Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2004, 16:56   #1
BANNED

Hey guys, My friend is in a slight dilemna... he has owned a indica diesel for the last three years and done about 88,000 kms on it ( ) ! Now he's selling it off for watever he gets from the market and wants to shift 2 a petrol vehicle, but he cant decide as to which one. We test drove the petrol indica and it felt very similar to the Palio as far as comfort and space went .

So now u guys pls help me on this, anyone owning a indica petrol --- give ur experiences !
Old 26th June 2004, 18:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey pal...

I dont own a Petrol Indica but yes a friend of mine certainly does. The main reason one goes in for the Inbdica is for the space and comfort like you mentioned. Apart from that theres nothing really in the favour of the Indica petrol. The Indica diesel is very cheap to run but the petrol is quite the opposite. The petrol Indica is a very thirsty car and with rising fuel prices it isnt really a good proposition. Also I've heard the car heats up with use of the air con.

Is your friend planning a brand new car or a pre owned one. Other options to check out is are the Esteem if he wants a saloon .. a Wagon R is very practical . he could check out the new Palio NV though I really dont know how fuel efficient it is but its a great car and Fiats A S S is slowly improving.

Hope this helps

Dippy
Old 26th June 2004, 19:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Khaadu,

9 out of 10 Indicas sold are diesel...and for a good reason. When an Indian buys an econo-diesel hatch, he dosent care much about refinement. KPL is the only word with weightage.

But in Petrol cars - refinement, driving pleasure/ease, trouble free maintenance are priorities and rightly so. The Indica loses out on each of these components to the competition by a huge margin. Its horribly crude, the gear shift is like a rubber eraser, very bad on fuel....There is just no reason to consider an Indica in petrol guise.

Advice your friend on a Palio NV. Its lightyears ahead in technology, refinement and build quality of the Indica. Its got the space that his Indica must have gotten him used to. On the other hand, uf he wants to play it safe, ask him to also consider a Santro Xing.

GTO
Old 26th June 2004, 19:53   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Even I'd suggest the palio rather than the indica. Indica is quite good in diesel. Not so much in petrol. The second option as GTO suggests could be the Santro Xing or Wagon R.
Old 26th June 2004, 20:48   #5
Max
BHPian

suggest your friend to go for Xing or waggon R. *What others have said is true. Indica petrol have very less mileage and tata's are not good in making petrol cars.

Old 26th June 2004, 20:56   #6
BANNED

Thnx guys ... just what I was telling him -- the esteem according to me is the best buy !! TOTAL VALUE FOR MONEY ..
Old 26th June 2004, 20:57   #7
BANNED

lol ... Just passed him your guys opinion and I'm sure we have another Bhp'ian on his way !!!
Old 27th June 2004, 01:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

just as the others said
tell him to go for a palio nv
my palio 1.6 gave me more FE than my indica petrol.
second option is the maruti wagonR cause of its so so looks , awesome reliability , power , FE , space ........
even the santro is quite good but not as good as wagonR in respects such as the power vs FE game
Old 27th June 2004, 02:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (khaadu75 @ June 26 2004,15:26)]Hey guys, My friend is in a slight dilemna... he has owned a indica diesel for the last three years and done about 88,000 kms on it ( * ) ! Now he's selling it off for watever he gets from the market and wants to shift 2 a petrol vehicle, but he cant decide as to which one. We test drove the petrol indica and it felt very similar to the Palio as far as comfort and space went .

So now u guys pls help me on this, anyone owning a indica petrol --- give ur experiences !
read july autocar for your answer,tell ur friend to spend a wise 60rs on the autocar instead of a bad 4-5lakhs.

Most Viewed