Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2007, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Verna VGT/ Getz Diesel/Safari2.2

After going through various reports, inputs and experiences - which are mostly mixed reports on Verna, I have decided to put my post here.
I own a Viva CRDi and it has clocked 60500+ today. Have already spoken to Firstchoice for selling and got a quote of 4.2 lakhs. I was seriously considering Verna CRDi SX ABS for replacement. I commute 80 kms daily to and fro work approx 25 in city conditions and 55 on highways( more open roads). Max I do on these roads till city is 120-130 mostly. On weekends I drive to any destinations just to enjoy the drive and have been very satisfied with the car. Just 2 punctures till date and one breakdown( after parking in garage- tried to run it for some reason and it didnt start- figured out- battery conked off( 11 days left in completing two years).

The Exide battery that I fitted now gives a miss sometimes as I feel it has something to do with the Amps the original came with and the one this gives( original was also Exide).

Now the problem is that after reading all the reports and feedbacks- I am scared. Is this car( Verna VGT) really unstable at speeds above 130? I do go on soem real good drives around 150 on Baroda Ahmedabad and Mumbai- Pune Expressways and I have been so comfortable on these roads in this car. Seamless and endless power delivery. The car feels better at higher speeds. In fact so comfortable at speeds beyond 120 and pulls so nicely even in top gear.

Sam & hellstar in their posts have mentioned that the car doesnt inspire confidence at higher speeds. Most roads( except GQ) have fair share of small bumps/ uneven surfaces and turns and ups and downs and considering my needs/ hobbies- things I like to do, do you still suggest that I should go for Verna in exchange for Viva CRDi- I am losing almost 3 lakhs here ( purchased Jan 2005 for 7.2) and 2lakhs ( total 5) in DP for Verna .
But I love to switch to a car which is better than Viva CRDi in all repsects- including handling and stability at high speeds.

Featurewise - I like Verna coz of 2 din, ABS and disc( all four) and driver seat height.

Have been postponing Pete's for Viva an Mags too and 130/110 rally( I have a pairs- but didnt want to touch the wirings due to warranty issue) but in this new car - I would luv to do everything- Pete's , Mags- & tyres upgrade - for ride handling and performance- no comfort( unlike Sam) , so please, give your advise.

1. Should I look at some other car?- Can stretch budget just a bit more and all that comes to mind is - Skoda Rider, Magnum( TCDi) and nothing else but I would luv to a performing car with good FE and Verna is best in these aspects.
2. In case, no then which is meeting most of the requirements , in you opinion.
3. Please, recommend tyre upgrade with rims( the best options for Performance and handling). I have read various threads and posts on this. Still a customised!! reply for me will be highly appreciated.
4. Pete's after how much mileage?
5.Ceramic holders and relay is must with Rally 130/110?
thanks.

I can also consider Getz diesel- but waiting period is very long and no ABS, so I am not too keen.

And for a second car- I was too confused between Hyundai PA ( i10) hoping that it gets launched soon and on the other hand a Safari. Safari for lure of it and PA( automatic) for economy and convenience of it being an auto.

I have ruled out Octavia rider auto - because its underpowered now and likely to get a upgraded version mid 2008 and hence, resale value may hit.

I dont intend to keep a car longer than 3 years and hence, good resale value is also important. But in case of Safari , if no hassles then may keep for longer( 4 years-warranty period).

So could be it be in a combination-

1. Getz VGT& Safari ( EX 4*4)- middle option but no ABS , Airbag etc.(approx. 17 lakhs)

2. Verna & PA - ( 14.5 lakhs) but will miss Safari and then whats the point then ?( I dont think I ll go for this option- )

3. Safari & PA - one for city and one for long drives.( approx 15.5 lakhs).

4. Verna & Safari- costliest option-( total 19.5 lakhs).but would be so good I guess.

May I have your valuable opinions and advises, please.
Old 24th October 2007, 14:35   #2
BHPian

test drove it a couple of times. Safari 2.2 litre with 32kgm torque and 140 bhp . Liked 4*4 model very much but cheapest 4*4 is costing 10.5 lakhs and doesn’t have ABS and EBD ( option also not there)and hence, was little confused. Then went to see verna- an average car but readily available its costing 9.24 lakhs on road so saving 1 lakh approx and it comes with climate control and 2 din music system with cassette player and mp3 and also tweeters are there. Have booked one with all 4 disc brakes and ABS in real earth color. Delivery in 10 days max and would like to take it around Diwali.
Best thing is that car is readily available while for 4*4 was asked to wait for minimum 3 weeks and then on top of it for Verna got 29000/- discount ( 10k for loyalty bonus as I am a existing Hyundai customer, 12K – delaer discount and 7k – corporate discount. Safari can wait!!

Last edited by shatrughna : 24th October 2007 at 14:37.
Old 25th October 2007, 09:37   #3
BHPian

I cant really comment on what choice of vehicle you finally decide on. But I would like to add, that the Verna's handling is as good or as bad as the Accent. If you were comfortable with the handling of the accent at 150+ speeds, you will not face any handling issues with the Verna.
Old 25th October 2007, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just in case you are interested. I would suggest something like this
Right Now. Ford Fusion 1.6

The Handling and power of this car is really good. The only problem is that it has a stiff ride that contribtes ot better handling. I guess thats exacly what you are looking for. Additionally you save something like around 3L than going in for the verna. (which could be used for your increased petrol expenses over the years of ownership)Just take a test drive. I think they offer ABS if you order for one. But surely there would be a waiting Period.

After 6 months (Read it as after test runs) - the Safari VVT Dicor 2.2

By this time you can be sure that tata would sort out any of the minor glicthes that come with anything new offered by TATA. And you could enjoy the Safari with enough power and less issues.

How does that sound like.

Last edited by gemithomas : 25th October 2007 at 10:31.
Old 25th October 2007, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi shatrughna,

I have responded to most of your queries here and yes another user Dwind has also given his views on the new Verna SX ABS, quoting his real life experience with his own news Verna SX with ABS

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-2.html
Old 25th October 2007, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Since you are a Hyundai satisfied customer Verna and PA sound a good combination. Verna has softer suspension and we have reviews stating that the car do not handle as good as Accent above 120-130. Probably this might be beacuse of the undersized rubber on VGTs.
Old 25th October 2007, 10:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Verna has softer suspension and we have reviews stating that the car do not handle as good as Accent above 120-130. Probably this might be beacuse of the undersized rubber on VGTs.
I understand the latest versions of Verna have better rubbers and something has been done about the suspensions they are much better now.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I understand the latest versions of Verna have better rubbers and something has been done about the suspensions they are much better now.
Thats a good news, I would love to upgrade to Verna VGT eventually. But I still see the 175 rubber on the new ones including the SX ABS. (I go to Advaith sevice centre on Mission road, so I see a lot of VGTs & VGT SX at the stock yard)
Old 25th October 2007, 12:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

Why do you need 4x4? If you are talking about Verna and Getz, 2wd is what you should compare. The Safari LX will cost around 8 on road.
That said, a saloon will be better handler at high speeds than a SUV any day. So if you are looking at 130kmph speeds, the Verna will be more manageable.
Old 25th October 2007, 14:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
I cant really comment on what choice of vehicle you finally decide on. But I would like to add, that the Verna's handling is as good or as bad as the Accent. If you were comfortable with the handling of the accent at 150+ speeds, you will not face any handling issues with the Verna.
thanks a ton. thats so re-assuring. Finally I got some responses to my queries.
Old 25th October 2007, 14:30   #11
BHPian

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Just in case you are interested. I would suggest something like this
Right Now. Ford Fusion 1.6

The Handling and power of this car is really good. The only problem is that it has a stiff ride that contribtes ot better handling. I guess thats exacly what you are looking for. Additionally you save something like around 3L than going in for the verna. (which could be used for your increased petrol expenses over the years of ownership)Just take a test drive. I think they offer ABS if you order for one. But surely there would be a waiting Period.

After 6 months (Read it as after test runs) - the Safari VVT Dicor 2.2

By this time you can be sure that tata would sort out any of the minor glicthes that come with anything new offered by TATA. And you could enjoy the Safari with enough power and less issues.

How does that sound like.
I test drove the car you said. It definitely gives a great feeling and I liked it but being a petrol- somehow, I can pay more upfront but not on monthly bills for fuel- and FE was an issue plus Ford - after sales and service costs - I didnt get very encouraging reports. Hence, perhaps Hyundai appealed more. In case they launch 1.6 duratorq fiesta with auto / semi auto transmission ,then sure it will replace Verna.

And Safari !! yes , yes , yes - before monsoons for sure. thanks
Old 25th October 2007, 14:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why do you need 4x4? If you are talking about Verna and Getz, 2wd is what you should compare. The Safari LX will cost around 8 on road.
That said, a saloon will be better handler at high speeds than a SUV any day. So if you are looking at 130kmph speeds, the Verna will be more manageable.
Thanks for responding. Thats a love for 4*4s - I drove them in Army and wish to go to hills and deserts and then on the GQ- through Bihar too and for a real long drive - approx. 40-50 days I think I would love to get a Safari and 4*4. However, since, I have decided to wait, I will also be able to check out the much awaited Scorpio 2.2 before taking a final call.

Anyone could please, enlighten me on the mag wheels and tyres for Verna for performance and handling at high speeds? I wish to upgrade to 15 inchers. Have enquired with dealers here - and the same is available in the range of 32 to 42 thousand ( minus trade in the stocks- 10000/-).
But the specifications of make of the tyre I dont know which would be better- michelin, yoko, dunlop( cheapest), bridgestones!

Petes is costing 32500/- plus filters 5000/- Mags and tyres 15"- approx. 32K( overall) and then also getting 6 sensors park assist with display - 4200/- . exhausted ( money, not me!!) with these so V kool will wait till new year .( asking for 11k). But tyre specs - please, your recommendations.
Old 25th October 2007, 14:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

my suggestion is go for 195/55 r15. it will be fine. then get your parking sensors. then get your sunfilm.

wait till the first service at least for your car to run in properly. then get the petes tuning box and an air filter.
Old 25th October 2007, 15:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
my suggestion is go for 195/55 r15. it will be fine. then get your parking sensors. then get your sunfilm.

wait till the first service at least for your car to run in properly. then get the petes tuning box and an air filter.
Ok. That I suppose I saw somewhere else, too that Pete's should be installed after at least first service. I read a reply from Turboindia( Peter) that its not for any technical reason but more for the reason that unless one drives stock car before installing Pete's, one would not feel the difference!! but I ll certainly go by your advise and will wait till first service ( run in).

Tyres 195/55 - fine , which make would you suggest ( for performance at high speeds- read better handling ). Please.
Old 25th October 2007, 15:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

look at yokohama s-drives. you will like them and they suit your requirements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks