Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 21:55   #1
BHPian

A car in 5L budget.

Hi,
i had been doing a lot of research and with every passig day, the confusion in my life is only going upwards.

My Requirements:
1. Budget max 5.2L(including Music system,autocop,seat covers and other basic accessories).
2. Driving: Say around 700kms per month in city and 1 weekend trip(250+) kms per month.
3. Rear seating comfort is of importance as weekend trips will be with 3-4 friends.

My initial shortlists were Swift LXI,UVA LS,Xeta GXG

Swift is out as rear seat leg room is bad.
so the choices are Xeta GXG or UVA.

I want to buy xeta for 3.5L and spend abt 50-70k on accessories and make it real posh...
but somewhere down there in my heart a voice says "UVA".

So now really confused
I am planning to make my purchase in oct end, so i guess Skoda Fabia will alo be out by then...to add to my confusion.

Also does anyone have any info abt any new launches that would be worth waiting for?

I would really appriciate any help in reducing my confusions.

Thanks.
mohit
Old 21st July 2007, 22:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go with the UVa. It would be a little more peace of mind with the 3 year warranty. The Indica is not bad but you would have to deal with the irritating quality issues that come with TATA cars. The U-va should really serve the purpose for you at this price.

In case you are lookin for other options too and If you dont mind an average FE of above 10km/l in city and 15 on highways check out the Palio Stile 1.6. Its a good car to drive. But first ensure that the service cente at your place is doing a good job. If you really want to spend on accesories try the Stile 1.1. Not sure if you would enjoy its power though Personally i feel It would be better than the xeta.

Cheers and all the best.
Old 22nd July 2007, 03:16   #3
BHPian

If you can put up with the dull interiors, than UVA is a good car. Have a look at GETZ prime too, 1.1 L engine falls within your budget. Its underpwered alright but good enough for city use and occasional long drives.
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amohit,
have you test driven these cars. If not please do so as it will help you arrive at a decision. Each of these cars have their plus points, but what matters is that which of these is important to you. Although you have not indicated a preference for a diesel you can try the Indica Turbo as well as it has good torque to play with and will be well within your budget.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:08   #5

With almost the same requirements in terms of budget, needs and usage, I have booked Getz 1.3 GLS.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would say include the Hyundai Getz 1.1 and 1.3, Chevrolet Spark, Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 and 1.6 in your shortlist too. Aren't the Ford Ikon, Tata Indigo and Renault Logan in that price range too?
Old 23rd July 2007, 09:43   #7
BHPian

ok...i forgot to mention 2 things...i am 6ft heavy built.
so i guess, tht will make spark quite uncomfortable.
Also Icon, Indigo, logon will cost more than 5L onroad.

I have not test driven any cars yet....and thats another problem altogather...since this is going to be my first car, and the only cars i have ever driven before are Fiat padmini and Alto...so i am not sure, how will I be evaluating the cars.
I am not sure what comprises "drive quality" or seating comfort. how do i determine in 15-20 mins that a perticular car will provide gud seating comfort, if sat into for 2 hrs?
Is there any discussion related to all this...or else could someone please tell me how to and what to evaluate qualitative parameters of a car when TDing
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

The Getz 1.3 is adequately powered and extremely comfortable for tall drivers(eg me).
So I guess you can add Getz 1.3 also to your list.
UVA and Getz will cost similar on road I presume.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:01   #9
BHPian

i was not sure about getz...so now getz also gets added to the list!
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:15   #10
BHPian

Ikon may come close to 5.5L on road Blore, but FE is major concern (not sure about maintenance).

Will Accent be beyond 5L? While searching for my car, I remembered Accent, Indigo, Esteem, were of similar range.

Small cars won't give you enough leg space compared to entry sedans.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Getz/Indica etc., have more interior space than the Accent or Esteem.
Accent cannot seat a six footer on the back seat if there is a reasonably tall driver, ditto for Esteem.
Not sure about Ikon Flair though.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would vote for Getz 1.3 even though I dont like Hyundai cars personally. Getz is an excellent car in this category.

IF you need more space then look at UV-A. The UV-A I saw at the dealership some time ago was not well built.

Get the 1.3 basic getz and soup it up.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Go in for the Getz 1.1L or the 1.3L,i have had a TD of both and the car rocks,just a personal opinion no offence:its better than UVA in space/driving comfort and the shifting of the gears rock and cheaper also
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:44   #14
BHPian

If fuel efficiency of around 9kmpl in the city is acceptable, then the Palio 1.6 would be an excellent choice - spacious enough for five adults, good a/c, excellent highway manners, ... team bhp's favourite car, or at least so it seems.
Old 24th July 2007, 10:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Getz/Indica etc., have more interior space than the Accent or Esteem.
Accent cannot seat a six footer on the back seat if there is a reasonably tall driver, ditto for Esteem.
Not sure about Ikon Flair though.
The Flair seems more spacious than both the Accent and the Esteem at the rear. Although how comfortable a 6 footer at the back would be i am not sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks