Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:12   #16
BHPian

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL ABOUT BUYING FIAT CARS!!

I don't want to be alarmist but I own a Fiat Petra and at least in Mumbai it has been impossible to get any spare parts for Fiat cars. I had to drive with a slightly damaged axle that made horrible noises while turning for two plus months and a lot of calling between Fortune motors and fiat plant in Pune to finally get the parts. I know people who are not able to replace their indicators that were broken and other minor repairs. The service person in Fortune Nerul said 2 months back no parts were available, but now they are trickling in.

Fiat cars are really good value for money, but please check to make sure spare are available. I'm planning to sell my Petra in the next couple of months as soon as I have decided what to replace it with because I do not want to be in this situation again.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Thanks snaronikar.
6.4L is a little steep, but 110bhp is equally tempting
6.2 L in New Delhi (a little less steep but just a little)...

With the Fiat you can never be sure as to when the model will be discontinued. If you wish to keep the car ad infinitum then probably it is a good choice as the resale would be zilch. Swift is decent, should have better resale if you wish to sell it off in a five year time frame and the average is definitely better.

Last edited by thefreak : 3rd October 2007 at 11:31.
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:58   #18
BHPian

My brain is working !

Folks,

Really appreciate all your comments ! I am still weighing in the options and plan to take a look at the Concorde Motors workshop in Bangalore before I commit for the Palio. Yes.....I definitely want power and I want it to be exhilarating too ! Swift is a sureshot winner in all departments but I really REALLY want to be fair in my assessment of Palio before I commit for either. Keep posting your thoughts, the thread trends are beginning to influence me
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:46   #19
BANNED

is the scenario of fiat so bad in india?
im gonna buy palio1.1 this diwali, should i leave it out in favour of a safer option like getz1.1 (overprised)or swift(cramped)?
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:05   #20
BANNED

@fiat owners and experts please give the real picture
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
Folks,

Really appreciate all your comments ! I am still weighing in the options and plan to take a look at the Concorde Motors workshop in Bangalore before I commit for the Palio. Yes.....I definitely want power and I want it to be exhilarating too ! Swift is a sureshot winner in all departments but I really REALLY want to be fair in my assessment of Palio before I commit for either. Keep posting your thoughts, the thread trends are beginning to influence me
rganeshier - Please call your nearest Fiat service station (not the same guys you are buying from!!) and tell them you have a Palio with a broken side mirror - do they have spare parts ready ? I don't know about other parts of india but in mumbai (navi mumbai for sure) spares are very hard to come by. However good the car, don't buy it unless you know spares are readily available because however careful you are sometimes problems happen and even a small part can stop you from driving if not available in time. I really like my Petra but this has come as a big shock to me.
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
The Palio parts most probably will not be available after 5 yrs.However since you do like the Palio 1.6 , why not search for an used . they are available for 1.5 lac onwards. You can satiate your desire to own a Palio and be sure of a comfartable resale if things start going bad in terms of after sales.

THINK ABOUT IT
Its very hard to find a 1.6 these days, atleast not for the price you gave qoted!
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:13   #23
BHPian

Palio 1.1

dr aryan,

I have looked at the 1.1 too but it definetely is not good in terms of basic power. Instead, put your money on Aveo U-VA as it comes in a very attractive combination of looks+decent specs+ride quality.Palio 1.1 is a definite no-no in my books
Old 3rd October 2007, 19:05   #24
BHPian

@ganesh, the way people are saying things about Spares is a serious matter and should be considered with a 'Logic' driven approach. Do seriously rethink that aspect.
Old 3rd October 2007, 21:00   #25
BANNED

there ia a difference of 1.5 lacks rs. between the top end models of palio and others(uva,swift,getz).
thats a hell lot of money.
palio1.1 slx is costing me 3.9 lacks after lot of discounts, while top end of swift,getz and uva all are around 5.5 lacks
Old 3rd October 2007, 22:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

In my last 3.5 years of Palio ownership experience, I had to change bumpers twice, tail-lamps once, and each time the part was readily available at the Fiat ASC.

So fast moving spares are readily available, for other spares you may have to wait for 3 - 4 days to be shipped from Fiat India, and for spares imported from Italy, Brazil etc. may take a bit longer.

Last edited by finneyp : 3rd October 2007 at 22:47.
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_aryan View Post
@fiat owners and experts please give the real picture
dr. i think you should setle for some safer option in case you are scared of being in a situation where you have to wait for a few weeks for the spares to arrive. FIAT is known for their suspensions and build. If these are not your priorities. I strongly suggest against buying a FIAT. But if this is at top of your prioity list i can vouch that you'll wont get this kind of comfort in cars anywhare near this budget.

In case you are interested. I still get parts for my UNO 1.2. I'm not sure of why people find it difficult to get spares for the PAlio which is much more in terms of number of vehicles on the road.
Old 4th October 2007, 15:13   #28
BANNED

thanks gemithomas and finneyp for giving us assurance. i am not scared but was just worried because so many people even in this forum but more so elsewhere have tried to change my mind from buying palio, the car that i really like. people have given reosons from availabilty of spares to *** . but since you guys won the vehicle and are saying there is no difficulty in getting the parts i am rest assured. thanks
Old 4th October 2007, 17:04   #29
BHPian

RE: To buy or not to buy

Go for the palio 1.6

But before you finally decide:
You should be someone who loves driving. Fiat's are not a "mind" decision. they are more of a "heart" decision. What you will get is car that's built like a tank and handles exceptionally well. The FE figures really depend on how you drive. These days my wife has the car most of the time but i still tank up the car, and it's giving 11.4Km/L with almost no AC usage (with AC it gives 10.7Km/L)

---------------
cheers,
Sep 2003, 1.6GTX
Old 4th October 2007, 18:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_aryan View Post
thanks gemithomas and finneyp for giving us assurance. i am not scared but was just worried because so many people even in this forum but more so elsewhere have tried to change my mind from buying palio, the car that i really like. people have given reosons from availabilty of spares to *** . but since you guys won the vehicle and are saying there is no difficulty in getting the parts i am rest assured. thanks
dr. since you are interested. I would just like to give you one suggestion. Drive all the cars around and decide on the one you really feel good sitting and driving. If at all it turns out to be a FIAT, just reconsider that you might have to wait for small parts in case of accidents.

But i always say. It depends on whether you want to compromise for all the 365 days or if you want to drive around in the car you really love owning for 335 days and probably be ready to wait for maybe 30 days for your parts to arrive(slightly exagerated. You surely wont have this waiting period every year )

You wont appreciate a FIAT unless you are really in love with what it actually is all about. Be sure before you decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks