Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 17:28   #121
D4D
BHPian

Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I am looking to replace my 15 year old Fiat Uno with another hatch. Requirements as follows:
  • Petrol hatch with a peppy engine
  • 80:20 use for City:Highway
  • Fully loaded with all equipment
  • Reliable vehicle, good service
  • Manual, not auto

I have a couple of months to decide, I can wait for the new models to come.
You have not mentioned your budget.
  • Swift/Ritz are good hatches, but somewhat limited in legroom at rear seat. Not recommended if you're going to carry 5 people around for most of the time.
  • Liva/Etios Cross is a practical option. The 80 horses engine is not as good as on paper. Alternatively 1.5 TRD sportivo is a really good model. (But it doesn't make the cut for tax benefits)
  • If you're not the enthusiast type, i20 1.2 is great. It may not be the fastest, but don't get me wrong, it's capable of cruising at triple digit speeds. One major USP in the i20 is it's 295 ltr boot.
  • Alternatively, the Grand i10 might be one of your best choices. The 1.2 kappa2 is a gem.
  • Let me add: the Koreans are getting as close to Japanese on reliability.
  • I'm not too keen on fiat and tata petrols(Hardly seen any. T-Jet an exception.) Their Diesels are reliable workhorses.
  • If luggage space is not your priority, then Brio might be your best bet. Alternately if you can wait (long wait) for the new Jazz, it'll be worth it.
Old 7th May 2014, 17:35   #122
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Looking to buy a proper SUV in the Rs. 20-25L range. Diesel automatic is a must. Very good Ground clearance is a must so crossovers are a complete No. The options seem limited to Nissan X trail. Any suggestions are welcome please.

Also considering the Volvo XC60 Is anyone aware of any good deals on Volvo XC60?
No idea on Volvos. If brand image is not on the top of your priority list, why look beyond the Fortuner? Even the pajero sport has got AT, but I think HM-Mitsubishi ASS are an unknown commodity.

Fortuner has a diesel automatic, 221mm of GC, ladder-frame chassis.
Old 7th May 2014, 17:36   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You read me right I have a Chevy Aveo that we bought when a Ford Fiesta was an option, but we love it. Its quite peppy and drivable too.

Etios Cross Petrol, Punto 1.4 & Tata Bolt Revotron have 80+ HP engines and possibly good bottom end grunt too - hence my interest in these more than the others.
The Revotron ought to be fine, the Etios just doesn't seem modern enough and the Punto we have here in India, does not come with a single befitting power-plant. The day they plonk the T-Jet motor into the car, is when I can wholeheartedly recommend it to people. Otherwise 90bhp or not, the car just seems to struggle to lug its weight.
Old 7th May 2014, 17:45   #124
BHPian

@D4D

- Budget about 7 Lakhs.

- TRD Sportivo 1.5L engine is in Etios Cross too & I hear suspension & handling is better. Maybe this is a surprise package.

- agree Punto 1.4 engine is underwhelming

- yes grand i10 petrol seems a good option, will TD it too

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th May 2014, 17:58   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Petrol hatch with a peppy engine
80:20 use for City:Highway
Fully loaded with all equipment
Reliable vehicle, good service
Manual, not auto
Grand i10 all the way. No 2 ways about this one. This car is seriously loaded. I was recently planning to sell of my 10 year old lancer and buy a hatch and almost narrowed down to the grand i10. My vote goes for it.
Old 8th May 2014, 16:04   #126
DWC
BHPian

Looking to upgrade my 2001 Santro for a diesel hatch. Budget 8 lakhs.

Absolutely necessary:
1. responsive, powerful motor
2. basic safety like ABS and airbags
3. feature rich
4. decent bootspace

Ive narrowed down the upcoming Punto and Polo which rumours say will launch in June and July respectively. Don't really care about resale value.

Not considered the i20 as I shall be making a lot of weekend trips and need a car with good ride quality and handling. Swift has a dismal boot. Don't like the plain jane Liva. The Etios cross doesn't suit my fancy either.

Am I missing out on anything? Have I left something out? Looking forward to some sound advice on what to go for.
Old 8th May 2014, 16:21   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post

Absolutely necessary:
3. feature rich
4. decent bootspace

Ive narrowed down the upcoming Punto and Polo which rumours say will launch in June and July respectively. Don't really care about resale value.

Not considered the i20 as I shall be making a lot of weekend trips and need a car with good ride quality and handling. Swift has a dismal boot. Don't like the plain jane Liva. The Etios cross doesn't suit my fancy either.

Am I missing out on anything? Have I left something out? Looking forward to some sound advice on what to go for.
Chevy Sail UVA.

Absolutely necessary:
Diesel has adequate torque and power.

Available

3. feature rich
hmmm....

4. decent bootspace
Adequate. But don't pack in hard suitcases. Instead you can can use soft pliable bags. Also there is space under the rear seats.

You can read my ownership thread. I drive a Petrol variant.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 16:34   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely necessary:
3. feature rich
4. decent bootspace

- Polo does not have a powerful motor unless its GT TDI or TSi
- Punto 90HP is power, both the other engines feel underpowered
- Grand i10 has better handling than i20 - its petrol engine is peppy
- upcoming Tata Bolt Revotron has a potentially peppy engine too
- Chevy UVA Petrol is also good if u dont care about resale
Old 8th May 2014, 18:17   #129
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Chevy Sail UVA.

You can read my ownership thread. I drive a Petrol variant.
Thanks for widening my horizon, am going through your thread and will check out the car as well.

Quote:
- Polo does not have a powerful motor unless its GT TDI or TSi
- Punto 90HP is power, both the other engines feel underpowered
- Grand i10 has better handling than i20 - its petrol engine is peppy
- upcoming Tata Bolt Revotron has a potentially peppy engine too
- Chevy UVA Petrol is also good if u dont care about resale
I was referring to the upcoming Polo which hopefully will have the 1.5 diesel with the 4 pot motor. That might be a different ball game all together.
With regard to the Punto 90HP, I hear that outright power is negligible when compared to the regular 75 bhp. Will test drive both anyway.
The Grand i10 and Bolt don't make the mark as the wife doesn't like the way they look.
I'm also looking out for Diesel cars only, since my monthly travel hovers around the 1500 km mark.
Old 29th May 2014, 15:17   #130
BHPian

Folks,

I am in the market for a used car and have a budget of not more than 1 - 1.1 lakh. This would be used for office runs (about 25 kms a day) for 2-3 days a week and short trips near Mumbai once a month. The plan is to keep the car for not more than 2-3 years.

Thought of going in for a nice driver's car and have some fun on the ghat roads around Mumbai. Our other car (which is in Bangalore) is an i10 and I simply don't enjoy driving it. Hence the following choices:

1) Maruti Zen - 2004-05 (new shape) - getting a few decent ones in this budget
2) Maruti Esteem - 2003-05 - again, managed to locate 3-4 examples in decent condition
3) Honda City 2002-03 (old shape) - have located a couple of examples, but yet to ascertain their condition

Given that I already have a (significantly) big EMI for my home loan, I don't want to go in for a new car at this point of time. That decision is for 2-3 years later. So, your thoughts please folks.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 29th May 2014, 16:14   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Folks,

I am in the market for a used car and have a budget of not more than 1 - 1.1 lakh. This would be used for office runs (about 25 kms a day) for 2-3 days a week and short trips near Mumbai once a month. The plan is to keep the car for not more than 2-3 years.

Thought of going in for a nice driver's car and have some fun on the ghat roads around Mumbai. Our other car (which is in Bangalore) is an i10 and I simply don't enjoy driving it. Hence the following choices:

1) Maruti Zen - 2004-05 (new shape) - getting a few decent ones in this budget
2) Maruti Esteem - 2003-05 - again, managed to locate 3-4 examples in decent condition
3) Honda City 2002-03 (old shape) - have located a couple of examples, but yet to ascertain their condition
I'd say Honda City i-VTEC or the initial Maruti Zen.

Since you plan to do occasional trips, sedans would be better than hatchback's.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 16:40   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'd say Honda City i-VTEC or the initial Maruti Zen.

Since you plan to do occasional trips, sedans would be better than hatchback's.

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag.

Will the Honda will serve me for a couple of years without too much hassle or should I be wary of parts availability and running costs of a 2002 Honda City?
Old 29th May 2014, 16:43   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Thanks Anurag.

Will the Honda will serve me for a couple of years without too much hassle or should I be wary of parts availability and running costs of a 2002 Honda City?
The most MOD friendly car in India so I don't think parts should be an issue but you never know else add aftermarket parts!

I guess Honda should help you out.

Anurag.
Old 29th May 2014, 21:49   #134
Senior - BHPian

Honda City V-TEC if you're a sucker for the sweet motor, Otherwise the Suzuki Baleno if you like how easy-to drive, stable and chuck-able it is. Beware of cost of parts though.

If you are really into lowest cost of ownership, then try the Esteem or Zen
Old 16th June 2014, 19:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely necessary:
3. feature rich
4. decent bootspace

You can have a look at Ford Figo. It has a very responsive engine and has safety features that you mentioned. Also boot space is quite good.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed