Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 23:12   #1

Aveo 1.4 Petrol Base Variant or Swift ZX Petrol

Folks

I have to make a decision over the weekend. I am struggling to decide between Swift ZX Petrol and Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 Petrol. The price difference between the two is 50 K ( Aveo obviously being the more expensive) . But Swift ZX has ABS and Airbags while the Chevy has more leg room and better ride. The factors that seem to favoring Swift are high resale and the maruti service network.

I will be using the car for commute to office (30 kms/day), weekend outings and occasional long drives (500 + kms one way).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Amit
Old 12th October 2007, 23:33   #2
BHPian

Hi Amit,

You are infact comparing cars in two segments. Also the comparison is between a hatchback and a sedan. I guess you should first make a choice out of these two. Because both cars are good in their own segment.

A sedan will be more appropriate for your weekend outings and long drives. But of course it comes with a price. For daily commuting and finding a parking place a hatchback is definitely better.

Nirmal
Old 12th October 2007, 23:59   #3

Thanks Nirmal...

Have a quick question....Does anyone have any data on the resale value of GM Chevrolet Aveo? I am assuming it is lower than comparable Maruti cars. But is it really low?

Also any other thought are welcome..

Amit
Old 13th October 2007, 09:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsethi100 View Post
Folks

I have to make a decision over the weekend. I am struggling to decide between Swift ZX Petrol and Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 Petrol. The price difference between the two is 50 K ( Aveo obviously being the more expensive) . But Swift ZX has ABS and Airbags while the Chevy has more leg room and better ride. The factors that seem to favoring Swift are high resale and the maruti service network.

I will be using the car for commute to office (30 kms/day), weekend outings and occasional long drives (500 + kms one way).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Amit
Amit You yourself have the answer. At that price, If you want ABS and Airbags and good resale and Marui Service and dont mind compromising on space and a slightly hard suspension (ofcorse it gives you good handling) . Go for the Swift. Period.

If you want more space. More luxurious feeling interiors. More good Ride. A Boot. 3 yrs/1L warranty. And if you can compromise a little on the not so exhilerating power delivery. Go for the Aveo. But what all are there on the base version. Make a checklist of the goodies like PS, PW, etc that come in the base version.

Personally, i would prefer the Aveo. But the base version....well i need to check the extras that come on that!!!
But there is always a choice of fitting those things at a later stage.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:35   #5

Thanks for the reply Mr. Thomas...I already own a hatch back Santro and this will be my second car... So I am right now more inclined towards an Aveo.

I will be going to the dealership today afternooon to finalize. Will revert once I complete the purchase.

BTW if any guys from Hyderabad read this...which dealership is better in Hyderabad - GM Orange or GM Kun?

Thanks
Amit
Old 13th October 2007, 11:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since u already have a hatch, id suggest u go in or the aveo. Its a decent car with good interiors too. The base model is good, since the LS version has 9only some cosmetic extras which can b added on. Infact the dealer offered me, if i take the base aveo, he can make it look like the LS version, complete with badges and all, for a pittance!
Old 13th October 2007, 11:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If space is not a constraint, go for the Swift Zxi. You'll enjoy driving it.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'd pick the Aveo - It is quite a stunning car and it has been picking up more rapidly now. In fact I think the Aveo in Black looks just too awesome.

Also as you mentioned that you'd be going for the occassional weekend out - It makes more sense to keep a bigger car.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:26   #9

Thanks Jay and theMag...

Jay ...The suggestion on enhancing the base seems good..will check that out with my dealer.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:30   #10

Yep Mr.Kochar, I have read about the black aveo quite often. I will check that one out...wife wants to go for the platinum grey colour though.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

@amit - Yeah I know how that feels - wifey always want sobre colors - I would love to own a black but family always insists on Silver !!

BTW - One of my cousins in Delhi drives a Aveo - She simply loves it. I sat in it the other day and was amazed of how the car looked from Inside. Quite a stunner !!! I think I was in the Tope end LT with In Dash Stereo and everything !! But nevertheless a very good looking car !! Cheers. Varun
Old 13th October 2007, 12:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsethi100 View Post
Thanks Nirmal...

Have a quick question....Does anyone have any data on the resale value of GM Chevrolet Aveo? I am assuming it is lower than comparable Maruti cars. But is it really low?

Amit
Hello Amit,

GM cars have low resale value compared to Maruti. But how long do you plan to keep the car? If it is more than 3 years, then the resale should not worry you that much. The car loses its resale value more in the initial 1-2 years.

I own a Aveo myself and I am extremely happy with it. The facelifted Aveo is defintely a good buy. You could do a search for Aveo and you could find many reviews on Aveo in the forum. Any specific questions feel free to ask.

Nirmal
Old 13th October 2007, 13:03   #13

i would advice you to go for the swift diesel instead...it is an amazing car and it is good to your pocket....you could also go for the gets diesel...110 horse power in such a small car...state of the art crdi engine in a car that looks good too.....will give you amazing performance and fuel ecnomy to boot....
Old 13th October 2007, 14:06   #14

Guys

Thanks for all the advice...Appreciate the same..

Nirmal...Car ownership should be for 3+ years.

I have completed a visit to the GM dealer in Hyderabad and completed a test drive. The test drive vehicle was the old one with the gear shift problem. The test drive vehicle had done 29000 kms. He has committed that the new cars don't have it.

Mr. Kochar as far as colours are concerned...black was ruled out ..because of wifey's firm refusal! So finally there were two colours left in the fray...ivory and icy blue. Here again I liked the ivory and wifey liked the ice blue. So finally we have settled on the ice blue! :-)

Coming to the commercials and here I would need some advice from folks who own the car...I have been quoted on road of 6.33 for the base version.

This includes:
1. Kenwood/Sony Music System
2. Mud flaps
3. Teflon treatment
4. Floor mats
5. Dealer is painting the door handles and rear view mirrors for free.

This does not include
1. Remote Central locking - 4000
2. Seat Covers - 5000

Do you guys think this is a good deal for the base aveo?

Thanks in advance
Amit
Old 13th October 2007, 17:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is a good deal - But I am sure you can get more as Dealers are giving good deals on Aveos here in N.India nowadays.

My Advise - Do not get the Teflon done from the dealer, Instead get a cash discount for that ( I think between 1.5 - 2k ). Get it done aftermarket.

I think you can squeeze him out of a further 10 k or so or get the central & seat covers from him. Also with Diwali less than a month away, you can wait for a further 3 weeks or so and get even sweeter deals. If you are not in that much of a hurry that is !!

Cheers !!! Varun Kochar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks