Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2023, 07:59   #16
KPR
BANNED

Re: A fun-to-drive pre-owned car for an enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
How is the support (read: sourcing spares) for the Italians? As much as I love to recommend, I'm too skeptical..
We own two italians at home. No problem with service or spares. I'm into 8th year and 1.15 Lakh km in my Punto with no issue of spares since Fiat shut shop in 2019. But as a safer choice look no beyond 3rd gen Honda city.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:49   #17
BHPian

All 3 options listed by you are great.
My first choice would the Polo, followed by the Figo and then the Swift.

You could also look for a Punto (non-Abarth). If you're willing to forego the criteria of 2011-14 vintage, then the Abarth is also an option.

Even the Brio is a good, fun first car.

Happy shopping!

Do post what your friend ends up buying!
Old 18th March 2023, 12:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
Hey there fellow BHPians! I'm posting this on behalf of my friend, who is also a BHPian (but rarely visits). So he's looking to get his first four wheeled companion. He is interested in a fun to drive car, and is going the used route to save some pennies (and is dissatisfied by the current offerings). There are only few conditions.

I am in process of selling my Polo 1.6P, if your friend wants the car in Maharashtra, would be more than happy to connect & share further details. The car is Mumbai registered and presently in Mumbai.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th March 2023 at 12:35. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 8th April 2023, 11:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Truly. If hatchback, then the Polo is just perfect with its enthusiast engine options, timeless styling & solid build. 2nd, safer choice = Swift.

If open to others, a late model Honda Civic. Still looks good, very mod friendly, among the best hydraulic steering setups sold in India and a rev-happy engine. These cars go cheap because of poor demand.
I have a similar need but here is the situation:

Need a 2nd car for home so that family can use it. Wife will use it to drop kids at school (4Kms one way) and hence AT required. But would want it to be fun to drive so that I can use it on any Sunday for a quick ride to Ghoti and back maybe.

Cars considered:

Polo GT TSI - Worried about expensive repairs if needed.

Old Civic - Not able to find a good one without a chequered past so far from a direct seller. All belong to dealers and a quick check at Honda has revealed ODO tampering and other common issues.

City AT 3rd Gen - Looking for one but similar situation as Civic (though with a little more availability). This car I believe will be better than Civic from utility perspective.

Aspire AT - Drove one but somehow did not like the experience. Can felt very cramped inside and space was lacking even at back. Car response was very linear.

Corola Altis AT - The car is perhaps not so fun to drive but otherwise every other aspect was just perfect. Ergonomics for my 6'2" frame, build quality, space, features ( important ones), boot, etc. Budget is the only blocker here.

Ignoring hatchbacks (Ritz, Santro, Tiago, etc) for lack of utility and boring drives.

Do you have amy other recommendations?

Looking for Petrol only.
Old 8th April 2023, 13:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

If it is your friend's first car and that too a used one, I would say stick with a made in India, normally aspirated petrol for minimal part estimate scares.

Go for an SX4 ZXi car was one of the best built ones to be made in India and unlike NA petrol offerings from other companies, the Suzuki M16 unit has good midrange grunt and feels strong throughout the rev range (V-Tecs need to be revved out, VAG 1.6 MPis just dont feel as rev happy). The car comes with a good chassis, great brakes and 16 inch wheels with loads of mod potential. If your friend is serious about modifying his car, he can even get it turbo charged all for more or less around his budget of 5 lacs.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th April 2023 at 13:17.

Most Viewed