Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 18:35   #151
Senior - BHPian

Not the Indica turbo as it costlier than the rest and cant beat Alto and Santro when it comes to city drives.

Will suggest Santro over Alto. If on budget get Alto LXi (one with power steering).
Old 11th July 2008, 19:12   #152
BHPian

Indica Turbo

Indica turbo is economical to own and maintain not essentially 'Fuel Efficient', if you know what I mean. So on economy front all the cars you listed roughly cost the same for ownership in longterm, Santro being slightly on the higher side. Other things you get as a bonus in an Indica are, large space, Solid body, good road handling,great highway cruise and ability to take stress. So my vote is for Indica turbo.
Old 11th July 2008, 19:32   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Not the Indica turbo as it costlier than the rest and cant beat Alto and Santro when it comes to city drives.

Will suggest Santro over Alto. If on budget get Alto LXi (one with power steering).

I agree with jkdas as alto is the master of city driving especially with great fuel economy it gives..i would suggest the Alto any day..

Cheers
Keep us Updated
kaush666
Old 11th July 2008, 20:03   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post

indica turbo
alto
santro

the car will be driven with AC all the time and fuel efficiency, running costs and maintainence costs are the topmost priority

what do u'll think is the best option or can anyone suggest something else
1)
If primary using is in the city then go for Maruti Alto. Its one of the best cars for city driving. The A/C is good, good fuel efficiency and it has Maruti's wide support. The running and maintaining costs are also less.

2)
If primary using is on the highway, go for the Tata Indica Turbo. It again satisfies almost all your requirements.
Old 11th July 2008, 20:06   #155
Senior - BHPian

Did you check the Palio MJD - i know you don't have it in your list, but it is good drive if you close out on the interiors part - definitely much better than the Indica Turbo.
Old 11th July 2008, 20:14   #156
BHPian

thanks for all the replies

my driving will be in the city..

also i heard indica turbo gives 16-17 kmpl in city with ac.

i think the indica proves economical coz of the huge difference in the price of petrol and diesel

any bhpians having the Alto Lxi.. wanted to know the milage given in the city with the AC on at all times
Old 11th July 2008, 20:26   #157
Senior - BHPian

what distance will you be running per month? thats a very important criterion
Old 11th July 2008, 20:27   #158
Senior - BHPian

My vote for Indica Turbo!! Be it city driving or highway, it will give you the best of both worlds. And the only disadvantage is that in the city you cannot squeeze it between two vehicles, like how you would, an alto or M-800. But if you weigh the pros and cons, the pros outweigh the cons.. So my vote for Indica Turbo.

Off topic - Like ph03n!x suggested, you can have a look at the Palio MJD as well. Since its raining MJD's on T-Bhp, you will get some first hand reviews of the owners which will help you decide.
Old 11th July 2008, 20:34   #159
BHPian

i think the palio mjd is heavy on the pocket

monthly running will be around 1500 kms..

i also heard tht some ppl have reported turbo failure and the company has not covered it under warranty saying its customers mistake

for eg. my friend bought the indica turbo and reportedly it shud get its first service at xyz kms..

his car had a turbo failure as he exceeded tht xyz kms and was sent to the service centre... the guys over thr said tht it was the user's mistkae tht he did not get the car serviced on time and tht the warranty had become void..

he had to pay the full chgs for the new turbo

Last edited by honda_dude : 11th July 2008 at 20:40.
Old 11th July 2008, 20:36   #160
BHPian

Quote:

any bhpians having the Alto Lxi.. wanted to know the milage given in the city with the AC on at all times
Hi- I own Alto LX, the mileage in city with normal Ac mode most of the time delivers 14 kmpl and highway 17 kmpl. Alto is a good car which delivers excellent mileage without AC. Anymore query PM me
Old 11th July 2008, 21:02   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

His car had a turbo failure as he exceeded tht xyz kms and was sent to the service centre... the guys over thr said tht it was the user's mistkae tht he did not get the car serviced on time and tht the warranty had become void..

he had to pay the full chgs for the new turbo
Was not aware of that... And its very bad of Tata to do that...! But I dont know if its a nagging issue with many customers or just a few cases here and there!
Old 11th July 2008, 21:17   #162
Senior - BHPian

as my sig says , I own an indica turbo, and am very happy with it. So far , It has fulfiled and at times exceeded expectations. but still, tata's quality control and after sales is still an unknown, so If you are aware of the negative points, and still feel that it is a good deal ( I felt so, that's why I bought it ) , go ahead. If you are wary, or dont like tata vehicles because of image issues, drab interiors etc, then dont.

also, 1000-1500 km/month is a gray area. where there are savings for diesels , but they're not significant. And I'd not recommend the indica turbo for regular driving in city traffic - size, visiblity issues , and lag ( lag has reportedly been taken care of in the indica dicor though)

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th July 2008 at 21:20.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:22   #163
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Was not aware of that... And its very bad of Tata to do that...! But I dont know if its a nagging issue with many customers or just a few cases here and there!
why is it bad of tata? if the service schedule has not been adhered to, they have every right to refuse warranty claims, irrespective of what caused the problem in the 1st place.

I prefer the alto for city driving. The santro didnt feel peppier than the alto by any significant margin. the engine would rev well, but the car wouldnt move. maybe I got a poor example as the TD vehicle.

if its the highway- its the indica.

Old 11th July 2008, 22:24   #164
BHPian

My two paisa worth:
I see you're in B'bay - if more driving on eastern or western expressway then - it has to be the Indica - try out test drives at high speeds and you'll agree.
I use a TDI indica and had considered the same options that you are- so i'll tell you pros:
space - no elbow and knee jostling while changing gears - it feels and is spacious. Santro a little better than Alto but can't beat the indica.
Mileage - 13.5-14 kmpl with AC on all the time except for cig breaks. this is mostly in crawing B'lore traffic. Calculate the diesel advantage.
Torque (&turbo kick): awesome once the car crosses 1800 RPM - sounds good too.

Cons:
Service not the same as MUL/Hyundai - you need to be knowledgeable, pushy and demanding with Tata dealers.
Turbo Lag in stop and go traffic - can get on your nerves when you are having a bad day.

Hope this helps!
Old 11th July 2008, 22:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
if its the highway- its the indica.
For cruising, yes. But definitely not for power - i've had some pretty experiences with mine, and i call the A/c button as the third brake!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks