Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 07:10   #16
BHPian

rider - hyundai i10 is already launched http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...unched-36.html
HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA - Hyundai i10
looks like you've been away for sometime
Old 2nd November 2007, 07:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
It is quite comfortable and much much more than Wagon R. It's lower seats are longer and cover the whole of thighs and are relaxing. For leg room, keep the front seats at 2nd position from extreme front. This way there is sufficient space for uptil 6 feet guys...
Tech,
I have NOT compared the rear seat of swift with WagonR's. I compared it with swift's competitors (getz, palio, U-VA).
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:15   #18
Ali
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for a Swift,Wagon R is outdated.Swift is a new design with great looks and you can get all you want.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Tech,
I have NOT compared the rear seat of swift with WagonR's. I compared it with swift's competitors (getz, palio, U-VA).
That's good. These cars may have better seats, I have not checked in so detail.

However a well informed customer having done a complete research before spending his hard earned moolah may want to look at a complete package which gives the most to the customer coupled with good resale value and after sales support. All Getz Palio U-VA will be bought by people who already have a Maruti or are tired of it or want to have a change or want to flaunt something different and have the budget to burn cash... as all have lower mileage, equal or more maintenance cost, mostly lower power and definately lower resale value. Even i10 is in Swift's cost range. We need to wait longer to see market reaction.

After suffering so much, will I sit comfortably in its seats ? Definately not.

However for WagonR its seats are ok if you do not compare with others as they are shorter in length hence leaving more leg room. Centre is a pain but side seats at back can be managed with depending on how long you drive.

However this is the height of comfort :

Last edited by Tech : 2nd November 2007 at 11:16.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Agree with you tech, and that is why I bought a Maruti. With swift and I10 almost at the same cost, I definitely would prefer Swift over i10.
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Swift would be my choice - Vxi - Better priced than Wagon R and i10 - i10 is a very good car it seems BUT less power.

So Swift it should be IMHO
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:15   #22
BHPian

Since you have shortlisted these cars, I dont want to talk about other cars. I think I will try to answer the questions that have put across.
Since you want the car to look contemporary after 5 yrs, its better you don't look for Wagon R right now. Wagon R might get replaced with Suzuki Splash by March 2008.
Regarding duo and the petrol variants of Wagon R, there is huge difference in running cost. The running cost of duo might come to an average of Rs. 2.25 per km and at the same time the petrol running cost will be Rs. 4-5. Performace would be far better for petrol, but the performance with gas is not bad taking into consideration the ecomomy.
ABS is not available with duo. Talking about ABS, you need to get used with ABS. It would be good to read about the working of ABS to get a better idea of the advantages of ABS and how to get used with ABS.
I dont feel that Swift is not a good car fro noobs. One of my colleagues just learned driving and bought a new Swift Vxi. It has just been couple of months and he is driving quite good now. I dont think it needs huge expertise. You just have to get used with the vehicle.
There shouldn't be significant difference in the maintainance costs, but when it comes to replacement of parts, definitely it would be costlier than Wagon R. But still in normal scenario, both Swift and WagonR are maintanance free vehicles.
If you enjoy to go for long drives, and you are a person who are a person who enjoys driving a lot, then Swift is the right choice. It might be slightly spacious compared to WagonR, but still when it comes to space, Hyundai Getz or Chevrolet Aveo U-VA would be much better compared to Swift (Only if space becomes a priority)
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:27   #23
BHPian

Hey, having owned a Wagon R Vxi for almost four years and now a Swift Zxi for 16 months would highly recommend the Swift Vxi.

The Wagin R is quite a capable car but you are right, it's quite dated. The Swift is a brand new platform and to add to the looks that you mentioned is an awesome car.

Wouldn't say after sales is more expensive than Wagon R, it's almost the same. Seating 4 is not a problem in Wagon R but in the Swift the passengers have a lot more legroom and travel in a lot more comfort.

My thumbs-up to the Swift Vxi.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:38   #24
BHPian

Agreed that WagonR is a dated model. But, doesn't Swift Vxi also have a dated engine (esteem engine, with some modifications)? So, among the two, WagonR seems to be better cost considering running costs like mileage & spares. Of course, as pointed in the other post, it also depends on your usage and top speed desired.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:22   #25
BHPian

The Swift is a great car to drive. An its maintenance is cheap from the reports I've got. Butttttt...
The rear seats are not comfortable.
There's very little space in the boot.
Mileage is very low in the city.
The Wagon R looks ugly. Might not be safe above a certain speed. But I've driven the car and it rocks.
The seating position is very comfortable.
Definitely got more space in the back.
Mileage is more than the Swift.
If you want a good looking car, go for the Swift. But if you want a practical car, and the Wagon R's advantages are worth reckon, go for the Wagon R.
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:45   #26
BHPian

Engines may be dated but it doesn't mean that they are dead and cannot pull the car. In fact the esteem engine is a time tested engine and brings with itself satisfaction and mental peace.

Wagon R at 3.8 lac is too close to Swift Vxi at 4.28 lacs. In fact the Swift Lxi is only 4.08 lacs. And with WagonR it feels that you have spent so much and got a puny small car. With Swift there is a mental contentment that it is a bigger car with space more or less equivalent to that of C segment. Swift still today has a a premium feel to it. You feel good at spending that amount and having got a premium car. It feels too smooth in driving. It is eager to rev hard. It has got great handling capabilities. It's a truly driver's car.

WagonR scores over practicality where in cities you feel a need for space to squeeze your car through the hustle and bustle quickly. With a swift it is more likely that you will have to wait for others to create space for you and most likely many may give a bad dent to your car. Ouch It hurts !!! You'll find more bruised Swifts than WagonRs.

Also WagonR has much more low end torque for pulling the car in cities so that it creates a comfort level whereas swift is a pain here. The older WagonR allowed to pull the seats to back creating a complete bed - this is missing in the new wagon r s.

Some people say highway mileage of WagonR is 18-20 whereas Swift may touch 15 or so. But on highway WagonR would feel too much riskier where the Swift ---- man you'll love to cruise it at top speeds. It's a dream.

So you cannot have both the worlds. Mileage / Comfort / Driving pleasure... Make your preferences and then choose.

Swift's resale value (35-37%) is higher than WagonR (50%) as per overdrive.

Both have their own advantages over each other.
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with Tech. Both have their own advantages over each other.

If you drive on highways, Swift is the one to go for. It handles like a dream and the engine is rev friendly (As always Japanese). Low end torque of Swift is not good and is not suitable for city drive, especially bumper to bumper traffic as in bangalore. Wagon R low end torque is better and it is a practical car. For city drive and driving pleasure, swift diesel is the best.What an engine!!
Old 3rd November 2007, 03:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
rider - hyundai i10 is already launched http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...unched-36.html
HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA - Hyundai i10
looks like you've been away for sometime
dude only the bookings are open yet and the actual delivery has not yet begun not atleast here in hyderabad! well they have not even put a word here in hyderabad showrooms when i enquired like 3-5 days back!
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:23   #29

hyundai i10 is definitely an option since its new, but no one knows its reliability. apart from india hyundai has launched i30 in europe but again its a new car in d market. on the other hand swift is definitely a good option.. already in the market, tested and reliable.
Old 5th November 2007, 12:31   #30

thanks for overwhembling response I got.
now I have no doubt about swift and I decided to go for swift
thanks again.

rakesh

Most Viewed