Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 11:19   #1
BHPian

First car - Santro/WagonR/Alto/Estilo/Indica/Getz Prime/Spark/Palio 1.1/i10

Hi,
I have gone through almost all the reviews here and the other "what car" questions too. But I felt that giving the complete picture might help the experts here to give opinions that are more suited to me. help me out.

I have a maximum budget of 4.25 Lakhs. I live in Bangalore with my wife and 2 yrs old kid.
My mother-in-law and niece are with us. So that makes 4 adults and 1 kid who will be travelling in the car 99% of the time.
This is my first car and I have absolutely no experience of cars earlier (No car in family) and am currently driving the Caliber 115. I am taking my driving classes.
My usuage would be max 1000 kms per month and occasional visit to Pondicherry (330 kms from Bangalore). As everybody else I am totally confused. I has settled for Estilo based on the reviews and after seeing the car. I felt that for that price I am getting a stylish wagonR. For some reason I felt that I should go for Maruti as my first car.
The car will be mostly driven by me (85%) but my wife will also drive it (15%). It will be driven mostly in City in the worst possible traffic scenario (90%) and only 10% on highways.
I want absolute peace of mind and will keep the car for more than 5 years. As every middle class family we are also obsessed with mileage and low cost of ownership but we wanted something bigger than the alto.
I am 5 feet 10 inches tall. I am planning to buy the car in cash and hence will not be able to strectch my budget by more than 20k (Don't want to take loan)

Some doubts I have
------------------------
1. What is the point of having power windows which are only roll-down. I don't get it. Does that mean to roll up I need to use the manual method. I read in this forum about this in WagonR. Is it the case with Estilo and Santro too? How about other cars.
2. Why is there so much of bashing of estilo here. It is only because it looks bad (Seems to me like a baby innova - So do you hate innova as well) or is there something really bad about Estilo
3. What about some crankshaft problem that people complain about Santro. Does it still hold good
4. Should I buy now (As you might have guessed since this is my first car I am dying to buy one as soon as possbile) or wait till Hyundai launch PA
5. I don't have DL and I even stall the car sometimes as of now. Is it a good idea to take TD with this kind of driving. Is it ok to buy a new car now. I am confident that I will learn properly withing a month or so

for the long post.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:38   #2
BHPian

Hi Simon,
I am also finalizing my first car and has been going crazy abt it.. i have 99% similar rquirement as yours except size of famliy, in my case it is 3 . After driving all cars from estelo to sx4 (wagonr,santro,swift,palio,indica) i am finlising getz 1.1 prime gle
reason
1) lowest model cost 4.4 incuding audio player so it is in your budegt
2) best seating capabilty of 5 ppl which is case with you
3) city avg of 13kmpl with ac (i have asked owners abt this)
4) best gear shifting mechanisim
5) best suspension in the class
6) compatitive maintaince cost

I guess it fits your requirement
all the best
Old 11th September 2007, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
1. What is the point of having power windows which are only roll-down. I don't get it. Does that mean to roll up I need to use the manual method. I read in this forum about this in WagonR. Is it the case with Estilo and Santro too? How about other cars.
2. Why is there so much of bashing of estilo here. It is only because it looks bad (Seems to me like a baby innova - So do you hate innova as well) or is there something really bad about Estilo
3. What about some crankshaft problem that people complain about Santro. Does it still hold good
4. Should I buy now (As you might have guessed since this is my first car I am dying to buy one as soon as possbile) or wait till Hyundai launch PA
5. I don't have DL and I even stall the car sometimes as of now. Is it a good idea to take TD with this kind of driving. Is it ok to buy a new car now. I am confident that I will learn properly withing a month or so

for the long post.

1. Not true. You can roll-up also.

2. Nothing bad. Only look.

3 No such issue at all. Same engine as WR and you know WR is more than 6-7 year on indian roads now.

4. It is your call. Maruti is selling more than 50% of total car sell. If you like the Estilo. go ahead. Cars will keep coming.

5. Just little bit more practice and I am sure you will be expert in no time but keep couple of things in mind while driving.

a. Do not speed up the car more that 40-50 in any case since you are new driver and hence you will have more time to react to any situation.
b. Do not change lane without giving indicators.
c. Keep distance with care ahead of you at least 30-40 feet. (To be on safer side) if you are driving at the speed of 40-50.

Estilo is the good car and it will serve you good in coming years and you will not regret. All the best.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 11th September 2007 at 13:52.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:55   #4
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks Vivek.
You cleared up a whole lot of doubts I had. I was so confused.
Old 11th September 2007, 14:07   #5
BHPian

hi simonkayar i am using santro from last 4 years i don't have any problem infact i am really happy with the car. fe is very good too .If u r looking for more leg room as u r 4+1 person u can look for getz's too
Old 11th September 2007, 14:17   #6
BHPian

Estilo is a good car. Only some may not like the looks of the car and again that is subjective. Estilo is good first car with good features like electric mirrors etc...

If you like Estilo, You can go for Estilo without any worries. Being Maruti, it'll reliable and trouble free car ownership experience.
Old 11th September 2007, 14:43   #7
BHPian

for a budget of 4.25-4.50 lacs, I would probably look at Getz Prime...more value for money and I guess equally good or better A.S.S but of course a km or two compromised (mileage) for the build quality, space and class!

And for the occasional highway trips, Getz is definitely better and safer!
Old 11th September 2007, 14:49   #8
BHPian

Go for it Mate. I will too suggest you a maruti car for first time ownership. Cheers....
Old 11th September 2007, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Thanks Guys for your valuable feedback. See this is the reason I posted on this forum. I never even thought of Getz as an option earlier. Now I have another car to think about
Are there any Negatives for Estilo compared to WagonR, except for slight reduction in space. (Leave the looks - I am ok with the estilo's look)
Old 11th September 2007, 15:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
for a budget of 4.25-4.50 lacs, I would probably look at Getz Prime...more value for money and I guess equally good or better A.S.S but of course a km or two compromised (mileage) for the build quality, space and class!

And for the occasional highway trips, Getz is definitely better and safer!
I would have gone for IKON with little bit more money and class instead of Getz Prime.

No limit boss. You have to draw the limit first (BUDGET) then decide the car.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
I would have gone for IKON with little bit more money and class instead of Getz Prime.

No limit boss. You have to draw the limit first (BUDGET) then decide the car.
I guess his limit (BUDGET) was 4.25 + 20k, and I think the on road price of Getz Prime GLE falls within this in Bangalore - Bangy guys correct me if im wrong

Last edited by gopz : 11th September 2007 at 15:25.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

For a first Car I would really like to advise for Santro Xing XO - Great Car. Well below yr budget -

ADVANTAGES -

Very Good view of the road, visibility is excellent ( this will be an important aspect keeping in mind you are a new learner )

Mantainance Free Car - Have been using Santro's ever since it launched, it was my first car, great everything.

After Maruti, Hyundai is the only company which is selling the max. cars, also their after sales is superb !!

Other options - Getz 1.1 , Wagon R, Swift VXi.

Why do you want to go for the estilo ? I feel if it is maruti you like, go for the Wagon R.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:34   #13
BHPian

simon i have santro for past 5 months, if u want leg room, head space, and trouble free entry and exit.... santro is the car.

estilo lacks roomspace...
Old 11th September 2007, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

You have a family of 4 plus 1 child. So if you have ONE visitor you will be 5 plus 1 child.

You need space.

You're a new driver, you need an economical mode of transport that will serve you for some time, not a performance oriented one.

The Getz sounds good, even if a bit underpowered with the Santro engine. Your other option is an Indica if you are inclined towards Tata. If you arent, dont bother. Being a new driver on Bangalore roads is bad enough - you dont want to be pissed off with your choice of car! You could also look at the Aveo UV/A which is a decent sized vehicle.

Since you are not a nuclear family, I wouldnt look at any of the smaller cars - ALto/Santro/Spark/WagonR/Estilo. Or even the Swift - you dont want to punish your near and dear by putting them in the rear of a Swift.

Someone suggested an Ikon, but while it looks like a big car, the Getz, Aveo and Indica all offer better space. It is still a decent compromise. I'm not sure if the Petrol Indigo or the Logan (Ugh!, but you dont seem to be bothered about looks) fall into your budget.

You've mentioned that you dont have a Driver's License. You will need time to get that - why dont you get your license first and wait for more options? You may have the Hyundai PA out by then, giving you one more option. Or at least a Getz CRDi, which I'm sure will be out of your budget limits.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

@steeroid
You just took words from my mouth Sir, Right on target.
@simonkayar
I find you have more inclination towards maruti
If you like the looks of Zen estilo. Go for it. It has got very good mileage, sufficient luggage space, best for 4 adults + 1 kid.
My other options for you would be a Wagon r, swift
Closed Thread

Most Viewed