Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2022, 23:41   #16
bkc
BHPian

Re: First car for a newbie driver in Delhi | 7-8 lakhs OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Hello everyone,
The car will only be used within the city limits. Monthly running will not be more than 1000-1200 kms.

Thanks!
Why not, look for the Tiago ev, base model.

The monthly running is very less and it's Delhi, where bs6 is also risky. The absurd bs3-bs4 ban, may also extend to bs6, sooner or later.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 01:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

strict 7L - 8L (OTR Delhi). She would prefer a petrol automatic which has a low maintenance cost and is "hassle free".
Thanks!
Go for S-Presso VXI AMT. 6.5 Lakhs on road with lifetime tax, extended warranty and a few accessories. The maintenance cost is the lowest in the category. The same car has very simple MT option which can be used by experienced drivers, just in case.
anirbanjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 09:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
You didn't mention if she is looking for a new or pre-owned. If its the latter then a nicely maintained Honda Brio or a Nissan Miicro will suit her needs perfectly.
Thanks for your reply. She is not looking at pre-owned cars.
Old 11th December 2022, 14:34   #19
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. She is not looking at pre-owned cars.
Which car did she go ahead with and received any discounts or quick delivery? Did you consider Tiago, Celerio and Ignis? What were observations/pros cons from your experience?
y2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 14:46   #20
BHPian

Please help this confused soul!

Hi dear fellow enthusiasts,

I am 33 and have learnt car driving 17 years ago and got the license 15 years ago. while i learnt it well back then with the help of a driver in our own new car (Santro Xing) for 45 days, my father was very hesitant to let me drive because of the possible "mishaps" that an 18 yr old could cause on the streets while being absolutely ok to let me drive a 2 wheeler. meanwhile I lost interest as it felt like driving a car was forbidden and that it was not in my fate.

Cut to 2020, I finally decided to stop relying on the carpool apps to travel 60kms a day to the office and have taken the driving lessons again. This time, I took the 10 hours class in a Baleno and struck a deal with the same driver to teach me for a month in our own cars (the same ancient Santro and the new Jazz). This is when i realized that the traffic was no where near and easy to manage like before and it needs tremendous patience and alertness in the Bangalore city to travel short distances. while I enjoyed driving as such, I hated the small roads with bad traffic with all my heart. meanwhile, Uber was my friend as i could summon a car or an auto for a fraction of the price with no liabilities such as parking and maintenance.

Now, the cars I learnt to drive are all manual. my friends still make fun of me for not being a man enough (to handle a car in the city). friends apart, I now, feel that having a car is very important after having the baby. I also see that Uber cannot be completely relied upon and is necessarily not that economical these days. I want to now, really buy a small automatic car and start driving around. I feel that if I delay further, my age may not support this activity. which brings me to the question, What car do I buy?

Budget: flexible. Have money to spare but not over 20 lacs.

Usage: I work from home usually and even if my boss wants me back, I have office transport. mostly a weekender and would be using it to drop my baby to school which is 2 kms away.

Requirement: While I would love to have power, safety, reliability, looks, Oomph and all that, I just need a car that does not feel like a can and that is super easy to drive and stable in the little streets of Bengaluru! has to be automatic. I would probably never take it to a highway for long rides. At best short ones like a 200-300 kms one way once a year but I would not like this to be a judging factor. Should be easy to park and have enough space to accommodate a small family of 3 with the occasional shopping and grocery luggage.
Fuel Preference: while I love Tiago's proposition, I worry that it may not be for me as I live in a rented accommodation in an old area with no indoor parking. The best Jugaad I can think of is, using the 15 amp socket in the hall and running a 15 meter extension box to charge the car. could be risky and crazy but please educate me if someone is doing this already. This leaves me with Petrol.
My initial thoughts: seeing the family owned jazz for about 8 years now, I feel it is the best hatch that you could buy even today. the 2 things that i do not like in it are the size (personal reasons) and the sluggish engine. otherwise it is a great car for the prize even today!

Tiago EV: Rented house and lack of proper parking are driving me away from this. Please let me know your experiences if you have the same issues but are able to manage an EV.

Ignis: though there are many who hate this car, I feel it is really good for a city car. small, agile and not that heavy on the pocket. the cons being a little expensive for what it offers and the bad automatic gear box. But still, i think in the city, it may not be a big deal as the speed is never over 40 or 60 in rare cases.

Jimny: no idea on how it is going to drive but i feel this would be an overkill for just "city" requirement.

there are other TATA offerings but even a new driver like me do not like the 1.2L 3 pot. I know their cars are solid and feature rich. but I am sorry, I still like my cars to be best at the basics.

Finally, Help me please. all I care about is having a little power in the car and that is easy to maneuver in the city traffic easily with great visibility. Basics first and features next for me.

Thank you so much in advance!
flashgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 21:04   #21
BHPian

Re: Please help this confused soul!

I think a Jazz CVT suits your requirements. If you are ok with C-SUV's, then something like the Sonet would also be a good option.
Old 7th March 2023, 21:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please help this confused soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgo View Post
Finally, Help me please. all I care about is having a little power in the car and that is easy to maneuver in the city traffic easily with great visibility. Basics first and features next for me.
Welcome to TBHP

Ignis is good and since you prefer refined motors and a proper automatic is the way to go, I would suggest a TD of the new Brezza too. See if you're ok with the proportions when driving.
While I prefer manuals I cannot stress enough on the importance of an auto box, just one less thing to worry about in our chaotic streets. I would strongly suggest to get a proper automatic like a TC or CVT rather than the AMT.

Outside of that like others have suggested TD the Sonet too but from what I gather from member's posts, the diesel AT is the one to go for, but that isn't your requirement.
Try the i20 IVT too when you're at Hyundai.

But if you don't want to invest a lot and want a compact car then you can TD the Ignis AMT and see if that works out for you. The other option to check would be the i10 Nios AMT.

Last edited by shancz : 7th March 2023 at 21:23. Reason: added ccl

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks