Team-BHP - Indica DLS / DLS TURBO / DICOR?.....What BUY?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Indica DLS / DLS TURBO / DICOR?.....What BUY? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/27345-indica-dls-dls-turbo-dicor-what-buy.html)

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a diesel car, as the economy is just to attractive.

I have read a couple of Long Term Ownership reports on Indica on Team Bhp, and realised they are not as bad as I though they were and relaiability is not as big an issue as the general perception is.

My question to all would be the choice to make between the Normal V2 DLS and Turbo V2 DLS, the price gap is just 20k, but I'm concerned about the additional mantanence that the Turbo may require.

I have also head that Indica is soon going to come with a Dicor Engine. Is Dicor all hype or is there really a technological jump with Dicor technology?

So Friends, please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of Non-Turbo, Turbo and Dicor and which is the best bet for long term usage with minimum maintance issues.

Everyone's know how and inputs would be much appreciated.

I heard from somewhere that Tata's are working on a V3 Indica.
I would suggest you wait for it if you are not in a hurry.

If you are thinking of buying an Indica I would suggest you hold on a little more. Indica X1 is coming. This will be a bigger Indica with reworked looks and of course a good number of engine options. One of the most lip-smacking option could be the 1.3MJD engine from Fiat. Its the same engine that does duty in the Swift DDiS as well.

If you ask me which of then options amongst NA, TDIC and Dicor is the best I would say it depends. As of today all three are not available in any Tata car. If you buy an Indica today you can pick either the NA engine or the TDIC (and the TC) engine. Similarly for the Indigo its the TDIC and Dicor engine that are available. Of these buying the NA does not make much sense anymore. For a little more you get the TCIC engine which will make you crack at the lips everytime you floor her. With 68 bhp the behavior of the Indica undergoes a real change. And it becomes fun. The cost difference is also not much to think of the NA. And there is not much of a difference in the maintenance costs either.

Amongst the Dicor and the TDIC engines although Dicor is more modern the actual visible difference is not much in terms of performance. Although the price difference is not much between the two I feel you may not loose anything significant in terms of driveability and pleasure even if you opt for the TDIC engine over the Dicor in the Indigo. However tomorrow when you think of selling the car a Dicor may fetch a tad more than the TDIC.

My friend.

Today just about 2 hrs ago I test drove the Indica Turbo, Tata Safari DICOR VX.
Now before driving these machines I have driven the Tucson, Verna CRDI, Viva CRDI, Swift CRDI.

My version is as follows,
If you are price wary then go for Indica Turbo although I did not feel any turbo kickin in as I have used a normal Indica for a long time so I did not feel any difference in the Turbo honestly. Swift DDiS is a class apart there is no comparison to any of the TATA products...go take test drives and feel for your self.

Tata Safari !! mmm again a cheap SUV mmm puuufff no comments man go take a test drive I do not want to sound offensive here.

Verna and swift diesel are my choice.

Get the DLG turbo with Intercooler.
Its more tried n tested compared to the half-baked DICOR.

The "indica v3" when launched might not replace the current indica - is what some magazine indicated (OD i think).

The Indica Turbo offers diesel economy with decent pulling power (turbo increases power), and maintenance is no more an issue that the 'normal' indica diesel.

Go for the turbo - my opinion.

I had indica v2 dls for more than 2 years. I never faced any problems. If u are planning for a value for money car and if your usage is heavy go for V2 DLS. I have driven the turbo but not very much difference as over the age the normal diesel car driving make it easier to drive any car with or without the turbo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghutk (Post 527581)
I have driven the turbo but not very much difference as over the age the normal diesel car driving make it easier to drive any car with or without the turbo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameer_dg (Post 527316)
My friend.
If you are price wary then go for Indica Turbo although I did not feel any turbo kickin in as I have used a normal Indica for a long time so I did not feel any difference in the Turbo honestly.

You two did not feel any difference between an Indica NA and Indica Turbo? :Shockked: What were you doing? Crawling at below 2k rpm? In the Indica Turbo the kick is hard and prominent at 2k rpm. The moment it touches 2k the feeling is almost like someone changed the engines. I have no clue where you got this bizzare idea that there is no difference between the two cars. There is a pole's difference in the driveability of the two cars.

Yes, you have to but cross the 2k rpm to realize it fully. However if you are perceptive enough you can feel the difference somewhat even before that. I reckon this is because of the intercooler, which is at work all the while, does make a telling difference of those 6bhp which is also useful.

hmm gotta keep an eye on this thread coz I'm particularly interested in the Indica V3 and X1...seems like they are going to be exciting vehicles

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabret00the (Post 527718)
hmm gotta keep an eye on this thread coz I'm particularly interested in the Indica V3 and X1...seems like they are going to be exciting vehicles

V3 and X1... vehicles? uh huh... you are mixing it up buddy. There is nothing called V3 in reality. Thats the streetname, given by the people for the next gen Indica. But in actual Tatas call it the X1. So basically you are talking about the same car.

And you might need to wait longer before you can see the light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabret00the (Post 527718)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 527748)
V3 and X1... vehicles? uh huh... you are mixing it up buddy. There is nothing called V3 in reality. Thats the streetname, given by the people for the next gen Indica. But in actual Tatas call it the X1. So basically you are talking about the same car.

As others have suggested, if you can hold on for a bit longer....wait for the all-new X1 generation.

If not, then opt for the Turbo-diesel. The N/A is too lethargic while the DICOR still doesnt have its full potential tapped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo (Post 527628)
You two did not feel any difference between an Indica NA and Indica Turbo? :Shockked: What were you doing? Crawling at below 2k rpm? In the Indica Turbo the kick is hard and prominent at 2k rpm. The moment it touches 2k the feeling is almost like someone changed the engines. I have no clue where you got this bizzare idea that there is no difference between the two cars. There is a pole's difference in the driveability of the two cars.

Yes, you have to but cross the 2k rpm to realize it fully. However if you are perceptive enough you can feel the difference somewhat even before that. I reckon this is because of the intercooler, which is at work all the while, does make a telling difference of those 6bhp which is also useful.

Zappo is spot on here, my brother owns a Indica NA and I got myself a Indica Turbo DLG 5 months back; there is very good amount of difference in the power thrust. After 2000 rpm the Turbo is just amazing and you kinda get addicted to it, I mean I always try to drive above 2k rpm whenever I can, just love the torque and power so much :). Just test drive them back to back and you will know the difference.

I would strongly suggest to go for Turbo OR wait for Dicor. There is definitely a difference in Turbo.
Waiting for Dicor - i am not sure how long it will be, but Tata may position that at a price higher than the current one.

I test drove a turbo DLG couple of days back (Fortune cars, powai). That thing is a mean beast. 2k RPM post you feel a kick, but push it to 2.5k rpm and before you know its revving freely like a bike does, and just the same amount of pickup.

With a Indica 1.4 Xeta GLG in the family, I can safely say that the Turbo DLG is miles ahead in terms of sheer "fun". The turbo kick is quite a lotta fun. The car becomes a beast. Like my question in another thread, I realized that you can keep the car in the turbo range.

DICOR is currently not available. X1 is still sometime away - should be juicy when it comes :)

Indigo primarily scores in its independent rear suspension (can it be retrofitted on the Indica?) and the boot. But the equivalent LS TDI, is about 1.1 L costlier (Mum), and that is a call you might wish to evaluate.

/due apologies to anyone who bought a red turbo DLG from Fortune Cars Powai on Wed. - no runin required - your car has already touched 3.5k RPM in second gear :D And yes, it has pretty darn good brakes!
/it may not score high on refinement but its peppy- just like someone who rides a pulsar 180 first time - pretty quick and a lotta vibes, and low refinement. Other cars may surely be more refined!