View Poll Results: Your choice?
1.2L NA Petrol + 5-speed MT 25 8.31%
1.2L NA Petrol + 5-speed AMT 23 7.64%
1.0L Turbo Petrol + 5-speed MT 51 16.94%
1.0L Turbo Petrol + 6-speed AT 202 67.11%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2023, 13:30   #16

Re: 2023 Maruti Fronx | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?

The 1.0L Boosterjet was announced to be heavily localised by Mr. CV Raman, CTO. Still they seem to charge a premium of 1L over the equivalent 1.2L engine option in MT variants (Read Delta+).

Fronx Delta+ 1.2L 5MT - Rs. 8,72,500/- Ex.showroom
Fronx Delta+ 1.0L 5MT - Rs. 9,72,500/- Ex.showroom

Baleno RS was heavily discounted with 1.0L engine before it got discontinued, I feel the premium charged for 1.0L Boosterjet is too high.

Also, the flat rate of Rs. 1,50,000/- Ex.showroom for 6 speed TC is baffling. Given that there should be no Comp Cess at 20% for Fronx compared to Brezza with 1.5L engine, the benefit is absorbed by Maruti themselves.

My preference is with 1.2L variants MT or AMT based on preference just based on pricing.
Old 18th May 2023, 15:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Toyota's greed seems to have rubbed off on Maruti, by virtue of its association with Toyota. How else would one explain ridiculous pricing of Fronx 1.0 turbo AT Alpha? If I were fond of turbo petrols, which I am not, I would close my eyes and buy Magnite/Kiger 1.0 L turbo CVT. Both of these and Fronx are 1 litre 3-pot turbos but the duo cost significantly less and will leave Fronx behind in drag race. I have seen Magnite/Kiger CVTs leave even Sonet/Venue DCTs behind in 0 to 100. One can see shoot-outs on youtube. I agree, on dealer network and after sales, Maruti is the best in country. BTW, I saw reviews of Fronx on youtube, and two reviewers said 6-speed AT behaves like AMT. Another said the car's performance was not enthusiastic, like other turbo 1 litres.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 16:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I test drove the Fronx 1.0 AT.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy any version of the fronx as I did not like anything about the car.

Given the choice, I would pick the 1.0 MT. The TC was lethargic and is tolerable only in manual mode and with paddle shifters. The 1.0L turbo isnt any special either. At 16L on road price, I felt it is terribly overpriced.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 17:01   #19
BHPian

If it has to be a Maruti then for me it has to be simplest option:

I don't need AMT
I don't want Turbo petrol

So its 1.2NA MT.
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 20:54   #20
BHPian

I don't want to hijack this thread but since nearly 70% votes are in favour of 1.0 L turbo AT at the time of this writing, let me ask this question. Would you buy Fronx 1.0 L turbo AT at nearly 15L on road or would you rather go for Grand Vitara mild hybrid delta or zeta variant with 1.5 NA engine with 100hp and 130+torque and visibly better looks, space and ground clearance for almost same amount of money.
Carpainter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 21:52   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread but since nearly 70% votes are in favour of 1.0 L turbo AT at the time of this writing, let me ask this question. Would you buy Fronx 1.0 L turbo AT at nearly 15L on road or would you rather go for Grand Vitara mild hybrid delta or zeta variant with 1.5 NA engine with 100hp and 130+torque and visibly better looks, space and ground clearance for almost same amount of money.
Thanks. Also Brezza ZXI AT. Is there any sense to buy Fronx AT over Brezza ZXI AT?
Anxiousblock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 22:18   #22
BHPian

I voted for the 1.2L NA Petrol (4 Cylinders) + 5-speed AMT instead of the 1.0 turbo (3 cylinders) due to the following reasons:
  1. Personal Experience: I had the opportunity to test the 1.0 Turbo AT in a hilly area and observed that it struggled when the AC was at 22 degrees Celsius.
  2. Cost: The 1.2L NA Petrol + 5-speed AMT variant is cheap. (Compare Delpa+ 1.2L NA AMT with Delta+ 1.0L Turbo MT.
  3. Fuel Efficiency: The 1.2L NA petrol engine offers better fuel efficiency.
  4. Durability and Longevity: NA petrol engines are generally known for their robustness and long-term reliability. They often require less maintenance and have fewer complex components than turbocharged engines, which can translate to lower repair costs and a longer lifespan.

Few more observations:

i) Rear AC is a significant omission in a car costing over 10 lakhs.
    ii) I Have tested Wireless Apple car play more than 20 times in the Maruti Fronx and it connects automatically every time without any delay or lag. Whereas in my Mahindra Xuv700 apple carplay connects 2/10 times that too if you are lucky enough.
    iii) Height Adjustable Driver Seat, Front Center Armrest, and Telescopic Steering are only available in the Alpha and Zeta trims. If you want the 1.2 AMT, you will miss out on these features as the Delta+ trim is the top model available with AMT(NA 1.2L Engine).

I have booked the Delta Plus AMT after the test drive and currently awaiting delivery.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 18th May 2023 at 22:23. Reason: added few more lines.
rpmmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 07:06   #23
BHPian

With their pricing, Maruti have made it a hard choice to go for the 1.0 Turbo model. Additionally, it appears they have been very conservative in terms of the power specs for a turbo. There are other 1.0 3 pot turbos available ( German twins, Hyundai, Renault) and all of them have much better specs. Test drives also suggest the 1.0 engine is not as enthusiastic as one would expect.
The 1.2 L standard NA engine is the more reliable, efficient and trusted. However it also lacks the punch expected of a CSUV/ crossover. More importantly the 1.2 NA options lack the car features that are pretty much standard in today's generation ( Rear ac vents, height adjustable driver seats etc.)
Given these considerations, both combinations of Fronx seems like a compromise - neither here nor there. The only thing Fronx excels is the design and form factor - but I am sure others would catch up soon.
Ridiculous fact : Fronx AT top model is more expensive than Ciaz Top model. Can you believe it ?
Old 19th May 2023, 07:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Would you buy Fronx 1.0 L turbo AT at nearly 15L on road or would you rather go for Grand Vitara mild hybrid delta or zeta variant with 1.5 NA engine with 100hp and 130+torque and visibly better looks, space and ground clearance for almost same amount of money.
It's Grand Vitara anyday over the puny Baleno cross, sorry Fronx for me.

The GV Delta AT is just 40k more expensive than Fronx Alpha in my city.

Though GV Delta misses few niceties, more space and VFM makes it easy to choose over Fronx.

If Jimny pricing disappoints just like Fronx's, GV Delta AT it is for me.

Drive Safe.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 08:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

If I have to buy a Fronx, it will never be the 1.0 turbo under any circumstances. I would rather buy the Ciaz eyes closed. It will offer me much more space, a bigger 1.5NA engine and save me money too. Ciaz Zeta is loaded with all essential features so I wont miss anything to be honest.

Hence, voted for 1.2NA Fronx with 5AMT (my next one would preferably be an automatic or AMT).
Old 19th May 2023, 09:58   #26
BHPian

Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong. When the Fronx was announced, I thought it was going to be in competition with Tata Punch. But the pricing is on par with Nexon. Even the base variant is 9lacs in Hyderabad which is almost the Nexon's price. Does it really makes sens to buy a Fronx? I mean the design is great, but even in Maruti's stable, the Brezza and base variants of Vitara makes more sense. Don't get ne wrong, the 1.2 is a gem of an engine and the car is a looker for sure, but underneath all that, its just a Baleno right? The top variant should've costed not more than 12-13 lacs IMHO.
Old 19th May 2023, 16:11   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighted06 View Post
Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong. When the Fronx was announced, I thought it was going to be in competition with Tata Punch. But the pricing is on par with Nexon. Even the base variant is 9lacs in Hyderabad which is almost the Nexon's price. Does it really makes sens to buy a Fronx? I mean the design is great, but even in Maruti's stable, the Brezza and base variants of Vitara makes more sense. Don't get ne wrong, the 1.2 is a gem of an engine and the car is a looker for sure, but underneath all that, its just a Baleno right? The top variant should've costed not more than 12-13 lacs IMHO.
The Fronx was never intended as competition to the Punch, it was intended as a sub 4 metre SUV for the Nexa lineup and was never meant to be "cheap" in the first place, So the pricing is kept at par with other sub 4 metre SUV rivals. The Nexon is a much better VFM than the Fronx in almost every variant, the only area where the Fronx may have an advantage is the Torque Converter AT unit over the AMT in the top-spec automatic variants.

So in all cases, the Fronx isn't a VFM car in any way and I guess Maruti never intended their recent launches to be that way either.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 11:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Toyota's greed seems to have rubbed off on Maruti, by virtue of its association with Toyota. How else would one explain ridiculous pricing of Fronx 1.0 turbo AT Alpha? If I were fond of turbo petrols, which I am not, I would close my eyes and buy Magnite/Kiger 1.0 L turbo CVT. Both of these and Fronx are 1 litre 3-pot turbos but the duo cost significantly less and will leave Fronx behind in drag race. I have seen Magnite/Kiger CVTs leave even Sonet/Venue DCTs behind in 0 to 100. One can see shoot-outs on Youtube. I agree, on dealer network and after sales, Maruti is the best in country. BTW, I saw reviews of Fronx on Youtube, and two reviewers said 6-speed AT behaves like AMT. Another said the car's performance was not enthusiastic, like other turbo 1 litres.
Toyota could have given their direct shift CVT to Maruti but I guess they are probably reserving that to their own economy vehicles.

When Kinetic Honda was new, it left many blinged 2 wheelers in the dust simply because there was no gear, it could just pull away without any shifts. But it was also not known to be robust or frugal - you could draw a parallel with Magnite \ Kiger here.

The 6 AT will certainly cost a lot of money to source, perhaps more than the engine itself. I am not saying that Fronx here benefits from an expensive traditional AT by any means other than being a smooth gearbox, definitely will last longer and most likely offer better fuel efficiency than CVT.

Fronx deserves a second look, perhaps remove the badge from the back side, what a stupid name.
Old 21st November 2023, 10:57   #29
BHPian

Indeed, the imported 6AT is sophisticated device. Its size is almost same as the engine itself!

Takes 5.8L of AT gear oil.

Very good transmission!
Old 26th November 2023, 13:42   #30
BHPian

I am looking forward to Fronx 1.0 or i20 1.0 N, need opinions, both AT/MT, as I have not driven all combos.

Requirement is for occasional enthusiastic driving, not track racing.

Ignore the budget part. Ignore alternatives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks