Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:39   #1
BANNED

Used wagon R ...How effective is this?

one of my friend is looking for WAGON R ( Mostly LX 2001 or 2002 with about 30000 km done ) in which he is planned to add AUTO GAS.
His main requirements are comfortable drive / Fuel efficiency/ Maintenance free . how good this choice of CAR model & version.
what he can expect reg Mileage .TIA
Old 24th August 2007, 16:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

I presently drive a wagon R of 2002 model which has done 31K kms. The mileage is around 12~14 kmpl in city and 16~18 kmpl on highways. It is still comfortable to drive this vehicle. About the maintenance I give servicing once in 6 months and the charges will be in the range of Rs.2000~2500.

You have not mentioned what is the price range you are looking at ???
Old 24th August 2007, 16:43   #3
BHPian

An excellent car to drive. I drove a Wagon R, a 2000 model LX which I sold in 2006 December. This is very good car for beginners as the seating postion is high. I used to get a mileage of 12 to 12.5 in Bangalore city.Maintenance was not much, around 2K per servicing including wheel balancing/alignment etc. Addition of an LPG kit, depends on the usage, mileage he does etc
Old 24th August 2007, 16:58   #4
BHPian

My 2002 WagonR havebeen consistently giving me mileage of 15-16 in City (10% AC only) and upto 20 on highway (50% AC). Maintenance is just 2-2.5K every 6-8 months. Done 60k kms. I don't think fitting LPG kits is a great idea since one alread gets decent mileage. LPG kits can certainly increase maintenance.
Old 24th August 2007, 17:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

does Maruti offer a dealer option to add their LPG kit to an old WAGON R ? that would be a good idea...

anyway- the gear shift is appalling!!!

i drove a friends car for a brief period and im at loss how u guys get the gears right - its just too vague
Old 24th August 2007, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
does Maruti offer a dealer option to add their LPG kit to an old WAGON R ? that would be a good idea...

i drove a friends car for a brief period and im at loss how u guys get the gears right - its just too vague
we have a TBHPian who driving late in the eve far from city and guess what? Gear stick comes off from the box! Heard it was buttery smooth shift after that :P

Its a good idea to add auto gas kit.

Last edited by jkdas : 24th August 2007 at 17:19.
Old 24th August 2007, 17:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

It is not that bad buddy , i myself drive a wagonR VXI-2003model has done 35k at the beggining it was very reluctant to come back to 1st gear from higher gear but now since driving it for 3yrs i kinda got a knack to slot it without much effort .Now i dont have any problem with its gear shifts all that i do is ease it thru the shift gently tats all ......
Old 24th August 2007, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Its true that the gear shift is not smooth, especially the old ones(I had the first batch of Wagon Rs). Apparently i was trying a Wagon R at an Auto show in Bangalore lately and found that its was smooth compared to the old ones. But I got used to the gears and was not a problem, but when any of my friends try driving, they move out with in 10 minutes and I get to drive all the long distance drives
Old 24th August 2007, 17:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Its true that the gear shift is not smooth, especially the old ones(I had the first batch of Wagon Rs). Apparently i was trying a Wagon R at an Auto show in Bangalore lately and found that its was smooth compared to the old ones. But I got used to the gears and was not a problem, but when any of my friends try driving, they move out with in 10 minutes and I get to drive all the long distance drives

the one i drove was a 2007 model...!! nuthing much has changed on the gear shift bit from the earlier models i guess ( or was it worse than this earlier !!!
Old 24th August 2007, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
( or was it worse than this earlier !!!
Yes..It was BAD earlier. Especially 1st to 2nd Gear. Once I got used to then it was easy. But all my friends find very difficult to shift.
Old 24th August 2007, 18:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

I hate this when people blow things out of proportion.

One gets used to the gear shift with time. The only problem i face now is that sometimes it just refuses to engage in reverse gear.

Oh and J/K Das, the problem you are citing can happen with any car. Its not related to the quality of gear shift at all.

@Shapath, wagonR is a trouble free car, but do look for worn out plastics. Specially the dashboard.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th August 2007 at 18:29.
Old 24th August 2007, 19:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I hate this when people blow things out of proportion.

One gets used to the gear shift with time. The only problem i face now is that sometimes it just refuses to engage in reverse gear.

Oh and J/K Das, the problem you are citing can happen with any car. Its not related to the quality of gear shift at all.

@Shapath, wagonR is a trouble free car, but do look for worn out plastics. Specially the dashboard.
funny trouble free and then you quote that?
Old 24th August 2007, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
funny trouble free and then you quote that?
The tough gear shift is a characteristic of that car. By trouble free i meant its free from niggling problems that can crop up and irritate, for example suspension problems, electrical problems, and others mechanical problems.

BTW, my friend has a Santro Zipplus, and compared to it the wagonR has been the largely trouble free and lesser maintenance requiring car.

Also, i would much rather prefer a car with rough gearshift than the one risking the spinal cord of the person sitting on the backseat.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th August 2007 at 20:13.
Old 25th August 2007, 15:25   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The tough gear shift is a characteristic of that car. By trouble free i meant its free from niggling problems that can crop up and irritate, for example suspension problems, electrical problems, and others mechanical problems.

BTW, my friend has a Santro Zipplus, and compared to it the wagonR has been the largely trouble free and lesser maintenance requiring car.

Also, i would much rather prefer a car with rough gearshift than the one risking the spinal cord of the person sitting on the backseat.
Very nicely put, DCEite !
Old 25th August 2007, 15:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

A brand new wagon R itself is not that effective and where is the question of effectiveness for used one? . Just kidding

Wagon R is a good car for city driving and it is known to be not a good one for highway rides as it sways a lot after 100kmph if running on stock tyres and it also has the classic gearshift problem that is so in thing with maruti !!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks