Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 17:31   #1
CPJ
BHPian

Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

Hello BHPians!
Need your help in deciding a Second Car for our household.

A Little Background:
  • Me and my wife both love to drive cars.
  • We have a 2015 VW Polo 1.5 TDi, done 1,25,000 KM and its still munching miles as if it is new.
  • This car has been rock solid and we plan to keep it for another 3 years.
Now the need for a second car has arised, as my wife's office is going to resume, starting March 2023.

Requirements of Second Car:
  1. Automatic Hatchback, want to avoid AMT.
  2. Monthly running: 750 KM to 1000 KM.
  3. Mostly city use.
  4. Should be reliable with low cost of running, as we plan to keep this car for atleast 7 years.
  5. Safety: Good Build Quality with standard safety features like airbags & ABS with EBD.
  6. Budget: OTR 12 Lakhs (PUNE).
  7. Open to Preowned vehicles as well.

Cars Shorlisted
  • Tata Tiago EV XZ+ Lux Variant LR:
    1. Meets most of our requirement, but worried about long term reliability.
    2. Test drive vehicles have not yet reached showroom, so not sure about drive and feel of the car.
    3. Long Waiting Period, actual delivery might take place in April or MAY 2023.
    4. Overall fit and finish as comapred to Polo (Based on seeing Tigor EV in the showroom)
  • Preowned Hyundai Elite i20 CVT (2018 Make Onwards)
    1. A quick search on used car website, revealed a price range of around 8 to 9 Lakhs in Pune.
    2. A segment above Tiago, with good interior fit and finish.
    3. Major con: higher cost of running and maintainence.
  • Preowned VW POLO 1.0/1.2 TSI (2019 Make Onwards)
    1. A quick search on used car website, revealed a price range of around 8 to 9.5 Lakhs in Pune.
    2. Knows Devil: I'm okay with the After Sales Service based on my experince with VW Pune.
    3. Major con again: higher cost of running and maintainence.[/indent]

So considering the above scenario whihc car you feel is a safe bet for the next 7 years?

Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions.
CPJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

The Tiago EV is a new car, and could come with a few niggles, though should be relatively reliable given the decent word of mouth around the other Tata EVs. The biggest downside with Tata is the after sales support so check if there is a reliable dealer around you, and similarly about the EV - the worry of battery replacement is always there.
Optimistically as more people adopt EVs, the costs of a battery replacement should come down by the time you are in the market to replace yours but it is a risk you'll have to take.
If you're willing to overlook that - it could be a great option.

From the list, I am not too excited by the i20. I feel the price is too high and a new Jazz could be a better bet for a bit more. Yes, it is going to be discontinued, but that aside it's a Honda - meant to give you miles and miles of company.

I'd also avoid another Polo : Simply because you already have one in the house!
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 18:59   #3
BHPian

re: Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Requirements of Second Car:
  1. Automatic Hatchback, want to avoid AMT.
  2. Budget: OTR 12 Lakhs (PUNE).

Agree, there are doubts about long-term reliability and battery costs for Tiago EV.

With no AMT and budget of 12L OTR, I would suggest to have a look at Renault Kiger CVT or Nissan Magnite CVT.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Being a VW fanboy and a person who keeps their cars for longer, go drive a Taigun 1.0. It may be just what you are looking for!
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:45   #5
CPJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

The biggest downside with Tata is the after sales support so check if there is a reliable dealer around you
We do have three Tata Dealerships in Pune, so I'm willing to take a bet, provided the vehicle is reliable and my visits are limited. It was the same case with my Polo. Although I was concerned about VW after sales, but our Polo has been extremly reliable with only regular servicing being required.

Quote:
the costs of a battery replacement should come down by the time you are in the market to replace yours but it is a risk you'll have to take.
The standard battery warranty offered by TATA for Tiago EV is 1,60,000 KM or 8 Years, which I felt was good enough and yes even I'm hoping the cost of replacement should come down in coming years.

Quote:
If you're willing to overlook that - it could be a great option.
Indeed its a great option, proper automatic, low cost of running and the top model is feature packed.

Quote:
From the list, I am not too excited by the i20. I feel the price is too high and a new Jazz could be a better bet for a bit more.
Even I thought of Jazz, but the thought of the model being discontinued shortly made me think for other options & hence the i20.

Quote:
I'd also avoid another Polo : Simply because you already have one in the house!
Honestly speaking the VW Polo makes choosing any other hatchback a very difficult task for us. Our experince with Polo has been so good, that made us think of this option. But you are correct its time for something different.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
With no AMT and budget of 12L OTR, I would suggest to have a look at Renault Kiger CVT or Nissan Magnite CVT.
We do have a Renault Kiger CVT in our extended family, but I'm not fan of the design language,plus the top model will exceed my budget of OTR 12 Lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Being a VW fanboy and a person who keeps their cars for longer, go drive a Taigun 1.0. It may be just what you are looking for!
Hey Ferruccio, you guessed it right I'm a VW fanboy, but this car is strictly for the city use with cost of running being one major factor of decision making.

Plus as we keep cars for long durtaion, we prefer buying the top end models. Taigun top end is close to 22 Lakhs OTR in Pune.
CPJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 15:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

Quote:
Even I thought of Jazz, but the thought of the model being discontinued shortly made me think for other options & hence the i20.
I wouldn't be too worried about the model being discontinued. Even the 2019 i20 is a discontinued model and apart from engine components - you may have the same issues getting body / suspension parts, etc.
Only advantage the Jazz brings is the better space, better safety, and the fact that it's a brand new car for a similar price (V CVT v/s used 2019 i20). Since you like top end, there was a 2021 Jazz ZX CVT on carwale for an asking price of not much more than this 2019 i20.

In the pre-owned space, you can even look at other options such as Brezza AT : a 1.5 auto with a proper torque converter gearbox, good safety, and compact dimensions. Since it's an auto, the fuel economy wouldn't pinch much more (most of these options will give 9-11kmpl in city traffic as it is in their auto guise, so if it drops to 8-10kmpl for a better experience could be worth it IMO).
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 15:29   #7
CPJ
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on second car | Tata Tiago EV or Pre-Owned Automatic Hatchback?

Quote:
Since you like top end, there was a 2021 Jazz ZX CVT on carwale for an asking price of not much more than this 2019 i20
Will surely check out Pre-owned Honda Jazz.

Quote:
In the pre-owned space, you can even look at other options such as Brezza AT : a 1.5 auto with a proper torque converter gearbox, good safety, and compact dimensions.
Actually, instead of Brezza AT I thought of checking out S Cross AT, and was about to ask for the same.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 14th December 2022, 16:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, instead of Brezza AT I thought of checking out S Cross AT, and was about to ask for the same.

Thanks for the suggestions.
S Cross is a brilliant option as well. The better build, ride & handling, space are a boon and it could be a great option for highway trips too.
But given it's mainly city usage, the Brezza could be easier to pilot around - though to be fair our 1.6 has spent most of it's 76K on the odo battling city traffic. The second advantage of the Brezza is of course easier availability of parts given the higher numbers sold - with the S-Cross 1.6, certain parts have a waiting time but this shouldn't be as severe for the 1.5 AT as the engine is common across other Marutis.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will surely check out Pre-owned Honda Jazz.
Why not just save a chunk of money and go for a Brio AT instead? Parts will be available for another 10 years so you will not have any issues on that front and the gearbox is super reliable. Plus it is one of the few cars that has avoided the recent snobbish pricing trends in the used car market because it makes no snobby pretensions

Quote:
Actually, instead of Brezza AT I thought of checking out S Cross AT
S-Cross 1.5 AT is the best car out there for the task but it was only sold for 2 years I think? So finding one for a fair price might be difficult but if you do, then swoop on it. It is far better than the Brezza and easier to drive as well. But if you cannot find one, then the Brezza can be considered as well.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 16:54   #10
BHPian

As you are looking a second car, I would recommend the Tiago EV. Just ensure you have the space for setting up the charging port at home. I would also recommend you to test drive the Nexon EV and see if you can manage to fit your budget.

In general, for people in metros, EVs make a lot of sense as a second car.
BeantownThinker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 17:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a Pre owned Jazz CVT (2018 or 2019 make). You could get it for around 6-8L for V/VX variant.

Spacious, well built, 4 star NCAP rating, excellent CVT GB for city use, reliable and efficient.

Don't worry about the parts availability as it's a product that's been on sale for years.

For your shortlisted products-

1) Tiago EV- battery performance for long term is suspect.
2) Elite I20 CVT- Safety is a huge concern. Dead and lifeless steering is a no no. Performance too is lethargic.
3) Polo- Avoid, because you already have one! VW products maintenance and niggles is already well known. I am glad your Polo has been a spectacular performer, but you won't be always lucky!
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 19:29   #12
BHPian

Is in the market for similar cars. Looked far n wide for a used Jazz CVT but couldn’t find. Then looked for a big discount on a new Jazz CVT but none available now. Shortlisted i10, i20 and Punch.

Have booked the i10 and Punch. Will probably buy the Punch.
VPJ74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 00:50   #13
BHPian

I would like to suggest the Tiago EV ideally as you're looking at a 9k - 12k kms a year. The EV would give you great savings as well. Please read about the battery type and ideal charging routines and see how it suits you as in this case, you'd be making a big switch to an EV lifestyle from an ICE one.

On the other had, since your Polo has done 1.25 L kms already, would you be looking at a replacement soon for that? Then, I guess, the whole equation could change.

Jazz CVT is such a no-brainer but the Tiago is even more compact and you can hop into the EV age as well.
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:

So considering the above scenario whihc car you feel is a safe bet for the next 7 years?

Hi there CPJ - looks like a predicament many of us are facing now, thanks for offices opening up post lockdowns. Given your minimal usage and ready availability of a good mainstay car, suggest you ahead with the Tiago EV.

EVs are fairly reliable in comparison to ICE cars. Given the 8 years warranty, your window of ownership is well covered.

Additionally, batteries are now so robust that they don't deplete much even after 12-14 years. Search on YouTube for old Nissan Leaf models or others which have clocked in excess of 150-200k kms.
The battery deterioration is not more than 10-12%. This coming from older gen battery cells.

With improved battery tech, better battery management systems (BMS), cooling hardware and millions of kms of real world usage, OEMs are able to churn out reliable EVs.

The waiting period is something you have to deal with - but its a small trade-off for your ownership stretching to many years
Aragorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 16:19   #15
CPJ
BHPian

Quote:
S Cross is a brilliant option as well. The better build, ride & handling, space are a boon and it could be a great option for highway trips too.
But given it's mainly city usage, the Brezza could be easier to pilot around.
Yes based on these exact points I have started looking for Brezza as well as S Cross. I'm really hoping to come across a less driven S Cross, as that is the only Maruti Suzuki car that I ever wanted to buy.

Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why not just save a chunk of money and go for a Brio AT instead?
Hey Ishaan, we already own a 2013 Honda Brio VX AT, which is a daily driver for my Dad. It's an absolutely beautiful car for city use with great visibility and proper AT. We are going to hold on to the car for atleast 2 more years.

Quote:
S-Cross 1.5 AT is the best car out there for the task but it was only sold for 2 years I think? So finding one for a fair price might be difficult but if you do, then swoop on it. It is far better than the Brezza and easier to drive as well. But if you cannot find one, then the Brezza can be considered as well.
Yes, finding a S Cross AT is proving difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
As you are looking a second car, I would recommend the Tiago EV. Just ensure you have the space for setting up the charging port at home. I would also recommend you to test drive the Nexon EV and see if you can manage to fit your budget.

In general, for people in metros, EVs make a lot of sense as a second car.
Hey BeantowThinker, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, we do have space for setting up charging port at home. Nexon EV is way out of our fixed budget of 12 Lakhs OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I would suggest a Pre owned Jazz CVT (2018 or 2019 make). You could get it for around 6-8L for V/VX variant.

Spacious, well built, 4 star NCAP rating, excellent CVT GB for city use, reliable and efficient.
Yes I have shorlisted Jazz and looking for a good example.

Quote:
For your shortlisted products-

1) Tiago EV- battery performance for long term is suspect.
2) Elite I20 CVT- Safety is a huge concern. Dead and lifeless steering is a no no. Performance too is lethargic.
3) Polo- Avoid, because you already have one! VW products maintenance and niggles is already well known. I am glad your Polo has been a spectacular performer, but you won't be always lucky!
Thanks for summing it up pretty nicely. Based on all your suggestions, shorlisted candidates are:
  1. TATA Tiago EV
  2. Preowned Honda Jazz CVT
  3. Preowned Maruti Suzuki S Cross or Brezza AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Is in the market for similar cars. Looked far n wide for a used Jazz CVT but couldn’t find. Then looked for a big discount on a new Jazz CVT but none available now. Shortlisted i10, i20 and Punch.

Have booked the i10 and Punch. Will probably buy the Punch.
Hey VPJ74,
Indeed true, finding a good preowned car needs a lot of seraching and patience. Prices are also on the higher side for good cars.

Punch is a great car and would have been my top pick, if it had proper AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I would like to suggest the Tiago EV ideally as you're looking at a 9k - 12k kms a year. The EV would give you great savings as well.
Yup, the saving on an EV as compared to normal ICE car is one of the main reason for shorlisting Tiago EV.

Quote:
On the other had, since your Polo has done 1.25 L kms already, would you be looking at a replacement soon for that? Then, I guess, the whole equation could change.
We will be replacing our VW Polo with a proper SUV after 2-3 Years.

Quote:
Jazz CVT is such a no-brainer but the Tiago is even more compact and you can hop into the EV age as well.
Yes, Tiago EV is great way to start our EV journey.

Thanks a lot everyone for the great suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks