Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 10:15   #31
Team-BHP Support

I would also recommend the Santro considering your requirements of having the top end model of the car for the money you are paying.
Besides that i would also suggest you to take a look at the Getz Prime 1.1.

As for the Estilo, my dislike for that car is quite known here.
Old 12th September 2007, 10:32   #32
BHPian

I am sure you would regret after buying Santro because of it's bumpy ride and pain in the back.

Since you have to keep the car for more than 5 years so no need to worry about the resale of ZEN at all. No need to hate any car for no apparent reason.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 12th September 2007 at 10:35.
Old 12th September 2007, 12:12   #33
BHPian

I am not going for the used car option for the reasons below
1) I am planning to keep the car for a looooong time
2) I don't want to take the risk of buying a car with some problem (Want absolute peace of mind - warranty)
3) I want to have the feeling of freshness and newness and since it is the first car in family there is a lot of pride on buying the car and don't want to spoil it by buying a used car.

After going through all the replies. Here is the new shortlist of cars
1) Santro
2) Estilo (dropped WagonR as I can live with the looks of Estilo but my wife cannot live with the looks of WagonR and there seems to be no Strong points for WagonR over Estilo as such, unless someone comes up with something)

3) Adding it only because so many have suggested it. Still am not sure how it can fit into my budget and by GLE version what exactly will I get. I had always wanted to get the top end model of any car I choose

Another point I need to add is that my niece will stay with us only for another 15 months or so. After that we will be 3 Adults + 1 kid (2 yrs old now)
Old 12th September 2007, 13:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post

2) Estilo (dropped WagonR as I can live with the looks of Estilo but my wife cannot live with the looks of WagonR and there seems to be no Strong points for WagonR over Estilo as such, unless someone comes up with something)
Better handling ,better build, bigger boot than the Estilo, to name a few.
And WagonR for men, Estilo for women.

Last edited by DCEite : 12th September 2007 at 13:14.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I am not going for the used car option for the reasons below
1) I am planning to keep the car for a looooong time
2) I don't want to take the risk of buying a car with some problem (Want absolute peace of mind - warranty)
3) I want to have the feeling of freshness and newness and since it is the first car in family there is a lot of pride on buying the car and don't want to spoil it by buying a used car.

After going through all the replies. Here is the new shortlist of cars
1) Santro

3) Adding it only because so many have suggested it. Still am not sure how it can fit into my budget and by GLE version what exactly will I get. I had always wanted to get the top end model of any car I choose

Another point I need to add is that my niece will stay with us only for another 15 months or so. After that we will be 3 Adults + 1 kid (2 yrs old now)
Simon,

You basically need a car for atleast 4 people. A 2 yr old needs a seat. Santro is a good option for city driving especially for bangalore. No idea of estilo as I have not tested it. I have heard that rear seats of santro are bumpy on long drives but I have not heard any of my friends owning santro complain about that. One of my friend purchased a santro XO last december. His family comprises of 4 adults and 2 kids. They all fit in his santro with a smile. I myself drive an alto (due to some personal reasons had compromised) but still for bangalore driving will prefer a santro over a wagonr. So if Estilo and WagonR feel the same as far as driving comfort is the perspective I will any day prefer a santro over them.

Happy Driving
Old 12th September 2007, 13:21   #36
BHPian

Thanks DCElite. We compared the boot and Estilo's book was quite fine with us. Better build and better handling is something that I might have to check out. But looks, Well I am kinda ok with Estilo's looks. Same with WagonR. But my wife outright hates WagonR looks and unless I have some strong points in favor of WagonR over Estilo I will not be able to convince her (nor myself).

So it is between Santro and Estilo. I have not driven Estilo. Will be doing it today with the little that I know. I have driven Santro though. So can compare easily with that. Anyone supporting Santro or Estilo strongly, kindly post ur points. From now on it is between Santro and Estilo only. Wow!! that was easier than I thought. Thanks to Team BHP.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:09   #37
BHPian

Thanks vijaypalrana, your point taken for Santro. Will help me decide in the Santro Vs Estilo fight inside my mind. The on-road price of Estilo Vxi in Bangalore is 4,15000. I have not done any bargaining as of now. I need to find out the OTR for Santro XO. If anyone knows the correct figure, kindly let me know.
Old 12th September 2007, 14:21   #38
BHPian

Looking at all suggestions, it reminds me buying my first car. I am been driving for few years now, its mostly in city like Pune and Mumbai. I think you as driver + owner should look for few things.

Driver:
Its imp for driver
a. how many times he is going to enter and exit in car during a day.
b. how much time he is going to drive
c. how many times he is going to change the gears and press the CLUTCH in a day.
d. how many hrs driving is in heavy traffic area.
One should not feel bit compromised about seating comfort, driving comfort etc. Looking at your height 5"10 Santro, Wagon R, Zen are the best options. If you are driving more in bumper to bumper traffic then Automatic tranmission is the best, else you may endup with knee pain. Typically in small the quality of clutch is not so great and gear ratios are also small, which forces frequent gear changes >> knee pain. I think Santro AT is sold more than Wagon R AT. Also please check for ABS and airbags. ABS helps in city as well.

Owner: Looking at fuel prices, Look out for boot space to install CNG/LPG kits later. Zen may not help here. I know automatic transmission gives bit less FE but that can be resolved by CNG/LPG kits. The last point, Santro/ Wagon R can be driven with chauffeur in future.

Finally: Maruti, Hyundai, GM all make good cars. For new buyers in small car segement, the quality of service will increase as everybody is focusing here.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
So it is between Santro and Estilo. I have not driven Estilo. Will be doing it today with the little that I know. I have driven Santro though. So can compare easily with that. Anyone supporting Santro or Estilo strongly, kindly post ur points. From now on it is between Santro and Estilo only. Wow!! that was easier than I thought. Thanks to Team BHP.
Let me give some back-ground before telling. I have been driving Santro these days (Not mine)

1. Engine - Better than Santro (Japanees Vs Korean)
2. Ride - Much better than Santro (test Drive or sit atleast at back)
3. Look - Fresh look when compare with Santro
4. Space - Less than Santro (You can manage as you said)
5. *** - Maruti is better than anybody else (proven)
6. Life - New Santro in pipeline, Estilo will continue at least couple of years

what else you want to know tell me.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 12th September 2007 at 15:42.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:53   #40
BHPian

I have been in estillo for a good amoutn in the co-passengers seat, my friend doesnt allow me to touch his baby, and I find the drive comfortable, considering I am 6'2" (lambu); Gear **** does touch my knees sometimes, but I am used to it, I still have sufficient space above my head so that on bumps I dont touch the top of the vehicle.

Coming on to the rear seat comfort in estillo, I cannot comment; For me its a tough call, my friend being 5'10", he shifts his seat a bit back and I cannot sit behind him in the rear seat.

For a small family, it does work wonders; Added to that, the dash of the estillo is pushed inwards, so you in drivers seat should be able to sit comfortably without taking support of dash at the knee joints.

I like the nip and sip of estillo, esp the Black Color exteriors with dual tone black biege seat covers are awesome

Hope this helps you in your choice.
Old 12th September 2007, 15:55   #41
BHPian

Hi vivek_pinkoo, thanks for the points in favor of Estilo. How about highways. I will never drive above 100 km/hr. So with that information is there any known trouble with Estilo on highways.

Another update:
I got a friend who purchased estilo a few months back. He is happy and says it returns 14-15 kms/litre with AC and he is not a very good driver. I went with him to have a look at his Beige Estilo Lxi. I checked the gear and though nothing compared to Santro, it is not that bad either. Back seat space looks a bit less, but 2 in back seat should be fine. Space and Leg room for driver is good. Will update after taking TD today/tomorrow.

So the Estilo Vs Santro war is still on.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vivek_pinkoo, thanks for the points in favor of Estilo. How about highways. I will never drive above 100 km/hr. So with that information is there any known trouble with Estilo on highways.
I have driven WR (Same chassis and engine as Estilo) on DELHI-Agra high-ways upto 120-130 K/H and I experienced decent performance but do not expect much stability from tall boy design and push beyond that limit.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
1. Engine - Better than Santro (Japanees Vs Korean)
Is it better only because its Japanees? I personally think the Santro's torquey engine is its strong point - it really is 'Zip'py!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
5. *** - Maruti is better than anybody else (proven)
Hyundai's A.S.S is better than Maruti's is. May not be as widespread, but what it may lack in quantity it more than makes up with Quality.

@ the thread initiator:

From what I have seen on Indian roads, the two small vehicles that are abused to the max on really bad roads with the drivers zipping over non-existant surfaces are (Surprise, Surprise!) the Santro and Maruti Omni. The amount of abuse these two can take is quite mindboggling, particularly when you consider the fact that the ride in the rear is not the strongpoint of either of these vehicles - condition of rear passengers aside, these vehicles seem to be able to take a lot of punishment.

The Estilo is a hasty, badly thought out replacement for the Zen. It looks and feels cheap inside and out - IMHO. Between the two that you have shortlisted, I would recommend a Santro, though I would still suggest you look at bigger vehicles like the Getz and the Aveo since you seem to have the budget. When you buy a car, remember to plan for your family + 2. You dont want to have to call a taxi or an autorickshaw every time you have a visitor or two.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th September 2007 at 17:52.
Old 12th September 2007, 18:32   #44
BHPian

Simon,

Looks like you will have to test drive both the cars with your entire family and then take the call.
You know your family may not agree with your choice for sure but as you mentioned you will be driving the car 90% then you need to consider your comfort on top priority.
Regarding santro's space I would like to add that when I and my friend went to check the santro for first time my friend (6'3") took a very comfortable position at drivers seat and then he asked me (6'0") to get in the seat behind him. I was comfortably seating there with still few inches between my knees and his seat.
He had test driven Estilo as well but he was not happy with the drive and build quality. He mentioned that estilo was kind of flying on high speeds and the A/c takes the toll on performance.
You will find people supporting both santro and estilo here. So I feel you need to take the test drives and decide.

This SANTRO X ESTILO war will never end.

Do post your test report.
Old 12th September 2007, 19:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

why not have a look at the Indica??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks