Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 09:28   #1

Santro Automatic (buy or not)

Hi,

I need your expert advice to buy a Santro Automatic.

Although I know there are very less AT versions in market, but I could manage to find 1 Santro XG Dec. 2004 model with a dealer. The car is registered in Delhi and has done approx. 30K kms.

I am not an expert in 2nd hand models so I could see few scratches on all 4 sides of the car. Car has 1 owner and has the below features.

1. Front Power Windows
2. A/C + Heater
3. Power Steering
4. Tyres have gone completely flat, so I wonder how the car was used for only 30K kms. I drive Ikon (25K) and Maruti 800 (41K) but the tyres are in very good condition.

Need your advice as to what price shopuld I buy it as the dealer is asking for 2.80 lac.

Thanks!

Sandy
Old 24th September 2007, 14:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_0281 View Post
Hi,

Although I know there are very less AT versions in market, but I could manage to find 1 Santro XG Dec. 2004 model with a dealer. The car is registered in Delhi and has done approx. 30K kms.

I am not an expert in 2nd hand models so I could see few scratches on all 4 sides of the car. Car has 1 owner and has the below features.

1. Front Power Windows
2. A/C + Heater
3. Power Steering
4. Tyres have gone completely flat, so I wonder how the car was used for only 30K kms. I drive Ikon (25K) and Maruti 800 (41K) but the tyres are in very good condition.

Need your advice as to what price shopuld I buy it as the dealer is asking for 2.80 lac.

Thanks!
Sandy
Cant be sure if the price is right as it is a Delhi car and prices in different states, differ. The Santro auto is a great car and if theres nothing wrong with it but it. The tyres can get worn out in such a run if the previous owner has been careless about wheel balancing and allignment.
I suggest to take a test drive and check i fthe gear shifts are good smooth and noise free. Check if the kickdown works fine. It is alos possible that the meter has been tampered with. Turn the car fron clock to clock and check for any clicking noise in the front wheels. If that is prevalent then your car needs new CV joints. Check also fro sponginess in the brakes. The brakes should be good and firm. The thing is that very few of these are available in the second hand market so if the car is fine and if the price is right then go for it. Most important is that you should want an auto.
I have one which has clocked 54,000 kms with original tyres and still have around 5K kms left in them
Old 24th September 2007, 16:19   #3

Thanks V-16, Brakes were good as I had a test drive yesterday. AC was fine, pickup was ok.

I need this car for my father.

Need some price estimate ??
Old 25th September 2007, 12:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tyres completely flat in 30K doesn't sound too good. Either the suspension has gone completely bust (improbable) or the owner must have been in a drag. You need to check out more details on this aspect.

I once drove a friend's Santro AT and it was a good experience although I was not very comfortable with the perch since I drive a SUV. I am used to have a bird's eye view from my 3+ feet high seat.. I felt as if I was practically sitting on the road..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_0281 View Post
Hi,

1. Front Power Windows
2. A/C + Heater
3. Power Steering

Thanks!

Sandy
Old 25th September 2007, 17:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I once drove a friend's Santro AT and it was a good experience although I was not very comfortable with the perch since I drive a SUV. I am used to have a bird's eye view from my 3+ feet high seat.. I felt as if I was practically sitting on the road..
Its just opposite with me whenever i sit in santro i feel like i am sitting high,maybe that because i ride a lower car with saet adjusted to lowest.

Most Viewed