Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 19:05   #1
BHPian

To buy or not to buy ?

Hi folks,

I am in the process of deciding the purchase of my first car (my existing one being a family owned M800). I am looking for a powerful car at a great value for money.....something that I won't be disappointed with when I drive with AC. I have a budget of 5 lakhs (all inclusive ) and looked at SWIFT, U-VA and Palio Stile 1.6. My heart fell for the Palio 1.6 Stile as it's build quality is great, the interiors are decent , the mileage promised was at 9-10 kms at city conditions (and at a price within my budget) but people at my office give a zombied look when I tell them about the choice and remind me of FIAT's fiasco in India, non-existent resale value and poor After Sales Service. The vote seems to be automatically in favour of Swift.

My city driving every month would not exceed 500Kms a month but there would be a short trip to Ooty/ Chikmagalur/Chennai kinda places once in two months atleast. I don't care much about resale value as I intend to keep the car I buy for 5 -7 years atleast (depends on how much I fall in love with it). I like the Swift too but only after the Palio Stile 1.6. I know TATA motors is providing service for FIAT but people are still skeptical.

In these circumstances, I would value your opinion highly on whether my choice should be the Swift VXi or Palio 1.6. I am very particular on owning a hatchback and feel Palio gives whatever I need in that segment. Swift looks good , has power but is a bit cramped inside. Also, I feel the puffed-up design has quite a few blind spots. Your suggestions would be most valued. To buy or not ot buy the Palio 1.6 Sport is the Hamlet question !
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:55   #2
BHPian

Good choice. Since you've already fallen for the Palio 1.6, which was inevitable, it will be very difficult to settle for anything less. Not that the Swift is a lesser car, no sir its not. But, there are bound to be differences between a 1.6 and a 1.3 engine. If you dont wish to be called silly by your peers, close your eyes and buy the Swift. In other words, follow the herd.

Skeptics will always remain skeptics. There are quite a few of us who have owned a Palio since a long time and I can tell you, we've seen the worst. Dont know about others but I feel that service quality has seen a marked improvement after Tata has intervened. What has not improved sadly is the availibility of spares on time. You may have to wait for months together for a few parts. On the other hand, there were quite a few initial niggles with the Swift, including a lot of premature clutch failures. Search for the threads in the technical section to know more. Dont know if they have sorted out the issues with the newer Swifts.

So thats about it. We've discussed tons of info about these two cars in the past. So wont touch on why one is better than the other. Both are good, reliable and brilliant cars with their own set of positives and negatives, just like anything else that exists. But if I were given a chance to own any of these, I'd choose the 1.6 all over again. I dont think I could ever get over that pocket rocket.Good luck bud !
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:09   #3
BANNED

go for palio u wont regret!
Old 2nd October 2007, 18:24   #4
BHPian

Its a great vehicle to own. I have booked the vehicle two days back. very excited to bring it home. Going for Ferrari Red..........................Best Hatchback in India. Getting it on 12th of this month. So go ahead and own the beast. All the best
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ganesh,

There are lot of factors that goes to decide which one to buy. The first and foremost factors what I can feel that has not been coverd in your query is:

1) Space. Is it important to you.
2) What %age u will be using the vehicle?
3) Do you intend to use it as a family car?

You are intending to keep the car to 5~7 years and the availability of spares and *** for Fiat is not know as of now. But if you opt for Maruti, at least the *** and spares are guaranteed that you will get and that to with much lower cost than fiat.

You need to think long term and invest in the car. Just thinking of now and buying a car which is god at present may cause probems afterwards.

You need to consider all the above and hope you take a wise decision. Even though i feel Fiat is better car than Swift at present circumstances.

If you really stretch the budget, I would definatey recommend Getz CRDi which is launched just a couple of days back. It is a good car spacious, power packed, FE, value of money etc......
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

go for the palio. you wont regret it. the after sales service is improving after the tata tie up.
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
If you really stretch the budget, I would definatey recommend Getz CRDi which is launched just a couple of days back. It is a good car spacious, power packed, FE, value of money etc......
What is OTR price of Getz CRDi?
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:37   #8
BHPian

Not meant to derail your plans - but just a different, new thought:
since you said you have highway trips every 2 months, Swift VDI also may be a good bet. I know most will say that your monthly usage is less and diesel is unwarranted, but it is not a bad deal either!!
Good power, good service, gem of an engine, economical - on highways, you can bet on >20 kmpl. My indica gives me 20+.
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

@vabs78: The ex-showroom price in Bangalore is 5.69L. The OTR price maybe around 6.4 L (i guess).......
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:18   #10
BHPian

The Palio parts most probably will not be available after 5 yrs.However since you do like the Palio 1.6 , why not search for an used . they are available for 1.5 lac onwards. You can satiate your desire to own a Palio and be sure of a comfartable resale if things start going bad in terms of after sales.

THINK ABOUT IT
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:10   #11
BHPian

They say 9-10kmpl, i remember Fiat saying the same when i went for a test drive, but after asking a lot of ex-1.6 owners they said "at times 6, maybe 8, if im lucky 9." It is a good car no doubt, it still looks good and ya built quality is top notch and the engine is monstrous. I wanted one for myself but tat was pre TATA-FIAT alliance so i didnt wanna take a chance. The after sales is yet to be tested, as TATA really is not known for its best after sales practise, they still have to get over their HV mindset, but i guess it should be better than what it used to be.
Swift will make a lot more sense, in city gives about 11-12kmpl, a good Euro ncap safety rating, good handling and yea the Maruti service back up. You should not expect much from the interiors as it is not well equipped and plasticky.Maruti also offers customers peace of mind with an engine immobiliser. With the Swift being more a "boys toy" a full range of swift accessories are available in the market to add comfort, convenience and flair.
If it has to be my day to day car it would be the VXi. Fiat tried to change things by 'NV'ing the Palio, but it didnt encourage the people to buy more Palios than Mercs.
There are about a million proud swift owners on our roads, ask them "why to buy or not to buy?"

Last edited by turbolader : 2nd October 2007 at 23:12.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:27   #12
BHPian

Car and Women

Ganesh,
Here is a tip on how you can buy your car. You will know your answers hopefully by the end of my post (if you dont already know it )

Buying a car is like wooing a woman. What do you look for. beauty, brains or features (ahem.. sorry)
you are probably filthy rich if you are able to woo someone with all of that. sorry, straying from the main subject,
Yeah, so cars,... are a matter of
either
heart
or
Cold Logic

If you like cars, you like to polish them and cherish them and take pride in owning a car you wanted, You must get what you covet, the Palio 1.6. Of course you must ensure that you can manage what you get. There is a saying that goes like.. "Be careful what you wish, for you may get it". so, go with your heart, buy a palio, but beware of what you are buying into. She may be too hot to handle and leave holes everywhere.. I meant the cost of keeping a high maintenance.... Wo.. car.

If you are cold logic driven person and dont care two hoots what you drive as long as it is maximum value in every aspect . you have to look elsewhere but Palio for all and sundry reasons already berated in many forums, mags and other places.
Old 3rd October 2007, 00:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@vabs78: The ex-showroom price in Bangalore is 5.69L. The OTR price maybe around 6.4 L (i guess).......
Thanks snaronikar.
6.4L is a little steep, but 110bhp is equally tempting
Old 3rd October 2007, 00:21   #14
BHPian

go for the palio 1.6 because its much superior to the swift in all terms...the after sales service of fiat has become much better after tata has taken responsibility of it so i dont think there is anything to worry about....
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

ganesh. Nobody buys a FIAT because everyone around agreed with their opinion. I'm sure everyone with a FIAT 1.6 or the Adventure would have had to face this same problem of almost all peers looking at them in astonishment(thats not exactly the feeling. Just wanted to be politicaly right!!!) due to their choice. But i'm sure you wont be able to find a full 1% among these owners who would say that its not worth the buy.

Of course you would face issues in getting parts in case of an accident but the normal parts that are required during regular services are quite available and also reasonably priced. And you might not get a guy to pick up your car and drop it back to you with a perfect job done. You might have to be with them to ensure that they take good care of your vehicle.

The F.E figures would really depend on your driving style. If you drive sedately you could get above 9 in city with a/c and above 15 on highways. And if you decide to drive on power mode you will get enough and more power but she would drink your fuel. I guess the least we have recorded here if like 5-7km/l driving consistently at around 170 km/hr. I think it was an adventure. There is a thread here itself.

Now whether to buy the FIAT or the MAruti is a decision you would have to make on your own. Its basically a choice between your heart and your logic. Its like joining the herd or standing out of it. [No offenses please]. All the best and drive safe.

Most Viewed