Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 17:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I would vote for the Spark. Its wasy to drive. Its got good space. Its gives a good ride comfort. And it comes wiht a 3 year warranty at the price.

Followed by the SAntro only in case you dont have a service centre for spark in your town.
@ Gemi I didnt recommend the Spark as the torque peaks a little too high whcih would require you to be good at shifting gears in the city.. whereas the Palio / Santro peak at 3000 odd rpm..

Again since Spark is lighter its not much of a problem and very very easy to drive and park.

And it would be slightly more than 4 Lacs the one with A/C, P/S and front power windows.
Old 25th July 2007, 01:00   #17
BHPian

@ nimz : SPARK comes with linear transmission, so torque peaking at higher RPM should not be an issue i guess. Please correct me if i am wrong !!
Old 25th July 2007, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
@ nimz : SPARK comes with linear transmission, so torque peaking at higher RPM should not be an issue i guess. Please correct me if i am wrong !!
linear transmission?? Am not clear about that..

But there is a linear power delivery if thats what you meant.. The characterestics of any Torque vs rpm curve is that it is linear till the max torque after which it drops.. so some drop suddenly.. some drop gracefully (the better engines). SInce Spark peaks at a higher rpm there is a linear delivery till 4500 rpm unlike other cars which peak early.. so they would have linear delivery till 3000 odd rpm after which it wouldnt be linear anymore..

But Spark has a slighly higher max torque for its weight so you would get decent torque at low rpms..and I have not faced any such issues.. I crawl in traffic in 2nd gear..with my feet playing only with the brake and clutch pedals..and car moves beautifully.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Of all the cars under 4L, I have seen a torque versus rpm plot only for the WagonR in the brochure (perhaps also on the website). They claim that the curve is flat, meaning that at all practical values of rpm the car has approximately the same pulling power.
Usually the value of torque written in the technical specification is the peak torque at a value of the rpm. At other values of the rpm the torque is lower, at times considerably lower unless the torque vs. rpm plot is flat.
For sane city driving we are talking about rpms of 1000 to 2000 (hope I am right here, I haven't had a car for a while which has a tacho). The important question is at these rpms how much torque does one get. If one drives a Santro one feels that the car is quite responsive in its class so that one can conclude that while it may not have a flat torque vs. rpm plot, under 2000 rpm it still delivers very good pulling. I felt the same goes (not as much perhaps as the Santro's) also for the stile 1.1. Are these plots provided by the companys?
Old 26th July 2007, 00:51   #20
BHPian

so strider whats it going to be?

have you test drived the cars already
get back to us with details!

cheers
Old 26th July 2007, 01:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
linear transmission?? Am not clear about that..

But there is a linear power delivery if thats what you meant..

ya, that was what i meant .
Old 26th July 2007, 16:51   #22

Hi Strider:

Why don't you look at the AX version of Wagon-R. The sticky gear will not be an issue and your mom will just love the automatic transmission in the Hyd city traffic.
Old 26th July 2007, 20:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Of all the cars under 4L, I have seen a torque versus rpm plot only for the WagonR in the brochure (perhaps also on the website). They claim that the curve is flat, meaning that at all practical values of rpm the car has approximately the same pulling power.
Torque has to start from zero at Zero rpm. So till the torque reaches its max it will be more or less linear.

After that if will be flat (for an ideal engine).

Am not too sure about the Wagon R though...

But a flat curve.. meaning that peak torque is reached at a much lower RPM will ensure you have the same pulling power as you raise the engine rpm which makes it un-exciting to drive.

A linear curve and max torque at a higher rpm makes it nice to drive as the car accelerates steadily as you rev since the torque increases linearly with rpm. This was the case with the old Zen and is the case with Sparky and I can vouch for that
Old 26th July 2007, 21:13   #24
BHPian

Hi All,

The response has been great, thanks a lot.
Looks like its a clash between the Palio 1.1, Spark and the Santro. I got my Mom to test drive all of these, here feedback:

Palio: Good gearshift, good driving position.
Spark: Great engine (didn't know whether it was turned on, very smooth), nice looking
Santro: Feels dark inside, but nice driving position, good seats and good otherwise.

Now my mother doesn't understand low end torque or other auto stuff, so based on my own knowledge, I've narrowed down to the Santro for the following reasons:

- Holds its value better than the Palio
- Lower weight + Good low end torque + good gearbox = easy driving, period.

As a family car, the Palio is better but for one person to move around, I believe the Santro is a better all rounder.

Now the question is which bank do I go and ask a loan for! []

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll keep team bhp posted about the purchase.

~Strider
Old 26th July 2007, 21:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I cannot advice you on which car is suitable for you, but I am wondering if you have a misconception about automatic tranny. The D2, D1 and L are lower gears to which you can restrict your transmission. For city and freeway driving you should always leave the gear selector on 'D' which will change gears from 1 - 2 -3 -4 and back (assuming it is a 4 speed).

When in a climb or climbing down a hill you may need to shift to lower gears to have more control. In that case leave the car on D2 or D1 which would not let the tranny shift beyond 3rd and 2nd gears respectively. For example, in a hill descent it is advisable to have the car in 1st or 2nd gear so that it doesn't 'run-away' so to speak. In that case you can put the gear lever in L and car will never go beyond first gear.

You may already know this, but just wanted to clarify in case you didn't if it helps you chosing an automatic. It really makes life easy for the women, especially those who use cars as only a means of transport.
Well, there's a lot of information in that which I was unaware of so thanks. But as far as the Santro Automatic is concerned, I've only seen the car once and it DOES NOT HAVE A 'D' POSITION. I guess someone with experience will have to confirm this detail. I only remember seeing D1, D2, P, N, R & L.

And yes, I asked for the Wagon R automatic but was advised against it by the dealer himself - this was during the Estilo test drive.

~Strider
Old 26th July 2007, 22:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Id go in for Santro if I were you.

Its got one of the smoothest gearshifts.
Extremely easy to drive.
High Seating position
Easy to get in and out
Good Visibility
24 x 7 Emergency breakdown service
Great A.S.S. and service network
Pretty good quality

Try and get the one with ABS if Hyundai is still selling it.

The only thing against the Santro is that the ride in the rear is slightly jumpy.
Yes, the jumpy rear is an issue, but this car would be for my Mom to drive. Should we ever decide to go in for a Driver, we'll change the car as well - which is why retaining value becomes an important criterion for selection.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 27th July 2007, 11:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi All,

The response has been great, thanks a lot.
Looks like its a clash between the Palio 1.1, Spark and the Santro. I got my Mom to test drive all of these, here feedback:

Palio: Good gearshift, good driving position.
Spark: Great engine (didn't know whether it was turned on, very smooth), nice looking
Santro: Feels dark inside, but nice driving position, good seats and good otherwise.

Now my mother doesn't understand low end torque or other auto stuff, so based on my own knowledge, I've narrowed down to the Santro for the following reasons:

- Holds its value better than the Palio
- Lower weight + Good low end torque + good gearbox = easy driving, period.

As a family car, the Palio is better but for one person to move around, I believe the Santro is a better all rounder.

Now the question is which bank do I go and ask a loan for! []

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll keep team bhp posted about the purchase.

~Strider
Congrats Strider on your choice.

Remember seeing an ad where the santro was being given at 1% interest. Do check that out..

Nimz
Old 27th July 2007, 11:51   #28
BHPian

@Strider: we're getting very good discounts in bangy for the santro. Lots of freebies as well. Please bargain with more than one dealer and get the best deals out.

one more advantage with hyundai cars is you get mind blowing colours. I had seen one new cobalt blue santro in the showroom. best of luck strider!
Old 27th July 2007, 16:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Santro @ 1% Interest PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Congrats Strider on your choice.

Remember seeing an ad where the santro was being given at 1% interest. Do check that out..

Nimz
Santro with 1% interest rate is for base model [No AC, no PS and PW]
Tenure will be 1 year and EMI will be 22K.
Old 6th August 2007, 18:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
i would suggest the santro for your mom she will love the drive, dont forget to give her good tyres as well.
Hi Xinome,

Can you please elaborate that a little? I've no idea which company tyres are good. Can we request the dealer to put tyres of our choice on the car?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed