Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 14:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Addictive !

I hope the inputs have helped simon, but no response from him yet. Hopefully he is either practising right now not to stall the car anymore or to everyone's surprise opted for a Maruti 800, Lol.

This forum has a commanding power on most of the subjects. I never had a plan to spent even Rs.1/- on the wagon R lxi I bought in April 2007. Getting more into the discussions in different threads, I realise with a shock, I spent over 50k in 5 months on upgrades and the list is ever growing. Probably my wagon R might turn into the comforts of a Merc or BMW if I go on with upgrades for another 2 years. T-BHP is addictive, I must say; very addictive like an opium. I am on the verge of damping my car in 3 days (material has already come on order), an action for better sound usually done by less than 10% of car owners in India. Is it not the result of an addictive forum ? Happily YES.
Old 13th September 2007, 15:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hey Simon,

My very own first car was a Santro, although I had driven a Premier Padmini, and a Maruti 800 before that. Since then, also driven the Wagon R, Indica, Old Zen, Swift, Getz amongst others. Considering your specific needs, and seeing that you are looking at a car for 4 adults, 1 child, mainly city driving with an emphasis on low maintainence and fuel economy, I would strongly suggest going in for a Hyundai Santro or Getz Prime.

Reasons being, amazing cars, very easy to drive for a first timer, smooth gearbox, good pick up, excellent plastics and upholstery, very low maintenance engine, spacious in its class, and nice looks.

Maruti Wagon R is also good, with slightly more boot space than a Santro, but lacks good quality plastics and upholstery and starts creaking soon.

Indica - Only pro is space, Cons are bad build quality, bad ***, bad company. Read the posts about Tata's dismal service in this forum.

Now between the Santro and the Getz Prime, the Getz prime wins on all counts except price. Go for the Prime if you can afford it. Great suspension, more roomier and more than adequate for your family size. If you want to save a few bucks, go for the Santro. Wont regret it. Very good deals on that car nowadays. Will serve you very well for the next 5 years easily. Mine still purrs like now, even though its been nearly 3 years.

Hope this helps!!! Do write in once you make your choice. Wish you all the very best !!!

Lalvaz
Old 13th September 2007, 16:45   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
NO . you are not agreed that more no of A.S.S. means more better support. Thats is what I am asking what do you mean by better Quality service.
I guess we are disagreeing for the sake of it.
As far as my knowledge on this forum goes, you wouldnt find people who hate Hyundai and the service standards they have set here in India.

Thats my point, and no more on this discussion from me.
Old 13th September 2007, 17:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I guess we are disagreeing for the sake of it.
As far as my knowledge on this forum goes, you wouldnt find people who hate Hyundai and the service standards they have set here in India.

Thats my point, and no more on this discussion from me.
Not denying, but I would rate Maruti on higher scale when it comes to A.S.S.. Finish from my side also. Be happy.
Old 13th September 2007, 19:27   #65
BHPian

A.S.S apart.. and since the thread starter wants only the Estilo or Santro.. Well I wouldnt recommend either..

Santro - Korean make. Quality issues. Car going to be stopped. tall look so far better handling need stiff suspension which hampers ride quality

Estilio - Handling wasnt too great. Rear leg space is dismal. Boot space is huge though. Not too great on ride comfort.. there are better ones in this price range. Personally dont like the shape..

If I have to choose ONLY between these 2.. Santro - more of a drivers car than the Estilo.
Old 13th September 2007, 20:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I guess his limit (BUDGET) was 4.25 + 20k, and I think the on road price of Getz Prime GLE falls within this in Bangalore - Bangy guys correct me if im wrong
It was 4.48 at Launch but anything is negotiable.
Old 13th September 2007, 21:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
... I said there are just 2 cars short listed and I will not be adding to the confusion. So Estilo Vs Santro. ...But I am clear on one thing. No more cars to confuse me. Only of the two ....
Simonkayar,
You dont have any confusion right now so I am going to add a touch. Let's face it - you are still learning how to drive. No offense, but for your first few months, you are going to be a bad driver. You might unintentionally get into a bang-up, and seeing a blemish on your brand new car is going to cause a reversal of feelings towards the babe (your car), apart from making you want to lose her keys. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from vicarious ones from those around me. I learned how to drive on a jeep close to 2 decades ago and my first buy was a jeep too. Never feared bangs and blemishes in those monsters.

My point is you might not be able to avoid the odd scratch, but you really dont want to be doing that to a new car (and not on that 'top of the line' you seemed to be obsessed with). I'd suggest that you buy a used car. I dont think that car size is going to be a huge limitation for a learner, though I would think that visibility is a concern. Buy a car which you wont mind collecting a few dents on.

You dont have a small family. You want five comfortable seats, and boot space to keep those bags on those drives to Pondicherry. I'd recommend a used Esteem. And one without any power windows. (Is it peer pressure that's driving you to getting a top of the line? Electricals are of ridiculously poor quality in most Indian builds. What good is a window that wont wind down?). You get big car feel, decent ride and stability, Maruti's A.S.S and a boot to boot, pun unintended, in that small car budget. Bung in a spoiler on the boot lid and you'll know where your car ends while you are backing up.

I've never owned a small car, but we have a few many in the family. The only real advantage of the WagonR, Estilo (a blot on our roads), and Santro is finding parking in Bangalore. But you will get used to parking the big girls in tight spots sooner than later. Drive a used sedan for 3 years - cut your teeth on it, earn your driving spurs, and you are ready for something bigger and/or faster.
Old 13th September 2007, 22:23   #68
BHPian

Thanks to all of you who have spent their time educating me.
But the fight is over.
After the TD with my family I immediately booked "Zen Estilo" (I know I will be hated for this).
We settled on Champagne Beige Vxi
The best part - I am taking delivery tomorrow.
The icing on the cake - I am getting the following instead of the 18k cash discount since one of my friend is a well known person of Pratham Motors
- Door Mat, Boot Mat, Perfume, Idol etc (basic stuff)
- Sony XPlod MP3/WMA with Aux In with 6" front speakers and 9" Oval rear ones on hat (didn't understand much, but my friend took care)
- 3M sun films on windows
- Teflon Coating
- Under Chassis Anti Rust Coating
- Art Leather seats
- Siren in key-less entry
- Some other gift since my friend who recommended me has 'Auto-card'

So I am one happy person now.
Thanks to Team BHP and all of you who helped me.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:12   #69
BHPian

@ Simon - Congrats on your decision. No one will hate you for your decision. It is a personal choice..

Well let me race you with my Spark whenever i see a champagne beige Estilo

Nimz

Oh BTW since you have got it.. makes no difference.. but its always advisable to get Cash discounts..
Old 14th September 2007, 00:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Simon on your decision to go for 'baby innova' as you mentioned in your first post itself. I think you were all set to go for estillo although lot of others came in discussion here. I can also assume you have test driven only estillo. Few tips:

As you are very new to the road, please make sure they dont paste dark tints as it will blind your proper vision and timely judgements while changing lanes, parking, reversing etc. Cash discounts are always best as taken in the same form. Maruti charges double the price for most of the accessories. In my case I paid Rs.2000/- for a stupid set of wheel caps (no more on my car) that is originally sold for Rs.1000/- in any auto accessory shop. Its just a small example. You will be ripped off double the price on everything like steering leather cover, wheel caps, seat covers, mats, door pads, side strips and all the listed items as MGA. Teflon coating and anti rust coating is another marketing cum money making technique too. If you can re-claim your cash discount do it immediately. You will be happier. According to me a brand new car (any make) need not have any special coating or treatment atleast for 3 years. Waiting for photos and your first hand experience on road !! Dont forget to come back !! Have a great ride !
Old 14th September 2007, 00:49   #71
BHPian

simon,hearty congratulations on your decision for estilo,went through entire thread first time tonite and came to know about your final decision now ,once again congrats,wish you happy and safe driving,cheers
Old 14th September 2007, 08:36   #72
BHPian

Thanks Guys for your support.
I think it is too late to reverse on the Decision to take accessories instead of cash discount. But it is fine. I did know that MGA were far costly, but still the overall package seemed a decent deal.

Shajufx, I have told them to have only medium coating for sun film to aid me in driving better. I told them I am a new driver, hence they too told they will make that sure.

Nimz,
I will look out for your sparky and for the initial days avoid you. May be later on will take ur sparky with my beigy. Well jokes apart, I am planning to be one good and safe driver :-)
Old 14th September 2007, 10:46   #73
Team-BHP Support

Congo Simon,

Now dont forget to write your ownership experience with the car. Not many threads running on the forum so yours will be the one ppl will be looking forward to

All the best, drive well and take care of the car
Old 14th September 2007, 11:14   #74
BHPian

congrats Simon,

I hope you will enjoy the car most and will be good driver on road.

All the best. Keep in touch with your ownership experience.

Bye for now.
Old 14th September 2007, 11:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Santro - Korean make. Quality issues. Car going to be stopped. tall look so far better handling need stiff suspension which hampers ride quality
OT: Are you regretting your decision after buying Spark? I hope you know that it is also Korean.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks