. If you have contacts with any member of the Karnataka Vintage and Classic Club (KVCC) he can elaborate about workshops who undertake carburettor repairs. The new generation mechanics are no good for such cars, unless trained.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 11:39   #33
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: There are several language, spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2022 at 10:06. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
vijuk21 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2022, 19:27   #34
BHPian

You’re not going to get much for it. On the other hand, by spending a little you’ll have a reliable runabout as a second car. We have overhauled our 2004 Alto and have no regrets whatsoever. On the subject, I too am looking for a good FNG in Bangalore so following this thread.

But I can help with an AC guy. There is a wonderful old gentleman who runs a little place purely dedicated to car air conditioning in the lane behind Joseph’s Commerce College, off Brigade Road. He must be in his late seventies and he has spent his entire life in the field of refrigeration. Absolutely the last word in AC expertise. Ours packed up a few months ago after 18 years of hard work. We had to spend a bit for replacement parts but it is now working at a level we can’t ever remember. Very nice person whose people will methodically take it apart and systematically see what needs to be done, only replacing if need be.

And while you wait, he has endless yarns of old Bangalore as he was the go-to man for people such as the Mallyas for their aircon needs. Great guy.

I’ll pm you his details if you like.

Last edited by RT13 : 11th October 2022 at 19:31.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 21:18   #35

I own a similar zen and similar to your car the AC stopped working. Finally after some recommendation from one of my friend I got to know about this place. It's a pretty big car mechanic shop. They repaired the AC and it's near perfect for a 24 year old car. Also when the AC was fixed the carburettor started acting weird. They fixed that also. Now the car is perfect to drive anywhere. They have really good mechanic who can work on old cars. Do have a look at this place.
Keep your Zen. You won't get another example of that. It's been with you since that long...it's worth keeping it longer.

This is the location
Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/sZHDwsRa3NCy4fmz8

It's on the 8th mile road, Nagasandra, Bengaluru. IKEA is the best landmark. It's very close to IKEA
Old 14th October 2022, 04:33   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
But I can help with an AC guy. There is a wonderful old gentleman who runs a little place purely dedicated to car air conditioning in the lane behind Joseph’s Commerce College, off Brigade Road. He must be in his late seventies and he has spent his entire life in the field of refrigeration. Absolutely the last word in AC expertise.
And while you wait, he has endless yarns of old Bangalore as he was the go-to man for people such as the Mallyas for their aircon needs. Great guy.

Please PM me his details. I love such people and especially those of old Bangalore. They had greaylt expertise in working with their hands. And their knowledge is legendary.
Old 16th October 2022, 11:03   #37
BHPian

Voted for keep, even though we exchanged our 1997 Maruti 800 in May for the Tiago.
The M800 was mom's first car and she was very attached to it. Eventually, it started to show a loss in power and the underbody was rusting considerably.

Although we did have a very good FNG for many years to sort out the issues, the owner of the place himself recommended that we sell it owing to non-availability of spares and possibility of failing the next passing during RC renewal.
Besides, mom didn't have the patience to keep taking it for repairs and since I got married and moved out, I couldn't be around to maintain it either.

I do miss it at times, but yes, the maintenance would've been annoying at some stage.

The AC on ours also failed a couple of times and we had to replace the leaking condensor, pipes and what not.

If you can find a good FNG to tune it and keep the engine in good condition, and are able to source the spares, you could hold on to it a bit longer.
Old 7th November 2022, 01:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Dude, say hi to your car’s sibling:
Got the alternator rectifier changed and the battery is charging properly now. Previously it used to get discharged after every drive and like an EV, I used to take the battery home, charge it overnight and replace it the next day morn.
Boss, this is amazing, reminded me of our very first family car - Maruti-800. Got is restored many times but had to part ways in 2014. That was a sad day for the entire family. Wish I had your determination (and parking spot ) to keep it.

Great job, salute!
anirbanjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 11:08   #39
BHPian

Mod note: Post trimmed and please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability especially for people using mobile browser. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
You’re not going to get much for it. On the other hand, by spending a little you’ll have a reliable runabout as a second car.
====
Hi RT13, Back after a brief ban. Can you please send me his details ? I would like to get it fixed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2023 at 11:12.
Old 24th May 2023, 11:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

If you have endless resources, time and no parking issues, keep her. If not bid an emotional bye to her.

It is as simple as that, she is going to need attention and more and more of it as years go. A one time restore will give you peace of mind for few years at best. But maintaining is going to be eventually a task.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 12:07   #41
BHPian

I am planning to donate it for a noble cause where it will be useful. Before doing that, I would like to fix some basic issues and hand it over to the concerned. Please suggest me a good FNG for the same. I stay near Whitefield, Bangalore.
Old 24th May 2023, 12:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuk21 View Post
I am planning to donate it for a noble cause where it will be useful. Before doing that, I would like to fix some basic issues and hand it over to the concerned. Please suggest me a good FNG for the same. I stay near Whitefield, Bangalore.
Glad to know that the car is still available. I know a mechanic in Uttarahalli which is on the other side of your location. Approx 25 kms one way. But he is an expert in working on all classics and vintage vehicles. He has been working on Premier Padmini, Ambassador and Jeep too.

If you are ok with the distance then please PM me. Will share his contact details.
Oppanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 12:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi RT13, Back after a brief ban. Can you please send me his details ? I would like to get it fixed. Thanks in advance.
His name is Mr Tobias and he runs a place called We Cool on Markham Road, behind Garuda Mall.

Here are the deets

Wecool Car Ac
080 2536 4270
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JpvYfZvUQseKZAWJA?g_st=ic
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 13:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have the bandwidth and have ample driving opportunities, then it is a keeper. I am myself living with a '02 Zen for which I got the second fitness done a few months back. Just like yours, the only issue with the car is the AC. Otherwise it is very nimble and a boon in the crowded city traffic. FE in city is ~15KMPL and sometimes when I take it on highways, it easily manages 20+ KMPL.

However, you wrote that the car is carbureted and you bought this car in 2003. Did you buy it used? Asking this because there were no carbureted Zens sold by Maruti in 2003. Also the radiator grille and monogram logo on the hatch looks like of the prior model.

Regards,
Saket
Old 24th May 2023, 13:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mechanicals take it to a good Maruti garage, Mandovi is one of the better off ones. You can try multi brand outlets like Swastika Automobiles (Bommanahalli) also. AC most likely will need a little bit of money, to convert to the new environment friendly system (gas) but many AC guys do it now.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks