Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2007, 01:27   #91
BHPian

Love at first sight !

Mods ! my apologies, if I am out of place, but I just can't help...

It is almost 3 months now, and me and my wifey just could not decide which car. Our budget was 4.5 - 5 L max (with loan) and choice were Alto, Santro, Estilo, Wagon R, Spark, and if we can stretch a bit, then Swift. But instead of selecting one, we were rejecting one after the other !

1. Alto > Actually I am 6' 1" tall. It is a bit too crampy. But great VFM - undecided.

2. Santro > This is the one on which we learnt driving. It is an excellent car to drive, great visibility, nice engine and gear - BUT - Look at right or left, up or down - there is a Santro ! I don't know why, there may be more M800s and Altos on the road, but I am really tired of seeing Santros. It is kind of boring. Moreover, once this Pa is released, what will happen to Santro? - rule out Santro !

3. Wagon R/Estilo > I read this Autocar June issue "mega small car shootout . "F10D engine showing its age" "engine feels unrefined" "mechanical clutter" so, when there is Autocar No. 1 choice Santro, why Estilo or Wagon R? - Rule out both.

4. Spark > Relatively new car. Lack of A.S.S. Bit costlier in its segment. Why don't stretch a bit and go for lower-end Swift? - Rule out Spark.

5. Swift > Have to compromise and go for Base Swift (can't afford Vxi or Zxi). Then come to know that Maruti is using old-gen G-series engine here and newer M-series elsewhere. If tomorrow they put this M-series engine, who will care for my G-series. But then everybody is standing in "Q" and buying. Surely not all of them are fools? - undecided.

And then great Idea ! Just go and buy one "used Alto Lxi" for say around 2.2 L !! Both of us are "L-boards". Use it for 6 to 8 months untill both of us will be expert drivers. So, Like esteem lover says "Keep your eyes on the road, Your hands upon the wheel... Let it roll, baby, roll !!!

By then lot of Hyundai Pa will be on roads - Fiat India will succeed with Grande Punto - Skoda Fabia - Honda Jizz (or Jazz??) - some Toyota hatchback - so many choices - and Maruti will come up with M-series engine for Swift and may be some Sports version also !

But - how do you arrange money? we together can put up to 1.2 L. Getting loan for used car is difficult. What if if you want to sell the car within 3-4 months. Go for personal loan ! I call up Stanchart and they are ready to give 1.5 L immediately.

Now the hunt for used Alto Lxi begins. Every Saturday and Sunday, from morning to evening me and my wifey are running from one car mela to other. Oh my God ! these "used" altos are not as cheap. And then I read here the pitfalls of buying used car. I come across many used car owners. Meter tampering. Utter confusion and helplessness...

Then it happened !

On October 12, Friday, just leafing thru TOI and there is one full page ad - GM 100 years celebrations - SPARK now at 2.79 Lacs !!!

Next day me and my wifey go to Sundaram Motors. Actually, I was not very keen on Spark. We just go there to check the price and see how our own "Nimz's Sparky" looks. We just enter the showroom and there - there are Spark and Spark everywhere. Wow ! one platinum metallic, one mint green, one fiery red, one some cashmeer(?). An icy blue and one casablanca white out side. We were overwhelmed.

When I go near green, did she blink? believe me guys, she did ! And when I go near Icy blue, she blinked twice !! She has such a beautiful eyes. Sexy body. She is not too tall, nor she is too small. Yes, it was love at first sight ! My wifey also liked her. We open the door and sit inside and it was a great feeling.

But somehow I did not like the people at Sundaram. That day there were lot of people and we did not get much attention. I had so many questions, and they are all so busy! I wanted to see one black Sparky, and they did not have one.

So, we leave Sundaram and head straight to Garuda Autocraft. Surprisingly, there were not many people at Garuda (may be because it was lunch time). As soon as we enter, we bump across one Mr. Nagaraj, Sales consultant. He was very friendly. We discuss with him every thing - about Santro, Estilo, Alto, Swift. About alloy wheel and ABS and the finances. And when I ask him about black Sparky, he offers to take us to their stockyard and show one black sparky. We sit in a U-va, and he drives us to their stockyard. I knew it, when I see black sparky, I tell him - She is mine !

This morning (Sunday) me and my wifey go to Garuda, sit across Mr. Nagaraj, and cut a cheq for 25000/- and book one black Sparky 1.0 LT.

Oh guys, you know what - I started this thread at around 10:30 pm and now it is midnight 1:25 !!

if it is too long...
Old 16th October 2007, 09:58   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Bombatt. Congrats on your new purchase and another congrats for the stirring writeup.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:37   #93
BHPian

Which one ? Chevy Spark/Fiat Palio/Wagon R ?

Hi Guys,
My Brother in Law wants to buy a new car in some time.He is contemplating his options as of now.
Here are the basic details,
1] Budget - 3.5-4.0L Max
2] Best VFM Package
3] Petrol only

As of now i have suggested him the following cars,
1] Fiat Palio Stile 1.1
2] Wagon R
3] Chevy Aveo-Uva

This is what he has in mind ,
1] Chevy Spark
2] Wagon R
3] Zen Estillo
4] Tata Indica Petrol Xeta
5] Maruti Alto

He already has a Santro so he is not interested in buying a Santro again.

So taking all this into consideration what would you guys suggest ?

BTW, I soooo feel he should buy the FIAT

Amey

Last edited by Amey : 18th October 2007 at 11:42.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:48   #94
BHPian

CHEVY spark is the car out of the 5 you have listed its VFM, best milege and styling. And also good service package12000 for 3 years
Old 18th October 2007, 11:49   #95
BHPian

I think UVA is the best among hte shorlisted ones. Wagon R may have the advantage of better service network and resale maybe . But if you like Fiat there is no reason it shouldnt be bought, nice car good build. What is his driving pattern like? How many people going to be travelling on average and the number of kms he will be logging.?
Old 18th October 2007, 11:58   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I think UVA is the best among hte shorlisted ones. Wagon R may have the advantage of better service network and resale maybe . But if you like Fiat there is no reason it shouldnt be bought, nice car good build. What is his driving pattern like? How many people going to be travelling on average and the number of kms he will be logging.?
I like the FIAT very much but the point is, i am not the one buying and driving so my choice is immaterial.
His driving pattern,
He drives quite less. Mostly in the city, hardly takes it outside the city.Mostly He, his wife, his son are going to be the usual passengers and some others occasionally.
He is not a mile-eater like me, so i don't expect him to clock some high Kms on that Odometer
Old 18th October 2007, 12:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Alto is a stepdown from wagonR
Xeta for that low usage, with its attendant niggles as it can have, might be a pain.
wagonR is at end of product cycle - due for an upgrade

spark vs estilo, i vote for former. much more well engineered/spacious car. check the similar comparison thread some weeks back. that gent chose an estilo finally though
Old 18th October 2007, 12:09   #98
Senior - BHPian

Spark has a good offer now. 50K off. You can buy the top end for around 4 lakh now. There's a similar thread on the Spark. Take a look at it for more information.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:11   #99
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amey,

I own Palio 1.2 Sport since Apr 2005 now. In Pune you have descent service centers for FIAT like BU BHandari, Pandit and Jay-Vijay. Jay-Vijay is now only for servicing as they have not got any new stile on sale as FIAT decided to go with TATA dealers.

My experience with Jay-Vijay has been very good. They know FIATs in and out being into FIAT dealership since ages now.. I never had any problem with them in my 2.5 yrs of owership. Fast moving spare parts are readily available with them.. Changed my rear door, windshiled in 2 days time..

Recently I visited to BU BHandari as my car is making sound taking tight right turns... One of our Palio user group member works for BU in their workshop.. He has sound knowledge of FIATs.. He rectified the problem going out of the way.. It took them 2 hours to get through the exact problem. They attended me even when I was not there with prior appointment.

In Pune I do not think FIAT service has been any issue. You can go very well go ahead with FIAT.. Do not worry..
Old 18th October 2007, 12:15   #100
BHPian

Hi Guys,
My Bro in law has just registered on the forum and is reading as we post here

I love FIATs but as i meantioned before, its not me buying. If i was buying, i would pick FIAT with eyes closed.
I have heard good things about BU Bhandari from Moralfibre so i am aware of their improving service.

Lets see what he decides.

I am secretely on mission to persuade him to buy a FIAT
Old 18th October 2007, 12:16   #101
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest that he goes for the Indica Xeta. I have driven it and it makes perfect sense to be driven in. Second option can be the Palio 1.1 Stile.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:17   #102
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if you could get the U-va at that budget. I would suggest he test drives the Palio 1.1, The Chevy Spark and the zen estillo. The Wagon R seems to be too old for a buy now, unless he wants the lpg version.

The Chevy and the Estillo are full of features. I guess you could go for the high end version of both (with ABS). The Palio would give you a more bigger feel, a more powerful engine and real good ride comfort.

Ask him to TD all three and decide based on his liking.

I would go for the palio if i had some highway riding included. If its jjust for city drive i think the spark with the option pack would be a great buy with the 50K discounts ON
Old 18th October 2007, 12:33   #103
BHPian

Even i dont like the shape of Wagon R but i found it to be a practical buy because its Maruti.
As for the Indica, i already own one and owning one has been a nightmare for me. The Service with Pandit was horrible.
Thats what made me a bit skeptical when suggesting him the options.
I dont consider the Estillo as a car, period !
The Spark is good but then the tail lights look awkward. Hence i preferred UVA, Stile Palio 1.1
Old 18th October 2007, 12:50   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Even i dont like the shape of Wagon R but i found it to be a practical buy because its Maruti.
As for the Indica, i already own one and owning one has been a nightmare for me. The Service with Pandit was horrible.
Service with B.U. Bhandari will be miles ahead and better than Pandit. The Indica you have is a Diesel? The new gen Petrol Indica's are better. Considering his low usage (and driven by a driver?) I feel Indica is your best bet with the Palio a close second.
Old 18th October 2007, 13:06   #105
BHPian

friend, with his kind of driving it has to be spark or UVA , based on budget , i donno the prices. Wagon R is a pain with hte gear shift. Xeta will not be problem free (more likely).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks