Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2007, 20:59   #1

Getz/Swift/palio

Hi Everyone, I earnestly look forward to some good advice since I am very confused about what car to buy. I currently have a reliable maruti800 and have decided to upgrade. My requirements are
1. City driving of 15-20 KMS a day
2. Once in two months highway driving
3. Looking for a FE of 12-13 in the city
4. Reliable car
5. Max budget of 5.5 Lakhs for on road price

The only thing that seemed to fit my budget was Swift VXi with ABS and tyres of ZXi since the original VXi tyres look small for the swift.

My friends have been asking me to consider the GETZ and Palio. I don't think the GETZ comes with ABS and moreover some people were complaining about Hyundai service. Being in Bangalore I am so used to service by Girimaji which is very good.

Palio, service, mileage and resale and cost of spare parts is of concern
GETZ, mileage is of concern and no ABS.

What would you guys recommend?
Old 4th August 2007, 23:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like ABS is a must have for you? If thats the case then it's either Swift or Getz. I think the earlier Getz had an option for ABS though I am not sure if the new Getz Prime has that option.

Which Palio are you considering? At 5.5 lacs, you can buy the Palio Stile 1.6.

Quote:
Palio, service, mileage and resale and cost of spare parts is of concern
I can't comment about Bangalore but in Mumbai, I have never had any issues with Fiat and Tata-Fiat service. Read my latest Tata-Fiat service expereince here.You are right about resale though. Spares of the Palio are reasonably priced.

Do note that Swift spares are actually the costliest among all hatcbacks (Source: AutoCar India)

Last edited by amit : 4th August 2007 at 23:47.
Old 5th August 2007, 00:14   #3
BHPian

I will suggest the Swift, it is the highest selling among the three and for a good reason IMHO

1) Performance - Not far behind Palio 1.6
2) Mileage - Better than the Palio and Getz
3) A.S.S - Better than the Palio and Getz

Only concerns with the Swift are that it is prone to rattles and low end torque is nothing to talk about
Old 5th August 2007, 00:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Getz 1.3 is on the expensive side. And if ABS is a must, leave out the Palio Stile 1.6 too (ABS is not an option).

I suggest you stick to Swift VXi with ABS since you are used to Maruti service.
Old 7th August 2007, 23:09   #5

Over the weekend, I and my friend went info hunting and we spoke to a mechanic in the nearby service station. He said there are two common complaints that they hear from Swift owners. One is rattle and the other is after 15k-20K, he says the front suspension get unmounted. He says this is a very common problem since the build quality is bad. He says, the SX4 will have similar issues because it is built on the Swift platform. This has left me confused.
Any more inputs?
Old 8th August 2007, 00:11   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

and not to forget,there have been a lot of owners complaining that the clutch on the swift wears out by 15k and has to be replaced.even some members on this forum have faced this problem.
if abs is your first priority,then the only options you have are swift vxi with abs,santro,zen estilo.
if you can overlook the abs,then i would suggest that you go for the palio 1.6.the fiat issues have been sorted out and fiat is making a comeback.the palio is a good car.it won meet your expectations for f.e but everywhere else it will more than match up.
to know more,read this monthsbest motoring where they have compared the palio stile 1.6 and swift diesel.
Old 8th August 2007, 01:59   #7
BHPian

go for the swift, dont know about the getz but if you're interested in mileage, stay away from the palio. i never got more than 10 when i had mine. but it was a great car, amazing ride and suspension
Old 8th August 2007, 08:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Swift build quality is not upto the mark, and rattles are there, which should be checked at every service. Haven't heard about suspension problems, and there are guys who treat is as bad as they can. However, some have complained of the clutch wearing out too soon, if driven in the city too much.

However, it is still the best choice in segment with the VFM price tag.

As for Palio, go for 1.6 only. But that wouldn't your mileage requirements. However, Palio 1.6 is another VFM package. (dont take the 1.1, which has similar performance to the M800 you own now)
Old 8th August 2007, 09:33   #9
BHPian

If FE is an important concern then palio 1.6 goes out of the window. Swift seems to be the best choice for you.
Old 8th August 2007, 09:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

rajeev, I would say you should try out the Aveo-Uva with Option Pack. It is a real VFM car with the 3 year/1L km warranty that you get along. THe ride is good enoungh and you also get decent F.R figures. The goodies that you get in the option pack makes the car look really cool. THe car is right within your budget and you could also get some discounts on this. DO have a test drive, i'm sure you wont make a mistake with this one.

On your choices.

1. Swift - Well if you want to go with the majority and have a safe option backed by maruti service centres and good customer care and if you dont mind a bench like cramped back seat at that price point, go for this car. However be really careful witht he electronic power steering. Its too smooth that you tend to oversteer in emegency situations.

2. Palio - Well go for this only of you love a FIAT. The car has ample space and is strongly built. No ABS here. The 1.6 is a performance vehicle and would not match your F.E expectations. You can get around 10 in city with the 1.6. The 1.1 is slightly sluggish but would give you good F.E figures. Just one simple thing here. "Buy a FIAT only if ou Love a FIAT."

3. Getz- I dont think there is ABS offered here. YOu need to check it out. Getz too is a good car for the price. ITs got ample space for a small car. THe service facilities too as good enough.

I would suggest you test drive the U-VA. If you dont like it, test drive the Getz. If you dont like that too, test drive the Swift. If you dont like that too, drive the Palio. And if you dont like that too, wait for some more time. let the Grade Punto come . Anyways, all the best and drive safe.
Old 8th August 2007, 10:44   #11
BHPian

[Getz- I dont think there is ABS offered here. YOu need to check it out. Getz too is a good car for the price. ITs got ample space for a small car. THe service facilities too as good enough.
[/quote]

Getz Prime top version (GLX) has ABS. Please TD all the shorlisted cars and see which one suits you better.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:43   #12
BHPian

Palio depreciates faster than any other car in its segment. One of my colleagues is selling his old car. See below :

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=1]Make: Fiat
Model: 2002 Palio
Version: 1.6 GTX Petrol (Top End Model)
Accessories: Power Steering, Power Windows, Alloy Wheels, All 4 New Tyres, Leather Seats,
Kenwood MP3 player with Aux Input
Color : Sliver
Mileage: 64,000 KM
Expected price: 1,35,000 (Negotiable)
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 8th August 2007, 13:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since you already have a Maruti product, it is better to go in for Swift Vxi.
You might get some good discounts for exchanging your old car.
Also this is the only car that has ABS from your preferences.
Old 8th August 2007, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Getz Prime GLX with ABS - Costs around 5.2 ex showroom (Bangalore). I think you must go in for this.
Old 8th August 2007, 18:02   #15
BHPian

Rajeev, I would say test drive the Getz (1.3 L versions) before you make a decision. I own a 2006 model getz and it gives me consistently a mileage of 11 (with 100% AC) on the hosur road.(I get around 11.5 mileage in my roomies swift on the same road when i drive so i dont think much difference there) Getz is very solidly built and even after a year I have no rattles in my car. Service has never been a issue with Trident. After every service the car feels as if i have just taken the delivery :-).
As you are considering swift and the F.E is important then do have a look at Swift Diesel (if you dont mind the waiting period )
The U-VA and Getz 1.1 L are though a bit underpowered to my liking but might be VFM with better FE figures.

Most Viewed