Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2004, 18:09   #1
Tom
BHPian

Hello,
Dont know if this comparison has already beed discussed here.
Need to buy a used small car less than 2yrs old.

Ive come down to either the Wagon R or Santro.

Which is better in terms of:
mileage
space
resale value
driving comfort
maintenance
cost of parts
service

thanks in advance

TOM
Old 15th June 2004, 18:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey pal

In the same order as u mentioned here's the cars and their upsmanship

Mileage: Expect the Wagon-R to give you a slightly better mileage by say 1 kmpl.

Space:- Both cars are very good in terms of space but two factors that go against the Santro are its harder seats and the lack of flexibility and arrangement possibilities, both available in the Wagon-R. Also in terms of ingress and egress the Wagon-R is marginally better.

Resale value:- The Santro holds better than the Wagon-R. But the difference would not be more than 10k.

Driving Comfort:- The Santro and Wagon-R are equally good. Tough to say which one is better than the other. I have read complaints of poor visibility thru the A-pillar in the Wagon-R, but having now lived with my Matiz which is even more notorious for the last 4.5 years, its not really much a problem.

Maintenance:- Santro would have more maintenance schedules than The Wagon-R. If i am correct it needs a service once every 7500 kms while the Wagon-R needs attention only at 10000 kms.

Cost of parts:- Nearly equal but expect the Wagon-R to be slightly cheaper in regularly changed parts and parts that are most affected during accidents like bumper, fender etc.

Service:- Both have excellent service setups. Maruti has more service centres while Hyundai's service is a little more personalized like giving you a spare car while your accidented car lies in the garage.

Overall the Wagon-R is a better pick. But only just. Kindly note i am not taking the Xing but the Santro Zip-plus in the picture since there are more of them rather than Xings in the second hand market. Also performance-wise both are nearly equal hitting 100 in 16 odd seconds. Top speeds are 145 for the Santro and 151-152 for the Wagon-R.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2004, 19:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

i agree with Revv.
the maruti is anytime a more better buy,also the wagon R is more versatile in the rear.
Old 15th June 2004, 19:43   #4
BHPian

Also depends on how many people you inetnd to Carry at the rear. I think wagon r is a bit too cramped at the rear than the santro , Except for that I find the Wagon R better than the santro in all aspects

Earlier versions of the santro had a 1 liter engine which had 55 odd horses. You have to keep that in mind when u are on the look for a used Car
Old 15th June 2004, 23:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

go for waonR
revv has clearly stated all the points.

cheers
lamborghini
Old 16th June 2004, 01:41   #6
F50
Senior - BHPian

Tom, according to me dont count off Santro so easily.... Looks wise I prefer Santro than R .... but Maruti is very trusted name in India but Koreans have given them a real run for their money ....
Old 16th June 2004, 02:57   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I don't have much to add to what revv has ... stated.

but.. yeah... Santro's front seats.. don't go anywhere as far back as wagonRs.

And since u are looking for second-hand... it would really depend .. on the .. car u r getting... i.e. how well maintained.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks