Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 08:39   #1
BHPian

Waiting for your inputs.....Options around 4 lacs?

My parents are going to buy a car and they have a budget at around 4 lakhs. We have shorlisted four cars :-

1) Spark LT
2) Getz Prime 1.1 GLE
3) Aveo U-VA 1.2
4) Swift LXi

Initially we were going for the Spark LT but my parents complained for the lack of space. We will be using the car mostly in the city. I will drive the car as soon as I have finished my driving lessons. After sales service should be good than a FIAT atleast. We will travel like 500 kms a month. Well, the this car will be father's first and last car and so we are keeping it forever. So guys, what do you say?
Old 27th July 2007, 09:27   #2
BANNED

Soumya,

Increase your budget and go for Swift Lxi.. Its best and its maruti product hassle free !

Trust me you will be happiest person

Cheers !
Jitendra
Old 27th July 2007, 09:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

500 kms a month and that too only city travel..

i feel spark should be a good deal...( i dont know about GM service in kolkata) but in bangalore, i see alot of GM cars.

also, any reason why you have dropped good old santro?

Swift LXI doesnt have power windows and many more features, so i feel if you want to buy a swift, you should atleast stretch till VXI. else no point in spending so much for a car with just a PS.

i have not seen many Aveo U-VA in bangalore, but i feel it will not come for 4 lakhs.

you say you want to keep the car forever. so why not Swift VXI ?
Old 27th July 2007, 09:50   #4
BHPian

Among the four cars you have listed, I think the Swift makes more sense.

Hellcat
Old 27th July 2007, 10:21   #5
BHPian

i have left santro out because i don't like it's looks and every tom,dick and harry has that. well, the base model of u-va is 3,99,000. The Swift VXI is out of my budget I guess. If they are giving 25-30,000 discount, maybe I could buy it. But the thing is my parents want SPACE.
Old 27th July 2007, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Swift Lxi is about 4.6 and Vxi is about 4.85 in bangy
The Vxi has a lot of features packed in it for 25K more. Dont try to save on 25K - Go for the Vxi.
Central Locking, Wheel caps, Black paint A pillar, Power windows, Left side OVRM etc.

Only thing is in Bangy, Vxi had 1.5 month waiting. Please check with the availability.

I own the UVA, in case you need any info related to this vehicle, pls feel free to PM me

Last edited by EatMyDust : 27th July 2007 at 10:27.
Old 27th July 2007, 10:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

hmmm. So you need to keep the car Forever.
What you need is a reliable, fuel efficient car having good After sales, easy availability and cheap cost of spare parts.
So i suggest you go for a Maruti. In B+ segment, you have the Swift. Entry level C, you have the Esteem. In A+/B segment, you have the Alto, Estilo and the WagonR.
So take your pick.

Last edited by DCEite : 27th July 2007 at 10:52.
Old 27th July 2007, 11:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumya View Post
i have left santro out because i don't like it's looks and every tom,dick and harry has that. well, the base model of u-va is 3,99,000. The Swift VXI is out of my budget I guess. If they are giving 25-30,000 discount, maybe I could buy it. But the thing is my parents want SPACE.
Chevy U-VA fits your bill and is a nice Car too! Go for it!
Old 27th July 2007, 11:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

A toss up between the U-VA and the Swift,but yes if you plan to keep the car forever then try to stick to maruti because they are traditionally known to keep the same products in their line-up for almost an eternity.
Old 27th July 2007, 11:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ soumya - For ease of service in Calcutta, Maruti is the best (obviously) followed by Hyundai. I personally don't have any experience with GM A.S.S, but have heard that they are okay. The Swift is the most fun to drive, while the two Koreans are more of a practical choice.
Old 27th July 2007, 11:30   #11
BHPian

Swift makes more sense as the car is to be retained for lifetime. but beyond this parameter, then the U-VA can also be considered as an option
Old 27th July 2007, 11:41   #12
BHPian

@soumya: I underwent the same conphusion as you

Here's some comparision between the SWIFT and UVA

UVA Base and SWIFT Lxi are almost similar in features. Price diff in bangy is 8K.
UVA Base is 4.63 Swift Lxi is 4.55

But as you go higher the price diff increases a lot.

UVA LS is 5.03 SWIFT Vxi is 4.88

UVA LT is 5.6 SWIFT Zxi (not sure now).

So, UVA is more expensive than the SWIFT, only that the pinch is not so huge in the low end variants.
Back seat comfort and suspensions are better in UVA.
Driving pleasure is more in SWIFT and visibility in SWIFT is more.
Boots are equally small ( or big)
FE: SWIFT is marginally better than UVA

Just an after thought: Since you plan to keep the car forever (lol), please try to get in as many features as possible. So that you dont feel your car's out-dated and obsolete within 4-5 years.

Just TD both cars and u should be able to decide. TD-ing is the litmus test to car buying
Old 27th July 2007, 11:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumya View Post
My parents are going to buy a car and they have a budget at around 4 lakhs. We have shorlisted four cars :-

1) Spark LT
2) Getz Prime 1.1 GLE
3) Aveo U-VA 1.2
4) Swift LXi

Initially we were going for the Spark LT but my parents complained for the lack of space. We will be using the car mostly in the city. I will drive the car as soon as I have finished my driving lessons. After sales service should be good than a FIAT atleast. We will travel like 500 kms a month. Well, the this car will be father's first and last car and so we are keeping it forever. So guys, what do you say?
I take it that you look for ease of driving in the city, good A.S.S and not too keen on re-sale.

And how many are there in the family?? More than 4? And did you all sit in the Spark and see? The Spark looks small from outside but a bit of the boot space has been sacrificed to give you good leg space albeit not as spacious as the UVA. Do check it out personally, take a TD and then discard it from your choice.

UVA's base version's ex-showroom price is 4 Lakhs as you point out. Its OTR in Bangalore is 4.6 odd. Spark LT comes at around 4.5 odd. You might get a max of 10K as discounts..

Swift VXI/LXI - EMD has given the OTR in Bangy.

Dont make the mistake of going by ex- showroom prices.

nimz
Old 27th July 2007, 12:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
Just an after thought: Since you plan to keep the car forever (lol), please try to get in as many features as possible. So that you dont feel your car's out-dated and obsolete within 4-5 years.
car buying
Thats one way to look at things. Or, if he gets the lower spec, he can keep on adding stuff at regular intervals and thus have a new toy with every upgrade.
Old 27th July 2007, 12:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

if you plan to keep the car for a long time go for any maruti car

i would suggest the vxi over the lxi because the price different isn't much

other option could be tata indica xeta or the palio stile but you said the you want better A.S.S than fiat
Closed Thread

Most Viewed