Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2022, 16:29   #1
BHPian

First car for a newbie driver in Delhi | 7-8 lakhs OTR

Hello everyone,

My friend has made up her mind to purchase her first car. She is a new driver and presently taking driving lessons. Her budget is a strict 7L - 8L (OTR Delhi). She would prefer a petrol automatic which has a low maintenance cost and is "hassle free". The car will only be used within the city limits. Monthly running will not be more than 1000-1200 kms.

Thanks!
kushagra452 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 18:11   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: First car for a newbie driver in Delhi | 7-8 lakhs OTR

Low maintenance and hassle free in a budget of 7-8L means that its got to be a Maruti. Within Maruti, these are the automatic options-

WagonR, Celerio, Ignis, Swift, Dzire and Baleno.

Within these I think that the Ignis Zeta AMT offers the most for its price. You get almost all the required features for this budget, and then some more. The Ignis also offers a 180mm ground clearance which is a boon. The Delta variant can be considered as well but the Zeta offers a lot more features for a small premium. You also have the Swift AMT VXI but it will go slightly over the budget while offering lesser features than the Ignis.

The Dzire and the Baleno are expensive. The Celerio and the WagonR are worth checking out but when the Ignis Zeta is available for the same cost as their top variants, IMO, I don't see a case for these cars. The Hyundai i10 Nios Magna AMT is one non Maruti option which should be considered though the maintenance and spares cost would be higher than an equivalent Maruti.
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 18:47   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Considering your budget and preferences, the best options are listed below:

1. Maruti Suzuki Ignis Zeta 1.2 AMT
The Ignis is a practical little hatch from Maruti which feels much more premium than the other options in this segment, is a light car with refined motors offering peppy performance. The car is a practical city runabout with a compact footprint, comfortable seats, and decent interior and bot space. The service network of Maruti, availability of spares, and service are the best you can get among all the manufacturers in India.

2. Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R ZXI Plus 1.2 AGS
Easily maneuverable car with a sorted ride, spacious, practical interior, and large boot. The car is adequately feature-loaded and frugal too.

You could also consider the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Magna AMT and the Tata Tiago XTA but neither of these are as feature loaded or offer a wholesome package in the way Maruti does.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 19:24   #4
BHPian

I think you should ask her to get a less used Maruti from True Value, "haat saaf" and then buy new one as confidence increases. You might as well accompany her to True Value!

A new car minor shunt, has dented the confidence of many newbies. Especially in an unforgiving zone like NCR, better to start with a beater.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 31st October 2022 at 19:25.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 02:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

If she did not need an automatic, I'd say buy an S-Presso, save money and hassle, and call it a day. BUT considering an automatic is needed with peace of mind being key, it ought to be only either the Amaze CVT or the Baleno/Glanza CVT if there are any other new options that I am missing that come with a torque converter then definitely that, but just don't bother with any AMTs regardless of what else might seem enticing.
Old 1st November 2022, 06:44   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Hello everyone,

My friend has made up her mind to purchase her first car. She is a new driver and presently taking driving lessons. Her budget is a strict 7L - 8L (OTR Delhi). She would prefer a petrol automatic which has a low maintenance cost and is "hassle free". The car will only be used within the city limits. Monthly running will not be more than 1000-1200 kms.

Thanks!
Its nice to advise first time car buyers. Because one can live out one’s own dreams in this way. For a lady who has just started driving. And that too in the wild west of Delhi where largely lawlessness abounds and people are pretty much always in a rush and who will just as soon brush someone aside as look at them.
It is best that we focus on safety, security inside the cabin and robustness - to the extent to which we are able to achieve these.
If buying new, then there are really no options other than Maruti, Hyundai and at a pinch perhaps Renault and Tata.
Of course when we pay heed to the need for hassle free and low maintenance the compass will point straight to Maruti and Hyundai. So while we may want to recommend a new Ignis the moneyball will point to the S Presso and where we may want to recommend an I20, the moneyball will take us back towards the I10 maybe I10 grand. As others have recommended, the Glanza and Baleno are worthy contenders. My Dad has one and it is truly comfortable and almost cossetting.
Keeping some of these facts in mind, why dont you consider the ‘used car’ route? You’re quite likely in Delhi to get a slightly veteran EcoSport or S Cross or a relatively new Ignis or I20 or Maruti Brezza or Toyota Urban Cruiser all of which will help immensely with ground clearance, view from the driving seat and may also provide a certain level of help to keep other road users at a slight distance.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st November 2022 at 06:48.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:00   #7
BHPian

Thank you everyone for their inputs.

- Used cars are not under the realm of consideration. She wants her ride to be brand new only.

- She will check out the Ignis Zeta, Baleno, Punch and Tiago. Doesn't want to buy a WagonR (on a lighter note, para phrasing her comments - "Don't want to drive a Ola/Uber taxi").

A couple of more queries popped up:

1) Is it worth waiting till December to make the booking in order to get higher discounts?

2) Do the models under consideration also suffer from long delivery wait times?

Thank you everyone once again!
kushagra452 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 18:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- She will check out the Ignis Zeta, Baleno, Punch and Tiago. Doesn't want to buy a WagonR (on a lighter note, para phrasing her comments - "Don't want to drive a Ola/Uber taxi").
Any idea what's the reason for leaving out the Amaze CVT? It is arguably the best of the lot IMO.

Quote:
1) Is it worth waiting till December to make the booking in order to get higher discounts?
Definitely With rumors of Honda dropping the WR-V for something new, discounts can definitely be had. Although I would not expect any discounts from high selling cars like the Baleno, Punch and Tiago.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 00:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Any idea what's the reason for leaving out the Amaze CVT? It is arguably the best of the lot IMO.
Amaze CVT OTR price in Delhi is 9L+. She has a strict upper limit of 8L.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 08:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:

1) Baleno doesn't have any discounts running, atleast with the dealer we are in communication with.

2) Oh definitely, Baleno Automatic has a waiting period of 16 to 18 weeks at the minimum in Mumbai. As per the RM, all Auto Marutis have long waiting periods.
umohan98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 13:45   #11
BHPian

Re: First car for a newbie driver in Delhi | 7-8 lakhs OTR

Quote:

A couple of more queries popped up:

All are nice choices! Cannot go wrong with either. Punch is better finished and specced compared to Tiago; it is aging now. But, ask her once again, if she would like to get herself clicked beside the Ignis.

December usually is deal time and discounts are in order. The best deal would be if you get the discount in December but register in January. Possible? Remember, the waiting period is no more due to chip shortage, especially for the price range you are looking at. Keep that in mind, and hunt for bargains.

NB : My son is also named Kushagra

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 4th November 2022 at 13:47.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:10   #12

Check i10 NIOS also. I think the Sportz AMT should be in her budget. Light controls and balanced road manners makes it very easy to drive.
ravigupta000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 17:06   #13
BHPian

You didn't mention if she is looking for a new or pre-owned. If its the latter then a nicely maintained Honda Brio or a Nissan Miicro will suit her needs perfectly.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 17:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for their inputs.

Ignis Zeta/Alpha MT were readily available in October with Hefty discounts of up to 55-60k

I would also advise to check with Dealers from Gurgaon Faridabad also, for readily available AMT variants also. The discounts at the moment on Ignis are good as they get in my opinion.
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 18:47   #15
BANNED

I would suggest you to get the Ignis for the following:-
1. Hassle free experience
2. AMT is much better
3. 3 star average safety, better than rivals(except Tiago)
4. Ride height is tall so driving will be easy for starters.
5. Ground clearance is the best in the segment
6. Heavy discounts are being provided
And if she doesn't like the rear look, please let her know that looks are not everything, after sometime she will get used to it.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks