Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2007, 09:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

The one car that i would say is perfectly a fit for you is the Indica. Petrol or Diesel depends on which one you prefer in terms of initial cost and km done per month. The rear seat has more than enough space and is comfortable too. The new features indica is coming this diwali. I guess you seriously need ot check it out.

Since you said nobody than the driver would drive the car i dont suggest the Palio.The Palio is a drivers car and you need ot take good care of her or you might end up with nighmares where the service people dont even know how to solve the problem. But if you are a car lover and if you're gonna take care of you car. Close your eyes and take the Palio. Its the best among the so called small cars.
Old 19th October 2007, 10:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Even I would suggest an Indica. Steer clear of the white colour though, else the car would be mistaken for a call center cab
Old 19th October 2007, 10:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

My vote: Xeta 1.4 with CNG. That means GLX.

Why?
-> Xeta rear seat comfort is unmatched. Except maybe Getz.
-> CNG is needed because you wouldn't want the driver to steal petrol. That is an additional expense of 1k+ in any liquid fuel car As for worries of speed, you will anyways be in crawling traffic. With 1.4 engine, you still get good pickup with lambda system. CNG runs at 1.1 Rs/km in Delhi and even better on highways
-> Xeta only has service niggles. But TATA is well supported there (esp in Panvel there is Fortune motors Panvel) and having a driver means niggles aren't bothering your dad.
-> Lastly, Xeta is total VFM
Old 19th October 2007, 14:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes i forgot of the Xeta 1.4. I think that would be a good option. But do you reall need that extra power?
Old 19th October 2007, 14:44   #20
BHPian

My choice will be palio...but just check A.S.S in your place before you take a call...
Old 19th October 2007, 20:59   #21

thanks for the reply

Wow so many replies in such a short time…

From the posts it seems I should go for a Getz, palio or an indica. (I feel so too … the maruti’s ….in our budget don’t have good rear seat comfort though they are very reliable in A.S.S.)

Getz base version just manages to fall in my budget, looking at the features on offer is seems to me that it is comparable to the Palio Stile 1.1 SL (plus the body colored bumpers (I might be wrong here)). The cost difference is 60k (not accounting the discounts offered, which I feel would be higher for the palio) … I suppose the newer platform, better A.S.S., etc account for the same…. Not sure whether the engines (12 Vs 8 valves respectively) or gears etc are better in getz (please guide me here).

I hear the palio has a higher cabin noise in comparison to the getz,

Getz I hear is expensive to maintain amongst the three.

But feature wise I would get much more if we spend on a palio.

But also most importantly the A.S.S. is very bad it seems for Palio and we can’t afford a long down time.

Tata indica has a lot of features on offer …. Since fuel costs are not an issue for us… I suppose I should not go for the diesel …. But I hear the petrol variants of indica are crude and also the built quality is not so good, is this true?? What do indica owners feel?? … . The newer indica with airbags and ABS is out of our budget. The indica parts I feel should be the cheapest and servicing cost the lowest too.

Any ideas about when the 16 valve version would be launches, is getz worth the extra money?? The palio is comparable to the getz… so why is it offered so cheap?? Would long term owning of the indica be good keeping in mind the ageing of the car??

I like the looks of the palio amongst the three, have friends who are happy owners of palio who love to talk about how great the car is but have also seen them real worried when the parts were not available in 2005–06…. Don’t know about the situation now… Navi Mumbai/ Mumbai owners of the palio please reply….

How much would it cost to fit front power windows in the stile….
SL does not come with body colored bumpers…. SLE has front power windows…. Want to know much I would have to pay for body colored bumpers.)

Now that we have zeroed out the three most probable hatchbacks it’s even more confusing… please guide me …

-Thanks.
Old 19th October 2007, 23:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Another vote for Getz - great leg room at the back for a hatch, good ride quality and good A.S.S. You may ignore the 1.3 version as you'd not be driving it or taking it out of town often and also for the fact that it is costlier.
Old 20th October 2007, 02:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM360 View Post
Not sure whether the engines (12 Vs 8 valves respectively) or gears etc are better in getz (please guide me here).
Engine is better in Getz no doubt, I felt the Palio gearbox to be slightly better, but the Getz is no slouch either.

Quote:
But I hear the petrol variants of indica are crude and also the built quality is not so good, is this true??
The petrol is more acceptable than the diesel indica in terms of crudeness, but the build quality isn't very good on the inside, yes but the suspension et al are designed to take on the worst of our roads.
Quote:
Any ideas about when the 16 valve version would be launches,
If you're talking about the Palio then I really doubt such a thing would happen - 'coz that would affect their low price advantage adversely.
Quote:
The palio is comparable to the getz… so why is it offered so cheap??
My guess - old dies, old engine, high localization.

Other questions only the owners of the respective vehicles can answer.
Old 20th October 2007, 05:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@MM360 - When the Palio was initially launched, it was compared to the Santro/WagonR etc and that is the way it is percieved still.
The 1.1lt engine just adds to it. No one will pay 4L for a 1.1lt Palio, even Fiat enthusiasts won't. The 1.6 however, is comparable to the Swift and Getz and is priced similarly.
Old 20th October 2007, 09:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much would it cost to fit front power windows in the stile….
SL does not come with body colored bumpers…. SLE has front power windows…. Want to know much I would have to pay for body colored bumpers.)

Now that we have zeroed out the three most probable hatchbacks it’s even more confusing… please guide me …

-Thanks.

If your budget is 4.5L why are you looking at the SLE version. The SLX version is within your budget. Feature wise that isthe most VFM car in that category. But still for a "driver maintained" car i would suggest the indica.
Old 20th October 2007, 11:04   #26
BHPian

I guess the base version of the Aveo-UVA is also within your reach. Its 4L ex-showroom with AC, PS and BC bumpers(No PW though). Also it comes with the Chevy 3Yr/1 Lac Km. warranty. Backseat comfort is really good from what i've heard.
Otherwise the indica fits perfectly in your budget and offers great comfort on the backseat. Though long-term reliability is still a ??
Old 20th October 2007, 13:35   #27

I feel the Indica and the palio best fit my budget and requirements...

couple of questions :

1) plan on using the car for more than 5-6 years... which car would be the best amongst...getz, palio, indica. (our 800 is 13 year old and the resale evaluater was like "sab gaadi bahut accha maintain kiya hai", i like cars a lot. i take good care of it .)

2) if i manage to make my father buy the palio and it konks off, i am sure to get major kicks on my bum.

- is it reliable ?? service i hear is decent.. i stay in navi mumbai so closer to pune (Moral fibre) also since less palios are being sold the fiat staff is very responsive to queries and complains.

3) sure i would save money on the indica., but will it come and bite me when i am on the 5th -6th year of using it ?? (meaning will i kick myself for the decision) >>>

4) Getz just manages to fit in my budget
- meaning i cant go for a music system, good sunfilm, good seat covers etc.

i am swaying towards the palio, but scared of the A.S.S. reports i have read on this forum and from friends.
i have read somewhere that FIAT will manufacture the parts atleast for the next 6 years for the palio, also since the new adventure is "supposed" to be launched soon, Linea, Grand Punto etc.
hope FIAT wont leave me high and dry if i go for the palio.

i guess i have to decide between the palio and the xeta.. what are the views on this...

by the way saw the PA/i10 spy pics on the forum ... from the pics it seems its a drivers car. dont know how the rear seats are, besides i dont think there will be any discounts on it...heard people have started to book it etc..

please reply
Old 20th October 2007, 14:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
couple of questions :

1) plan on using the car for more than 5-6 years... which car would be the best amongst...getz, palio, indica. (our 800 is 13 year old and the resale evaluater was like "sab gaadi bahut accha maintain kiya hai", i like cars a lot. i take good care of it .)

2) if i manage to make my father buy the palio and it konks off, i am sure to get major kicks on my bum.

- is it reliable ?? service i hear is decent.. i stay in navi mumbai so closer to pune (Moral fibre) also since less palios are being sold the fiat staff is very responsive to queries and complains.

3) sure i would save money on the indica., but will it come and bite me when i am on the 5th -6th year of using it ?? (meaning will i kick myself for the decision) >>>

4) Getz just manages to fit in my budget
- meaning i cant go for a music system, good sunfilm, good seat covers etc.

i am swaying towards the palio, but scared of the A.S.S. reports i have read on this forum and from friends.
i have read somewhere that FIAT will manufacture the parts atleast for the next 6 years for the palio, also since the new adventure is "supposed" to be launched soon, Linea, Grand Punto etc.
hope FIAT wont leave me high and dry if i go for the palio.

i guess i have to decide between the palio and the xeta.. what are the views on this...

by the way saw the PA/i10 spy pics on the forum ... from the pics it seems its a drivers car. dont know how the rear seats are, besides i dont think there will be any discounts on it...heard people have started to book it etc..

please reply

If reliability and A.S.S. is primary concern then go for Getz even though it means stretching your budget to the limit. It has a decent ride quality as well.

If you are looking for best ride and build quality then go for Palio

Indica would be the best compromise however I wouldn't recommend keeping it for 5 or 6 years. My indica is 3 years old and some niggles are beginning to show up. If you do decide on indica, please make sure you buy extended warranty.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:23   #29
BHPian

Any car requires regular maintenance to be in good shape, especially the engine. The advantage of the palio is that its body is built tougher than any other in its class, and the FIRE engines are pretty tough when it comes to build. It is as reliable a performer as any other, if not better, the only issue being availability of spares - to ensure good maintenance - which is being addressed through the Tata tie up, but only owners can confirm if things are any better now.

As for the Getz being too basic, didn't you say that power windows et al weren't important? Then why are you worried about it not having the accessories?
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:09   #30
BHPian

A extended warranty pack from TATA is available in the following options

18+18/18+36/18+42 or 48

Which means that it keeps your Bum safe for at least 4.5 years, and if you do keep it in good shape it will last you the period you are looking at, in any case 3 years is a good enough time in this age after which failures can happen to any car any make.

The Indica will remain cost effective in terms of spares, and Built like Tank shell is safer,sturdier and is long lasting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks