Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2023, 22:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle

I managed to test drive the Venue with the same 1.0 Turbo and DCT combo and this just reinforced my decision to get the N-Line. I am yet to book the car and go through the process. I'll keep you all posted on the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
I am a bit confused with your write-up. You have test driven i20 N Line iMT and you are considering i20 N Line DCT post that.
I test-drove the iMT and found it to be a bit lacking when it comes to quick shifts. But I really liked the performance the engine offered. Since there is no manual option with this engine, I figured DCT is anyway a better option than iMT. Congrats on your Jazz btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
IMT felt like the worst of both worlds - you have to choose gears, but you lose the finer control over the engine the clutch gives you. That way the DCT is better
if you are worried about expenses, get an extended warranty!
Exactly why I am going with the DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Hope it helps and wishing you a happy booking and ownership experience!
Thanks a lot for the detailed response, Biji! Really appreciate the effort to clarify my doubts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
One short TD of the NLine (DCT), just a few minutes is all I needed. I paid the booking amount right away. Great fun car. Buy it, I say.
From not wanting to do anything with a Hyundai to not wanting anything other than a Hyundai, guess we are on the same journey! Congrats on your steed!
sibi6613 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:41   #32
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle

Folks, quick update. I’ve went ahead and booked the NLine DCT in Blue shade with Advaith Hyundai ORR. Wanted the Dual Tone option but it had a waiting period of 2-3 months. The dealer has a ready stock of Single Tone Blue and I’m expecting delivery in a couple of days post loan process!
sibi6613 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 23:24   #33
BHPian

Congratulations! The i20 N-Line is a great choice, especially with the DCT.
I hope you could haggle on insurance quotes from your dealer. They can easily give 5-8k discounts if you show them quotes from external sources, while ensuring that they're not reducing your IDV in the process.
Also, considering that you'll be doing mostly highway driving, the DCT should not give many issues. In fact, the extra 7th gear should help improve the FE.
Happy driving!
Old 20th January 2023, 19:09   #34
BHPian

There is a new wild card! Altroz racer with better looks, goodies and 170 Nm/120 bhp tune. It may be around the corner and answer to the N line and might end up being a bit cheaper. Plus you get a 5 star car.
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 08:22   #35
BHPian

The Altroz iturbo is quite different from the NA car. I have test driven both the N line and iturbo. I wouldn't prefer the N line mainly due to the DCT. The iturbo is a much safer, planted car with a proper manual transmission. Drive it once. It is not a boring car. As others have mentioned, wait for the 120hp version which should be in the market soon.
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 18:32   #36
BHPian

Team-BHP, meet Kanmani, the blue rocket.

Hey Folks, it’s been a very long time since the last update. Apologies for not being able to find the time to write detailed posts of my experiences post booking the car. Without further drama, allow me to introduce Kanmani.

I couldn’t have asked for a better start to 2023! The D-day was scheduled as Jan 13th. But there was some miscommunication between the dealership and the bank person leading to a delay in processing the loan and I finally got my hands on Kanmani on Jan 20th. After the formalities, I was handed over the keys to the car and the SA explained the features to me. There were a few ‘cringey’ and ‘corporatey’ items that they had to do as mandated by Hyundai. There was a song that they played welcoming me to the Hyundai family and they kind of gave me no option other than to pose for a photo with the sales manager with me holding a 10 rating for my sales experience. Apparently, Hyundai consideres anything less than a 10 to be an unsatisfactory response. And all the demo that was given to me was done to check boxes on a checklist but I did ask a few questions that weren’t a part of the list and the SA was able to give me answers to them just fine. During the first PDI a week ago, I had found a couple of minor scratches on the front fender which was fixed before delivery.

Odo reading 9km during the first PDI:
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5628.jpg

Minor scratches found during the first PDI:
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5621.jpg
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5622.jpg

New car smell and feel!
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5629.jpg

Delivery Ceremony (special ceremony as Hyundai would like to call it) with my close friends in Bengaluru, I am the one in the blue shirt
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5769.jpgHyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5784.jpg
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5787.jpg

January was a pretty heavy month for me in terms of my work and guess what, the first place I took Kanmani to right after taking delivery was my office, because I only had 2 hours time for the ceremony and formalities and Bangalore traffic ate 1 hr of it. I had requested for temporary registration as I planned to do the permanent registration in my hometown (Vellakoil is my hometown and the nearest RTO is 20km away in Kangeyam in TN) as I would probably be in Bangalore for a max of 2 more years only.

Some more pictures:
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5800.jpg
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5817.jpg
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5819.jpg
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5820.jpg

My work ensured that I stayed away from Kanmani as much as possible during the honeymoon week (well, not really, but you know how newlyweds behave xD). I had driven about 60km in Bangalore city the day after delivery. I had to go to my hometown for a function and what better way to travel than with my love? (~300km one-way, 365km including a few errands that I had to cover) on Jan 26. I had to return back immediately the next day, adding another 350km to the odo and boy was I enjoying my time with her! ~800km driven in under a week of delivery! She is going to burn a hole through my pocket with all the XP95 that she’s been drinking! I’m pretty sure that as long as she was able to not burn a hole through my heart, I’d be just fine.

Crossed the 1000km mark somewhere on the Highway!
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_7149.jpg

I did a few 10-15km drives within Bangalore over the next week, adding another 150-200 km to the odo and I had a trek to the Himalays lined up in Feb 1st week, which meant that I wouldn’t be spending quality time with the car until Feb 13. As soon as I got back to Bangalore from the trek, I took the car to my hometown again for registration (another ~600km round trip) and it actually took 3 days for the process to complete because the documentation required for registering a vehicle in TN was much more than what Karnataka requires. The inspector had decided to make me go in circles and I had to travel to Tiruppur RTO (~100km round trip) to get a signature approving the registration in the state of Tamil Nadu with temporary registration being done in KA. The dealership was either not familiar with the documents that were required (eg: STA approval of the design) or had not shared certain documents with customers before this (eg: load invoice aka invoice that was made to the dealership from Hyundai). But the sales folks from Advaith Motors (Mr Kavan and Mr Darshan) were extremely helpful in arranging for the documents and ensuring that I had what was required for registration.

Waiting outside the RTO Office:
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_7173.jpg
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_7175.jpg

Once the registration was complete, I took Kanmani back to Bangalore and she had already covered 1850km and was due for the first service. The recommended interval was between 1200-1500km, but since I was stretched for time, I had to go for the service after registration which added ~800km to the odo (600 km round trip between Bangalore->Vellakoil, 100km trip to Tiruppur RTO and some shorter drives to grandparents’ place adding another ~100km). It was a walk-in service and I had not informed them that I would be coming and I was taken aback by the service experience (in a good way, that is). I was asked to drop the car at the entrance of the service bay and I was greeted by a receptionist (?) *for the service centre*! I was asked to wait in the lobby and the entire place looked like a corporate office, not a back office for a service centre! And as I entered the waiting lobby, I witnessed something that I had never seen. It had a clear view of the shop floor below and it was, clean! Squeaky clean! This place looked like it was the place where they designed supercars. Workshops aren’t supposed to be this clean, I have no idea how Advaith Hyundai managed to pull this off. I was extremely happy seeing this and it gave me the confidence that Kanmani was in the right hands. The lobby also had a paid snacks counter with packaged biscuits and chips and I assume it also served tea and coffee. Nice touch if you are going to be spending a couple of hours while your car is being serviced.

Cleanest garage I have seen!
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_7224.jpg

The space on the left is the waiting area:
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_7226.jpg

I waited in the lobby for a few minutes and I was greeted by the service advisor. I asked for engine oil replacement as advised by the Team-BHP ‘how to run-in’ article but he was very insistent that it was not required until the first 10,000 km. I decided to trust the owner’s manual and gave a go-ahead for the regular service. The SA pushed me to get underbody coating and silencer coating to prevent it from rust. I wasn’t really sure if my mind believed his claims, but the heart wanted to take no risks with Kanmani and it said okay even before the mind had the chance to lay out its arguments. I went to my office after dropping her off around 9.30 am and I was surprised to see two messages from the SA on WhatsApp. He had sent me videos of the coating being done. This was again, very new to me and I was surprised at WhatsApp being used so effectively as a communication channel.

I picked up the car around 6 pm after paying ~4.5k for both the coatings and later that night I found out that they had cleared ‘waste’ that I had put in the storage space under the front handrest. The waste that they threw away included toll receipts (which is trash, anyway), but it also had fuel bills and a FASTAG from Airtel Payments Bank that I had not stuck to the windshield :( I got an Airtel Payments Bank FASTAG near a toll booth during the very first trip to my hometown a week after delivery as they were the ones that could support activating a FASTAG through VIN and without a permanent registration. I wanted ICICI FASTAG as that is my primary banking account and they told me that I couldn’t get one until I had permanent registration. I did not want to use one more app just to recharge for tolls. So I thought let me use the Airtel one temporarily (and hence I did not fix it to my windshield) until I receive the one from ICICI I did not think that the service person would throw everything away as this never really happened during the 12 years of my dad owning the Ritz. I was pretty bummed out because I needed the fuel bills (which had crossed more than 12k at this point) for claiming tax benefits and the Airtel fastag had around INR 500 balance left.

As we speak, the odo currently stands at 1975km and I will do a detailed follow-up post about my observations of the car in a few hours. Do let me know if you would like me to cover anything specific and I will cover that in detail.

Until then, here's a picture of Kanmani following the tire treads of our beloved Ritz:
Hyundai i20 NLine DCT vs Tata Altroz Turbo | Help me win a Heart vs Head battle-img_5868.jpg
sibi6613 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 11:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
There is a new wild card! Altroz racer with better looks, goodies and 170 Nm/120 bhp tune. It may be around the corner and answer to the N line and might end up being a bit cheaper. Plus you get a 5 star car.
Most probably it will carry Tata's new direct injection petrol turbo engine. Output should be in the range of 125ps/225Nm. Nexon will also have the same engine.
Old 13th July 2023, 12:02   #38

Duster to hatchback!!?

Hi all!

Have been a silent member for long now but an ardent follower of the forum.

I have got a situation, not very peculiar but confusing for me.

Background

I am a proud owner of 1st gen Renault Duster 110 Opt. Pack 2013 Model 185K kms on odo. Have used it for 10 years now and very happy with it. The ride quality is pure bliss and now I can’t help compare every car I sit in with the Duster’s ride. Has been expensive to maintain but manageable so far – clutch replacement, suspension relacement, bearings, brake assembly replacement and the likes

However, recently have faced issues with the ECM, Fuel injectors and some niggles / wear & tear here & there. Cumulative repairs nearing a lakh rupees.

So planning to replace the trusty Duster now, however the scenario has changed for me.

Scenario

Earlier was based out of Kolhapur (shifted from Pune during Covid & thanks to WFH!). Office started in Jan-22 and I chose to make weekly runs between Pune-Kolhapur. Weekly highway travel meant the Duster was very handy and I enjoyed the drives. In Pune, was staying close to office in Chinchwad, so daily office drive was short thus manageable with Duster & MT.

This month, shifted back to Pune plus took a new job. Now have to travel daily from Balewadi to Koregaon Park. For non-Puneites, this is ~18 kms one way through the heart of the city with very dense traffic made only worse with the Metro works going on.

So now desparately wanting to shift to AT more so due to the Duster’s very hard clutch. Since now the nature of travel would be 75% city and 25% highway with weekend trips out of city and occasional long trips, the goal posts have changed. Now I intend to sell out the Duster and go for a new car but with a low budget.

Wifey losing job in Covid plus she starting a new business led to me exhausting my savings + being sole income generator (till the business flourishes – say 3 years) sums up to being conscious on budget. So have set the budget at 12 Lacs OTR – expecting 4 lacs from Duster & 8 Lacs loan (emi target of 16K/month). May extend to 13L for better value.

Above all this since its going to be an obvoius downshift, don’t want it to feel like a major one in terms of performance and ride. The gap (atleast in mind) could be filled by plethora of features which the Duster is devoid of. Intend to buy the new car in 2-3 months time.

Note – I haven’t driven any other car extensively than the Duster for a long time so unaware how other MT cars drive in traffic or are they that much difficult. But do know for a fact that the 1st gen Duster is quite difficult for daily traffic commutes.

Few options that come to mind are –

Tata Altroz DCA

Hyundai i20 N-line DCT

Citroen C3 – Ride quality, looks, turbo. Eagerly waiting for an auto esp. rumored torque converter. Wondering if the MT would be easy to drive in traffic.

Looking to all of you for suggestions. Haven’t taken any test drives yet, so you may suggest other options than above.
Old 13th July 2023, 19:00   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Duster to hatchback!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivrajvp View Post
Hi all!
Few options that come to mind are –

Tata Altroz DCA

Hyundai i20 N-line DCT

Citroen C3 – Ride quality, looks, turbo. Eagerly waiting for an auto esp. rumored torque converter. Wondering if the MT would be easy to drive in traffic.

Looking to all of you for suggestions. Haven’t taken any test drives yet, so you may suggest other options than above.
The Altroz DCA is well within budget, but its performance is mediocre at best. It is however a safe, practical, spacious, and adequately feature-rich car for the price and is definitely worth considering.

The i20 N-Line DCT costs over 14 lakhs on-road, while the regular i20 DCT is definitely within budget and is a feature-rich and powerful car.

Other options worth checking out were the Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 both of which are due a facelift soon.

The Renault Kiger Turbo CVT can also be considered due to the fact that you get up to Rs.77,000 discount benefits including a loyalty bonus with Renault. it offers most of the features you need with a good engine and transmission combo.

Hope this helps and do check all of these out! and if you need any more help, feel free to ask!
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 19:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
The Altroz DCA is well within budget, but its performance is mediocre at best. It is however a safe, practical, spacious, and adequately feature-rich car for the price and is definitely worth considering.

The i20 N-Line DCT costs over 14 lakhs on-road, while the regular i20 DCT is definitely within budget and is a feature-rich and powerful car.

Other options worth checking out were the Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 both of which are due a facelift soon.

The Renault Kiger Turbo CVT can also be considered due to the fact that you get up to Rs.77,000 discount benefits including a loyalty bonus with Renault. it offers most of the features you need with a good engine and transmission combo.

Hope this helps and do check all of these out! and if you need any more help, feel free to ask!

Thanks a lot for the inputs!

Ruled out XUV300 since younger bro has it, don't want to have another one in the family. Nexon due to being too common. Kiger had crossed the mind, will definitely check it out.

Any intel on if & when C3 automatic could be launched? Really like the looks and going by reviews - the ride and turbo look endearing.
Old 13th July 2023, 19:34   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (6)
Re: Team-BHP, meet Kanmani, the blue rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi6613 View Post
The D-day was scheduled as Jan 13th. But there was some miscommunication between the dealership and the bank person leading to a delay in processing the loan and I finally got my hands on Kanmani on Jan 20th.

New car smell and feel!

Crossed the 1000km mark somewhere on the Highway!

As we speak, the odo currently stands at 1975km and I will do a detailed follow-up post about my observations of the car in a few hours. Do let me know if you would like me to cover anything specific and I will cover that in detail.
Hi @sibi6613, hope you are doing good.. Really happy that you N-Line has crossed 1000 km mark with ease. Being a Tamilian, I can understand why you have named her 'Kanmani' (it means 'dear one').

Hope you have a great motoring journey with Kanmani ahead.

I just wanted you to ask one thing: I personally want to buy a second cars for just driving pleasure, and I am considering 2 cars - The Venue N-Line and the I20 N-Line, along with the Altroz. Could you please share pictures of your car's pedals, infotainment system, rear seat armrest, alloy wheel and the digital cluster with options? Hope I'm not troubling you!
Old 13th July 2023, 20:10   #42
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivrajvp View Post
Thanks a lot for the inputs!

Ruled out XUV300 since younger bro has it, don't want to have another one in the family. Nexon due to being too common. Kiger had crossed the mind, will definitely check it out.

Any intel on if & when C3 automatic could be launched? Really like the looks and going by reviews - the ride and turbo look endearing.
The Citroen C3 is definitely a powerful car with good suspension and chassis, but even the upcoming C3 Aircross is said to be initially launching only with the manual owing to Citroen struggling to secure the torque converter automatic units from supplier Aisin. Although initial reports indicated the launch of the Automatic C3 in the second half of 2023, Citroen has kept quiet about it and it seems we will have to wait even longer.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 14:01   #43

Immediately striking out the Citroen C3 from the list. The 0 rating in Ncap could put the first nail in Citroen India's coffin. The end is on the horizon even before the beginning. Worried about the fate of C3 aircross now. Really hope Citroen acts fast as they have really good cars.

Have been researching on Kiger - ownership reviews on the forum are generally positive, looks to be a fine car. Shall begin test drives in coming days.

Altroz racer seems promising. Will it be in my budget of 12-13L OTR?

Most Viewed