Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Almost finalised on the top end Santro....but confused

Am a newbie to this forum and after lots of research I have zeroed in for the top end Santro as my first car, but after reading the reports of the current model of Santro being discontinued and replaced with a newer model code-named "PA" by this year end,I am a bit hesitant to go in for the current model and would as well wait for another 3/4 months :-( and the reasons are :

1) Would be upgrading to a bigger hatch in 3 years and hence considering the re-sale value.
2) Though I would be one driving the car, I really hate the bumpy ride for the rear seat passengers.

So when can one expect the launch the "new Santro"?

All help would be appreciated - Thanks
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

While there's a lot of heresay, nothing concrete seems to have been recorded abt the intended launch of the Pa or the exact segment it may be in directly or as a replacement.

I dont really have any thoughts abt your decision to buy a Santro. However if you'd like to reconsider, the new Chevy Spark is quite appealing all-around
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:29   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

If you have MADE up your mind for a top end santro do look at the limited edition model too.
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:46   #4
BHPian

'PA' is not replacing SANTRO. It comes with a 1.2L engine and is to be positioned between SANTRO and GETZ. SANTRO would get a diesel varient as well, but dont know much about the present XING's future.

If you are happy with top end 'XO', do go ahead. Else consider the CHEVY SPARK top end 'LT'. It costs the same, looks better,rides better and will also have a better resale value after 3 years.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:43   #5
BHPian

the santro is a good car. if you plan to sell it off in 3 years i think santro will fetch you a good price although a wagor r would fetch you a higher price.

chevrolet spark is a new car. so nothing can be said about it's reliabilty or
resale value. if you like the santro in all aspects then i would recommend you to go in for the santro.

r u considering buying a second hand car?
Old 24th July 2007, 10:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

I was speaking to someone in Hyundai and he confirmed that PA will not replace the Santro ala Estilo and WagonR, but with a different engine configuration.

But I am sure that the Xing will undergo some changes at least. So if it is possible, why dont you wait for the quarter end ? Things might be more clear and you may get a very good deal too
Old 24th July 2007, 11:30   #7
BHPian

@theMAG ,
Thanks for your recommendation, I did have a look at spark this weekend and found that it is a little less spacious than Santro. Also I a bit worried abt the A.S.S and also since there aren't any ownership report, though the cost of the spares is appealing. The showroom experince was not good though, I have been to Shreyans at shivajinagar Pune and had to wait for around 30min for the sales guy to attend me even though there wasn't any other customer.
Currently the Spark is readily available in Pune and that with a discount of 8k.

@aZa
haven't head about the special edition Santro will have a look at the website.

@vishnuvijay,
Reliability, resale and A.S.S are the main reason I am not considering the Spark now. No, I am not interested in a second hand car.

@Eddy,
The Hindu once quoted October as the launch date for PA.So I think the wait would be worth else the good old Santro is there.
Old 24th July 2007, 12:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Santro will always get you good resale. Goodwill created by a company matters a lot. So you don't have to worry on that front.
Hyundai will retain the santro when they get out Pa.
Something like the WagonR/Zen Estilo combo.
Similar cars, similar engine specs but different shape.
Old 24th July 2007, 13:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead with the purchase. Santro has one of the best resale values in the market.

Most Viewed