Old 30th September 2004, 01:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

well
i was in the same dilemma as u were in sometime ago
my brother wanted a small city acr with the same budget
so the list is like this-

if u want a good FE petrol car - alto lxi
diesel car - indica dls

if u want space, sturdiness , quality , looks and dont mind a low FE - palio nv - avg 1 kmpl less than that of santro
same as above but with good FE - indica diesel dls

if u want headroom and a good blend of power and economy - wagonR
power and quality - santro , palio
a mix and match of all - indica diesel dls

guys i hate to admit this but for people who are not true enthusiasts - the indica diesel is the winner..

but for many team-bhp ites who want the enthusiastic feel and adreline rush in small segments its the palio 1.6 GTX - new or pre owned
Old 30th September 2004, 13:37   #17
BHPian

Indica seems to be the best fit here , however little gamble if you pick the right piece ?. If you can live with slight niggling problem, go for it. That would compensate you on FE and a much bigger car.

The other option would be Santro Xing or Wagon R, depends enitrely on your choice. More or less similar If you put aside the looks. More predictable and would run on petrol.

Tarun
Old 1st October 2004, 12:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 29 2004,18:53)] So you dont need to travel 2000 kms/month to recover the price differential
That brings a good point...I have not been able to fully understand whats the reason for 2000 km/month...asked a ex-Maruti person owning an Indica V2 ..and he told that run shud be more than 2500 km..

Can anyone explain the maths of how costs compare (the cost of ownership)..

~maniac
Old 1st October 2004, 14:05   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Serious maniac, the major cost addition in a diesel car can be broadly classified as:

1. Purchase price (Indian car makers charge about a 1 lac premium on diesel vs petrol)
2. Maintenance (Oil filters are more expensive. Oil change and service frequency is more.)

Therefore, people generalise in saying that only 2000+ kms a month would help you in recovering the additional costs you incur with a diesel car.

But the Indica diesel and petrol are very closely priced. Even Skoda does not differentiate in the pricing of the petrol and diesel octavia (thats why 90% you will see are diesels) though some extras are skimmed on the 1.9 tdi.

GTO
Old 1st October 2004, 17:08   #20
BHPian

want to get it clear ...cos i about hear it from so many people but havent been able to work out the maths ..

just to take the running cosst i.e. if we forget the fixed cost (the 1 lac premium in case of most car makers), then what could be the break-even point (km/month) and how??....say in case of Indica Diesel or Palio D

~maniac
Old 10th May 2012, 20:37   #21
BHPian

Re: Which car to buy???

I am into Electrical business and I own a Toyota qualis FS 2004 Model, It is a 10 seater vehicle, we use this for both family as well as our workshop purpose. Now we want to go for a new vehicle. Please let me know which vehicle to go for, by the way I am also retaining my qualis as well.

My options:
Chevy Tavera 10 seater
Mahindra Scorpio 9 seater

Please let me know your suggestions.

I will be keeping this vehicle for a long time, it should serve me as my Qualis.

As of my little gyan I know there is no substitute for qualis, I am completely relying on our BHP pandits
Old 11th May 2012, 08:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
Chevy Tavera 10 seater
Please let me know your suggestions.I will be keeping this vehicle for a long time, it should serve me as my Qualis.
Since you are already pampered by the reliability Qualis offered, why not look for the Innova? I agree it is pricier, but since you are going to retain it for a long time, it would make sense to go for it. It will be the perfect replacement for Qualis.

Additionally, you can look for the new Xylo instead of the Tavera.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 11th May 2012 at 08:54.
Old 13th May 2012, 13:07   #23
BHPian

Finally the day has come!

I'm gonna purchase my first car and now I understand what it is like to be really being confused and being pampered with multiple options(?) and tech specs.

Here are the pre-conditions -
  • Its for a family of 4 adults (as of now!).I do see cases where all 4 of us would be travelling together often. - spacious
  • Car will be driven mostly in a small town with not much traffic and decent roads. - driving condition
  • I do not foresee the monthly run to exceed 250 km. - usage
  • When I'm out of town my dad would be using it (He has learnt driving very recently) - ease of driving
  • Boot space is a factor to consider, as there would be cases where we would be using it to carry some farm products back home for our usage.
  • last but not least, Budget - 5 Lakh
I live in a place bordering Kerala and I have decided to buy the car in that state itself. I would be filling the fuel mostly there. (All thanks to tax regime in place in Karnataka).

I have these cars in mind -

Petrol
Brio - I just fell in love with this car for its looks,engine and what it offers as a package and I would standout in "crowd", at least as of now.
i10 - Reliable , tested , proven product.
A-star Automatic - ease of driving,no other factor impressed me.
Swift - Same reason as i10 and idea of being part of a herd.
Ritz - Falls within budget and heard/read few good things about it.
Beat - VFM package.
i20 - Very spacious and good looking car with some cool features. that's it.

Diesel
Only diesel i could afford in this budget limit is Beat diesel.Hence included.

Now the obvious question - Which one should I go for ?
Appreciate your help and time.
Old 13th May 2012, 14:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Looking at the options list (Swift and Ritz) I must say you should go for Jazz (1st preference) or Ritz (2nd Preference).
You will never regret your decision.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 14:27   #25
BHPian

Recently took a drive in a Ritz diesel taxi, about 220 km in Kerala. The car had done about 55k kms but the drive was very good. Good engine pickup, good braking, cornering, back seat comfort etc I am 6ft and 98kg, no problem in the rear... There were 3 adults including the driver.
Old 13th May 2012, 21:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
With a little bit of extending your budget you can get Fort Figo Diesel too. But coming back to your query

1. Ritz - Easy to drive and light on pocket as it is Maruti
2. i20 - This is a good car but the minus point here is mileage
3. Beat - Not a spacious one

Last edited by bblost : 13th May 2012 at 21:57. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post in full. Thanks.
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 09:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Its for a family of 4 adults (as of now!).I do see cases where all 4 of us would be travelling together often. - spacious
  • Boot space is a factor to consider, as there would be cases where we would be using it to carry some farm products back home for our usage.
The one thing I can notice in your requirements is that you need space. Also, monthly running is around 250 kms, so Petrol variant will suffice for you. B+ segment cars will be best suited for you, but you would need to stretch your budget a bit. Do consider and look for test drives of the cars i20 and Jazz. Both are very spacious and easy to drive in the city. I personally havent tried Polo and Figo, hence cant comment on that.

The hatchbacks you have listed are not that spacious on the inside (personal opinion), but are great value for money vehicles and would suit your budget easily. If extending your budget is a problem, then look for i10 and Ritz.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 13:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
I am into Electrical business and I own a Toyota qualis FS 2004 Model, It is a 10 seater vehicle, we use this for both family as well as our workshop purpose. Now we want to go for a new vehicle. Please let me know which vehicle to go for, by the way I am also retaining my qualis as well.

My options:
Chevy Tavera 10 seater
You should definitely consider the innova. It is way better than the tavera and the scorpio but it also more expensive so it depends on your budget. Considering your going to keep the car for a long time it may be worth putting in some extra money and going for the innova. It is the most reliable car in that segment and very comfortable too.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Can anyone explain the maths of how costs compare (the cost of ownership)..

~maniac
I think there is a thread that explains the math -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...diesel-16.html

Just 1 year after that thread was posted last I see that the situation is opposite of what the last person predicted. Petrol prices have sky rocketted (from Rs. 50s to 70s) while diesel price increase has been moderate (Still in Rs. 40s).

Just to give a simple math -

Diesel cars cost about 1 Lakh more than petrol counterparts in Indica the difference is lesser.

1L kept in Bank will be 1,26,825 Rs. @ 8% interest compounded qtrly at the end of 3 years.

Petrol indica gives 14 km/lt (Max) while diesel gives 18 kmpl or more(here I have taken average of some of the posts in the efficiency thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fficiency.html).

If you run 1000 km a month then -

Cost for petrol = 1000/14*75= 5350
Cost of Diesel = 1000/18*46.6 = 2600

difference in cost /month = 2750
difference in cost over 3 years = 99000.
interest earned at 8% for 2750/month savings over 3 years = Rs.13000
total savings for diesel car = 112000
Additional cost of maintenance and spares over 3 years = 15000 Rs. (Maximum)
higher selling price of diesel indica over petrol at the end of 3 years = Rs. 1,00,000(Carwale.com)

savings due to Diesel car over 3 year period vis-a-vis petrol =112000+100000-15000-126000=Rs. 71,000

If one buys indica Diesel the ROI period is 18 months if he/she drives 1000 kms a month and ROI period is lower if the car is driven more.
Old 18th May 2012, 16:25   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Given your need state and budget - my suggestion is below;

First Choice: I 20
Second Choice: Brio
Third Choice: Ritz/ Swift/ A Star/ I 10

I 20 because it is large and spacious in comparison to the other cars. It is actually a car from a segment above but I guess at 5 lac you would manage only the base petrol variant.

The Brio is a very nice car indeed and will give you a good deal of fun and utility over the medium term.
Swift,Ritz, I 10 are very boring.

The I 20 looks good and offers good value so I would recommend it.

I like the Brio because it is quirky looking and cute.

However, basis your outlined requirement, it makes sense to buy an I 20 over the Brio.

Quote:

I'm gonna purchase my first car and now I understand what it is like to be really being confused and being pampered with multiple options(?) and tech specs.

Here are the pre-conditions -
  • Car will be driven mostly in a small town with not much traffic and decent roads. - driving condition
  • I do not foresee the monthly run to exceed 250 km. - usage
  • When I'm out of town my dad would be using it (He has learnt driving very recently) - ease of driving
I live in a place bordering Kerala and I have decided to buy the car in that state itself. I would be filling the fuel mostly there. (All thanks to tax regime in place in Karnataka).

I have these cars in mind -

Petrol
Brio - I just fell in love with this car for its looks,engine and what it offers as a package and I would standout in "crowd", at least as of now.
i10 - Reliable , tested , proven product.
A-star Automatic - ease of driving,no other factor impressed me.
Swift - Same reason as i10 and idea of being part of a herd.
Ritz - Falls within budget and heard/read few good things about it.
Beat - VFM package.
i20 - Very spacious and good looking car with some cool features. that's it.

Diesel
Only diesel i could afford in this budget limit is Beat diesel.Hence included.

Now the obvious question - Which one should I go for ?
Appreciate your help and time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks