Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2004, 11:41   #1

Can any one tell me whats the best car to buy with in 4 lacs. The running expense also should be low. I leave on the outskirts of Bangalore. The roads are very very bad. I do at least bout 40 kms perday. Can any one give me a good option. I cannot spend more than 4 lacs now. At the moment i have a Maruthi 800 (1985 model) Its going to complete 20 years this year end. I want to add another car so that i can run my old Maruthi sparingly. I love this car. Its run only 85000 kms. Its was alloted to us in the first 1000 that Maruthi launched. We bought it for 47000/-. The big problem is spare parts. But i have a good mechanic who does a good job when ever maintenance is demanded. Its in a good running condition. I would be not selling this car.
Looking fwd to a good advice from u all here..
Old 29th September 2004, 13:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey dsrins

Seeing your budget I guees the models to choose from can be the Alto Lxi with power steering or a Santro Xing . Both cars are doing well in the market. Both Maruti and Hyundai have good after sales service and are trouble free to run. Both are decent on fuel consumption as well. Are you looking for diesel? Then only you could consider the Indica diesel

Dippy
Old 29th September 2004, 13:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This may be a Team-BHP first, but I recommend the new Indica diesel to you.

1. The ride quality is superlative : A must for the bad roads that you have mentioned.
2. The diesel will more than take care of your running costs. The average of 14 - 16 kpl is astounding.
3. The newer Indicas are much more improved over their earlier brothers...and reliability is as good as any other car. You should not have any issues with this car till the 1 lac km mark.
4. Service is well-spread all over the country. And regular maintenance parts are dirt cheap.
5. For under 4 lac rupees, there is no other car that will offer you as much interior space, ride comfort and economy (diesel included).

Go for the Indica. You really wont regret it.

GTO
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2004, 15:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

GTO is right, the indica is the car u should be looking at.
drifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2004, 16:17   #5
BHPian

I dun think indica is a good choice i have seen maz. no. of cars go9in dead on the road and those were v2s as well they sound horrible ... i personally hate this car...
Old 29th September 2004, 16:39   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.. ya.. somehow... for the first time... I am also recommending the Indica!.. but as a second option : BAD roads being the only reason.
Santro and WagonR with their stiff suspensions will pitch all over on bad roads.

Well the first option should be Alto Lxi... it can give u another 20 years.

Though I don't think alto has much problems with bad roads... the rims do get out of shape very easily.

Won't say zen.... as the whole thing would rattle within months on bad roads.
Old 29th September 2004, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Hi,

Wont recommend Indica
- Its diesel for less than 2000 km a month..dont think it would be economical..
- If Indica rattles, being consistently driven on bad roads...Its existing NVH levels are pretty high..and after it starts ratteling...phew..it will be unbearable..

My recommendation : Santro...fuel economy, decent built, refinement, high resale or better still low-milage pre-owned bigger car

~maniac
Old 29th September 2004, 18:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

dont we get the Palio NV with power steering for approx 4.00 lak on road.
Though this would be high on fuel consumption.
FE is 1 kmpl less than the santro.
If fE is very important to u , the Alto is a good choice.
Old 29th September 2004, 19:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]dont we get the Palio NV with power steering for approx 4.00 lak on road.
Since I had been shopping for Palio, in Kolkata 1.2NV EL (without p.s) is apprx 3.69 & ELps is 3.9lakhs.
The prices might differ in other states plus dealer discounts might be there.
You can check out Palio also, its a sturdy car. (Though dont know much abt bad road handling of it.Definately someone from TBHP can help though)
Old 29th September 2004, 20:23   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Indica diesel is best if you want to save on running costs, and get better ride quality and safety in the bargain. Heres why...people talk about running above 2000 km/ month and only then picking a diesel. Guess what? Thats calculation is valid ONLY when you pay a lac in premium over the petrol counterpart. As has been the case with 99% of diesel cars sold in India.

But Tata does not charge you a 1 lac premium for its diesel engine. In fact, the price differential is only about 10,000 rupees or so. So you dont need to travel 2000 kms/month to recover the price differential

And yes, The Indica does offer you interior room and ride quality which the Zen/Alto/Maruti brigade can only fantasize about.

Lastly, todays Indicas are extremely reliable.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2004, 21:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well,is u can live with the Palio FE go for it.Else the Indica.
Its one of the best car for tough kinda roads,which are ur requirement.My friends Dad has one,and he is not happy with the car,especially the gearbox.
Palio or Indica.Ur choice.
X
Old 29th September 2004, 21:46   #12
BHPian

my father-in-law bought an indica to go around to his building sites and stuff..and he doesnt recommend it in 4-5 months of ownership..he started having problems and the car use to be in the workshop practically every week..id ont know you guys are saying it good, so i am assuming that his model was a lemon..otherwise i have not much to add cuz i have never driven one..i never really liked the looks and always hated mr. tata for it but oh well..its a good eco car i guess but if i were u i would be looking at palio..now i dont know how much those run..

Old 29th September 2004, 22:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey C4S

This Indica of your father in law... how old is it it? Which year model? Since the early Indicas were problematic like all Tata cars

The new V2s are very reliable

Dippy
Old 29th September 2004, 23:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dsrins.... Just close your eyes and go for a WagonR VXI.... You wont regret it.... another 20 yrs..... very reliable.... extremely easy to park and handle... good for bad roads too.... fuel economy better then Santro... and Palio... lots of legroom... lots of fun...
Old 29th September 2004, 23:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Dippy @ Sep. 29 2004,09:55)]Hey C4S

This Indica of your father in law... how old is it it? Which year model? Since the early Indicas were problematic like all Tata cars

The new V2s are very reliable

Dippy
He bought it this year in may..and yes its the V2
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks