Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 23:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Nids - DO let us know your TD experience with all these cars, I am sure if you TD one car a day, by the time you TD the last car, you will have more driving experience than any driving school will give you
OT - I think ROC suggested a mitsubishi cedia over the swift
LOL that was my personal case... i'd never suggest a mitsu cedia to a first time driver . The clutch is way too delicate
Old 13th July 2007, 02:59   #77
BHPian

@crazy: During my TD's i felt getz was easier to drive over the swift.
Old 13th July 2007, 10:31   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hope Nids doesnt regret posting her query on tbhp!! And Nids are u there..or left already??
Oh, this is nothing. The most classic 'What Car' question was when someone asked for a car to do 'Hanky-Panky'. I feel that thread deserves a 5 star rating, and should also be linked to 'The Official Joke Thread'.
Old 13th July 2007, 10:39   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Oh, this is nothing. The most classic 'What Car' question was when someone asked for a car to do 'Hanky-Panky'. I feel that thread deserves a 5 star rating, and should also be linked to 'The Official Joke Thread'.
Your signature is the answer, right?

Quote:
My next ride wud be a lorry perhaps.... Amazing road presence, fearful ricks n cabbies, and in all a DONT MESS WITH ME attitude !!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th July 2007 at 10:40.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:12   #80
BHPian

Looks like this thread would also eventually end up in the Joke Section
Old 14th July 2007, 22:16   #81

Guys, do we know what has Nids actually decided (or even purchased) ???Looks like only we are telling her what to do and there is no response from her ...Nids, are you listening? What have you finally decided? Do let us know...
Old 15th July 2007, 12:36   #82

Spark Breaks my Heart :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by spycar84 View Post
Guys, do we know what has Nids actually decided (or even purchased) ???Looks like only we are telling her what to do and there is no response from her ...Nids, are you listening? What have you finally decided? Do let us know...
Sorry for the late update guys but was kinda dissapointed by the way my first car purchase is shaping up

Till Friday, I had made my mind up that if the dash / steering height is not an issue, I will buy a Spark. But alas, I went to the chevy showroom yesterday and found that the steering was indeed too high for me.

Now I am unable to decide whether to still go for the Spark as I like it a lot and hope that I will get used to driving it or not. The other problem is that I dont seem to have another alternative.

Wagon R - Ruled out due to a not too comfortable driving position (for me personally)
Estilo - Just not able to come to terms with its Froggy looks. ( again, a personal choice )
Swift - This might be the lsat option but still not sure whether its a good first car. BTW, what id the actual FE in the city for swift ?
Santro - Will phase out this year so no point it now especially when I have to drive the car for the next 5 yrs or so.
Getz - Have not evaluated as yet.

Kya karien kya na karein ye mushkil hai !! Koi to bata de iska hal o mere bhai !!
Old 15th July 2007, 12:42   #83
Senior - BHPian

check out the fiat stile 1.1 .. i think thats the only hatch you left out .. and theres alto as well
Old 15th July 2007, 12:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nids.Leo View Post
Kya karien kya na karein ye mushkil hai !! Koi to bata de iska hal o mere bhai !!
The only thing that is left now is the Estilo. But you will have to adjust to its "froggy" looks.
Kya karen, kahin na kahin to compromise karna padega naa?
Old 15th July 2007, 12:56   #85
BHPian

ok before you compromise - take a look at all the hatches.

and it seems you haven't yet looked at getz and chevy u-va. Go sit in these cars, who knows the view maybe to your liking. Both are good and stable cars

nahin toh compromise karna-ich padenga looks vs comfort

and remember whatever you buy - you will warm up to it and start liking it most probably!!
Old 15th July 2007, 12:58   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
ok before you compromise - take a look at all the hatches.

and it seems you haven't yet looked at getz and chevy u-va. Go sit in these cars, who knows the view maybe to your liking. Both are good and stable cars

nahin toh compromise karna-ich padenga looks vs comfort

and remember whatever you buy - you will warm up to it and start liking it most probably!!
The last two words scare me
Old 15th July 2007, 12:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest u go for either the spark or the santro. The estilo is pure C&*p!!! I think the spark has the better engine while the santro has more space(i may be wrong though) but hyundai A.S.S is way better than gm, at least in cochin..
Old 15th July 2007, 13:45   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
check out the fiat stile 1.1 .. i think thats the only hatch you left out .. and theres alto as well
Fiat Palio(1.1 stile) would be the best deal in hatch back segment. I am not sure about the services offered maintenance costs.
I have driven this vehicle and for sure you'd love the ride and safety features
it comes with. Pretty good engine, A/c, good pick up and power and spacious than other hatchbacks.

-Mayank-
Old 15th July 2007, 14:46   #89
BANNED

Well lady, we are first time drivers* in my family, and most drivers are ladies. Wife is 5'4", sis is 5'1' and mother is 5'2". Dad does not drive, so I am heavily outnumbered. :(
We decided on Wagon R, and nobody feels height challenged.
I really suggest you take some extra classes after getting your licence, and go in for an old M800, which you ought to get for less than 50K. Drive it around for 2 months (not more), and you are sure to get it scratched. Buy a new car only in the 3rd month.
My experience. My new WagonR was scratched on the 3rd day solely due to a misjudgment - miscalculated a post in the inner side of a curve. AAAARGH!!!!
(*) Mother is driving after 30 years, and I am driving after 15!!! Given the traffic in Cochin, we are as good as newbies.
Old 15th July 2007, 15:17   #90
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nids.Leo View Post
Till Friday, I had made my mind up that if the dash / steering height is not an issue, I will buy a Spark. But alas, I went to the chevy showroom yesterday and found that the steering was indeed too high for me.

Swift - This might be the lsat option but still not sure whether its a good first car. BTW, what id the actual FE in the city for swift ?
Santro - Will phase out this year so no point it now especially when I have to drive the car for the next 5 yrs or so.
My gut feeling is that the problem you mention with Spark should have a simple solution and you should talk to the dealers about it. For example, you can try using a cushion on your seat to make the steering wheel more comfortably reachable. Unless that makes it difficult for you to reach the pedals with your feet. Or else would a larger steering wheel solve the problem? Options should be available in the aftermarket, if not with the dealers themselves.

Spark and Santro are the easiest cars to drive and one of these should be ideal for you, given that you have ruled out Wagon R/Estilo. Better stay off Swift, since you are a first-time driver. The Swift is more of an enthusiast's car and will come in handy if you need more space and go on long drives. For the city Spark/Santro will be much more convenient.

Last edited by rks : 15th July 2007 at 15:21.

Most Viewed