Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 00:20   #1

Keep or sell my Hyundai Getz

Hello BHPians,

First off, please forgive my noob'ness in my post. I'm entirely new to this forum.

A little background about me and my cars.
I own two cars
Hyundai Getz Prime 2007, I'm the 4th owner
Maruti 800 1998, I'm the third owner.

Both cars don't see even 500kms per month. The Getz atleast sees the highways twice a year for a couple of 1000km trips.

The 800 is there with us from 10 years, had its fair share of problems and I got it restored last month with Exhaust, Central locking and brake overhaul.
Got it's FC last month and I plan to use it mainly for city commute (<200km/month). Since it is my dad's first car, there is strong emotion and it's rock solid reliability is a plus.

The Getz on the other hand is an absolute gem to drive. It is a 1.1L engine but no slouch. It was a panic purchase when the 800's engine gave up. Nevertheless, it is mainly used for 'family' commute. The car completed 15 years last month and I got the FC renewed.
There is a sort of a midlife crisis going on for the Getz. Part availablity is a concern now and there are a couple of issues. 1, the silencer gave up and I had to get an aftermarket one. 2, the power windows and Central locking keeps acting up even after getting it repaired couple of times.
I am in a spot of bother whether I have to sell it of for a newer car or keep it.

My car hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet. I pushed her in a recent trip and she kept asking for more. I've spent around 20k in repairs and maintenance in my 3 years of ownership.

Maybe the trusted BHPians can help me out in deciding if the Getz can be my companion for another 5-6 years in terms of parts availability. It has run 85000kms and was 75000 when I bought it 3 years ago.

Buying a new car which can satisfy the NFS Most Wanted fan in me means a Slavia or an i20 NLine which sets me back by atleast 13L.

I just want to try to keep the Getz for as long as I could because of how good the car behaves on road.
SuperV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 17:10   #2
BHPian

re: Keep or sell my Hyundai Getz

I would say it's time to sell the Getz and move onto something newer and better. It's a 15-year old Hyundai, has 85k kms on odometer and you're already facing some usual age-related problems with the car. There is nothing particularly special about a Getz 1.1 Prime, it would have been a different matter if it was a Palio S10, Swift G13, a Polo 1.6 GT TDI or something niche. Spare parts will be difficult to procure and very expensive in some cases that it is likely to burn a big hole in your pocket considering the poor resale value for Getz in the market.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 21st January 2023 at 17:18.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Keep it for as long as it lasts then scrap it or sell it for what it fetches. The M800 will be much easier to service so retain that and get another car once the Getz gives up - but a newer one ideally that is still in production so parts are available.

Last edited by hserus : 21st January 2023 at 18:10.
hserus is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

The major issue you'll definitely face is parts - the ones relating to the car and not specifically the engine. That car hardly sold in India and it'll be a royal pain to obtain parts, even from Hyundai. But the 1.1l engine powered the Santro also and hence will have better support.

If I'm not wrong, a manufacturer is expected to keep a stock of parts for atleast 10 years from the last date of production. If I'm right, the Getz was last sold in 2009.

Last edited by Turbohead : 21st January 2023 at 18:54.
Old 21st January 2023, 21:23   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A new car purchase will be a huge investment, so you could keep your cars for as long as possible and then scrap them when they are no longer fit for the purpose. Parts are going to be an issue with the Getz, but as long as it serves you well without too much maintenance costs you should keep it.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 22:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My take - sell both and get a used car. The 800 isnt safe, though easy to maintain. The Getz is old, and long out of production. Would be better to have a newer and more reliable car.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:54   #7
BHPian

I understand your emotional touch with your M800. Same is the case with our 1996 M800. My dad's first car with a lot of memories. I learnt to drive in the same car. My brother learned driving. The car was mechanically sound with absolutely no problems at all until it was let go in 2011. The only reason to let the car go is situation - It was a day & night situational and timeline change between 1996 and 2011 in terms of road networks, driving behaviour, people, affordability, product quality, expectations, features, capabilities, etc, etc.

Regarding Getz, it is definitely a car to let go. Nothing special about this variant/model you have. Getz CRDi was a pocket rocket in terms of performance. And Getz 1.3 was a better car than this 1.1.

So the simple answer to your question is to sell both and get a new/used car (if your don't want to spend a lot). Since you also want to entertain the NFS fan in you, probably you can consider options like Polo (1.2, 1.6, 1.0 - based on your preference), Figo 1.2, Tiago JTP (if you can find one), Vento/Rapid (1.2, 1.0, 1.5), Ecosport petrol, Seltos 1.4, Fiesta (if you are able to find a good one), Punto 1.2/Abarth, Honda City, etc.
Old 23rd January 2023, 01:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sell the Getz. Current market conditions (long wait time + high prices) mean that there is demand for cheap cars that can run reliably. So you can probably sell it off for a good price to some used dealer who probably wouldn't have looked twice at it pre-pandemic.

Life is short, you have had your fill of beater hatchbacks. Get that slavia or virtus which might just be your last chance to own a fun ICE car before the inevitable switch to electric cars.

Last edited by Cresterk : 23rd January 2023 at 01:24.
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:35   #9
BHPian

Close your eyes, imagine that Getz is gone, now ask yourself if you are missing it or not, you will get the answer. I mean Getz isn’t a that tough car to maintain and feel emotional about it, you should keep it. I’m saying it from personal experience as I sold my Fabia in 2019 and at times I still miss it. We usually tend to miss these niche cars more than we would popular cars.
Aakash118 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:12   #10
BHPian

The automobile industry is going through a lot of changes. There is talk of more hybrids/EVs and less diesels and then we can see how low cost EVs are coming in the market. The next 2-3 years will see fast advancement in tech and new products at lower prices.

Therefore, you should hold on to your Getz. You seem to be happy with it anyway. Build a healthy budget of 15-20 lacs over the next 3 years and, towards the end of 2025, buy a great modern tech car.

As tech enhancement continues (example - faster charging batteries, cheaper batteries, intro of plug in hybrids in India, flex fuel advancements etc), the price of the tech will also reduce. Therefore, there's no saying what amazing cars we will have by the end of 2025.

Wait and watch. Then, scrap the Getz and buy something awesome!
sjain2054 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 15:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Personally I would say keep the Getz and sell the 800 for now. The Getz is the more practical city car though it might cost more to run (fuel, service, spares etc.). If you don't need a bigger car, keep saving money to pick up a car as per your needs later on. If you do need a bigger or different car (SUV for example) then sell both unless you need a beater, in which case the Getz is the better option due to it being a safer vehicle than the 800.
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
The automobile industry is going through a lot of changes. There is talk of more hybrids/EVs and less diesels and then we can see how low cost EVs are coming in the market. The next 2-3 years will see fast advancement in tech and new products at lower prices.

Therefore, you should hold on to your Getz. You seem to be happy with it anyway. Build a healthy budget of 15-20 lacs over the next 3 years and, towards the end of 2025, buy a great modern tech car.

As tech enhancement continues (example - faster charging batteries, cheaper batteries, intro of plug in hybrids in India, flex fuel advancements etc), the price of the tech will also reduce. Therefore, there's no saying what amazing cars we will have by the end of 2025.

Wait and watch. Then, scrap the Getz and buy something awesome!

Agree. I personally see EV technology improving exponentially in next 3-4 years. We are not far behind of affordable EVs with practical long range to the tune of ~500 kms and stupendous performance (read sub zero 0-100 kmph timings). And charging infrastructure would reach each and every corner of the country, and we might as well see regulations of mandatory charging points in existing and new apartment buildings at each parking slots, hotels, malls etc.
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
I would say it's time to sell the Getz and move onto something newer and better. It's a 15-year old Hyundai, has 85k kms on odometer and you're already facing some usual age-related problems with the car. There is nothing particularly special about a Getz 1.1 Prime, it would have been a different matter if it was a Palio S10, Swift G13, a Polo 1.6 GT TDI or something niche. Spare parts will be difficult to procure and very expensive in some cases that it is likely to burn a big hole in your pocket considering the poor resale value for Getz in the market.
Thanks for your reply. The spare part problem is what got me thinking in the first place. Yes the resale value is horrendous. I being a 4th owner cannot imagine someone being curious even.
I have driven the Swift G13 and it's cabin seems very small compared to the Getz. I hear palio is even harder to maintain due to low availablity of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Keep it for as long as it lasts then scrap it or sell it for what it fetches. The M800 will be much easier to service so retain that and get another car once the Getz gives up - but a newer one ideally that is still in production so parts are available.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I had two minds regarding renewal of registration once the Getz crossed 15 year mark. I went for it anyway. M800 is a complete gem. Wouldn't dream of letting her go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The major issue you'll definitely face is parts - the ones relating to the car and not specifically the engine. That car hardly sold in India and it'll be a royal pain to obtain parts, even from Hyundai. But the 1.1l engine powered the Santro also and hence will have better support.
Yep the parts are getting scarce now. Folks at Hyundai rolled their eyes the last time I took the car there. I felt their disinterest in their answers. Getz stopped in 2010. It is more like a competition with other owners now when it comes to spare parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My take - sell both and get a used car. The 800 isnt safe, though easy to maintain. The Getz is old, and long out of production. Would be better to have a newer and more reliable car.
I got married recently and the wife is against used cars (parents aren't far off though). Getting a used one means I spend more effort in convincing them than I do while buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Regarding Getz, it is definitely a car to let go. Nothing special about this variant/model you have. Getz CRDi was a pocket rocket in terms of performance. And Getz 1.3 was a better car than this 1.1.
Thanks for your reply.

It was in shambles till 2 months ago. I decided to give her a makeover for her 25th birthday. I am thinking of keeping it for another round of FC validity and then say goodbye.

The Getz is serving me pretty well. I have no problem with it's performance. I have reached 160kmph and the car didn't even stutter. Handling is godsend.
Out of the cars you've mentioned, only Seltos and City are in production. City makes most sense to me given my requirements.

I'll take the Getz to a good service centre and then decide.

Note from Support: Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd January 2023 at 19:11. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 23rd January 2023, 19:01   #14
BHPian

i would recommend you to retain the Getz. Out of my experience in owning a Getz (CRDI) since 2008, i haven't incurred any major expenditure towards maintenance. Hyundai services have been doing a great job with regard to periodic maintenance so far and its a fun to drive car and i still own it

As you said that you enjoy driving car and the usage seem to be low, its is better to retain this car rather investing a huge amount in the purchase of a new car
RiderS is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2023, 20:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

@SuperV, Please retain your car for some more time, maintaining your old car will not be as expensive as buying a new car. IMO it is the hybrid cars that will sustain in India in the long run and not EVs as perceived by the experts.

Last edited by deehunk : 23rd January 2023 at 20:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks